Allo Volt+ D Upgrade

CDavis1999

Allo Volt+ D Upgrade
« on: 6 Aug 2020, 08:27 pm »
Looking to upgrade my speaker amplifier for my Triangle Borea BR03s. I have an Allo Volt+ D hooked up to a Schiit Modi 3 and would like to get a little more output than what the Volt can do. Have a budget of around $350, any opinions/recommendations?

ooheadsoo

Re: Allo Volt+ D Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2020, 11:21 pm »
This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I think you should try adding a subwoofer.  Maybe plug the ports to raise the crossover point so the woofers on the BR03 don't have to work as hard.  A 6 inch woofer will only take you so far.  60 watts from the Allo should be plenty.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:15 am »
Go used.  Take a look at Audiogon.  Here is a nice Music Hall integrated just a little above your budget

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa29ej-music-hall-a30-3-stereo-integrated-amplifier-a-30-3-remote-no-dig-inputs-24443-solid-state

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:27 pm »
The 85w of that Music Hall will give you about 1.5db more headroom over your 60w Allo.  Even if you went for a 150w monster amp, it would be giving you only about 4db headroom.  Adding a sub is better value, IMO.  If you dial it in correctly, you will get lower distortion and greater frequency range response. 

Of course, if you're set on an amp being the next step, I'll stop now.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:52 pm »
The 85w of that Music Hall will give you about 1.5db more headroom over your 60w Allo.  Even if you went for a 150w monster amp, it would be giving you only about 4db headroom.  Adding a sub is better value, IMO.  If you dial it in correctly, you will get lower distortion and greater frequency range response. 

Of course, if you're set on an amp being the next step, I'll stop now.  :thumb:

True about the 1.5 db but the Music Hall almost doubles it power at 4 ohms putting out 160wpc.  That tells me that the power supply is robust and it probably is a high current design.  Music will be more dynamic and punchy especially on peaks. The amp should not run out of steam.  Bass should have more thump and the music should sound fuller. Those speakers are 90db, easy to drive and should play screaming loud at 85wpc.  However, they are bookshelf speakers and a good sub would certainly fill in the bass and greatly improve the sound.  Other advantages are that the MH has a DAC, Phono pre and it has a preamp out along with Bluetooth.

The power rating on the Volti amp is misleading.  It says 60wpc but that is if you have a 23v PS.  It comes with a 19v and is rated max 50 wpc at 4 and 8 ohm.  Not so robust.  Even at 50 wpc it should play very loud with 90db speakers at 8 ohm.  So there is an obvious problem if the OP needs more volume.  Here are the actual spec's-

FEATURES CLOSER LOOK TECH SPECS  SUPPORT & DOWNLOADS
Technical Specifications
Chipset   TPA3118D2
Output   2 x 50W (Max) into a 4 to 8-Ω BTL Load
Class D Operation   90% POWER EFFICIENCY
SNR   102dB
Supply Voltage   UP TO 24V DC
Operating Temperature   -40°C to 85°C Ambient
Board Size   LWH = 82.83mm * 125.5mm * 40.2mm
DC Connector Size   3mm x 7.3mm
Mating Plug Size   3mm x 6.5mm
Board Weight   230g

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS BR03
Number of drivers
Number of ways
Sensitivity
90 dB/W/m
Frequency range
46 Hz – 22 KHz (+/- 3 dB)
Power handling
100 W
Nominal impedance
8 Ω
Minimum impedance
4,2 Ω
High frequency roll-off
3600 Hz
Dimensions
206 x 380 x 314
Weight
6,26 kg

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2020, 04:42 pm »
No doubt an amp with more power and features has its own set of significant advantages, and the Volti's power supply could certainly be more robust.  However, I think this is fundamentally a speaker/room problem.  Agreed, 50w should be plenty loud, especially at a 90db/w/m rating.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2020, 04:57 pm »
 I would skip that MH as its digital inputs are not working.  Although if you just wanted it for analog then you could probably talk down the price.

rotarius

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2020, 10:25 pm »
The max power rating is inflated, probably at 10% THD.  It is closer to 25w with that chip and power supply.  So yeah, definitely upgrade.  If you can get a used yamaha A-S500 or 501 it will be a good upgrade.

2wo

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2020, 11:24 pm »
Go for the subwoofer, even if you do need more amp, you'l still have a subwoofer  8)...John 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2020, 11:35 pm »
Scoop this one up if you can, for $399 it is a steal, hell I am thinking about buying it for a bedroom system-

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa488d-cambridge-audio-azur-840a-stereo-integrated-amplifier-840-a-remote-26955-solid-state

ooheadsoo

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2020, 01:03 am »
The max power rating is inflated, probably at 10% THD.  It is closer to 25w with that chip and power supply.  So yeah, definitely upgrade.  If you can get a used yamaha A-S500 or 501 it will be a good upgrade.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/allo-volt-d-double-diy-forums-legend-with-horrible-datasheet-specs.13211/

Doesn't seem terrible. Compare that to woofer distortion at high spl. A better amp may help the situation, but it wouldn't be my first option. How about both? :)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2020, 08:34 pm »

Totally agree.  Also consider a Cambridge Audio AXR85,  Onkyo Tx8260 and the Denon DRA-800H. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2020, 10:04 am »
Consider the $31 high gain FX-Audio Tube-01 preamp to pair with the Volt+D.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2020, 10:20 am »
Better still is to use a more powerful power supply. You're probably using a 19v or 24v with the Volt+D but you can use up to and including a 31v.

Audio Science Review had excellent testing results with the +D and in those tests used a 31v power supply.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/allo-volt-d-amplifier-review.15539/