Re: How go the "Julietta's"?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2009, 11:25 pm »
Interesting design

any reason why it's a Monopole bass....
Rick have you ever had the oppurtunity to
do a dipole bass section?

Looking forward to seeing you once again at
RMAF....and seeing what you bring out.

Since the DEQX will control the sub a monopole design wasn't needed; in addition, the anchoring of the sub for the array section made a monopole unit more practical. I've not designed any dipole bass sections but with a good active unit it's not difficult to do.

Sorry but I won't be at the show this year. I may make it down to the Dallas area sometime later this year or early 2010.

tbrooke

« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:08 am »
Now your talking

They look great !1

Tom

My cheap digital camera really doesn't do them justice. You can come see and hear them in a few weeks.

Keep me posted

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2009, 12:43 pm »
Now your talking

They look great !1

Tom

My cheap digital camera really doesn't do them justice. You can come see and hear them in a few weeks.

Keep me posted

Waiting on the wire to arrive...

zimonsays

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:25 pm »
They Look AMAZING!! :drool: :drool: :drool: Very unique. 8)
Which Raal are you using? What driver are you using for the subs?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:57 pm »

nicksgem10s

« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:24 pm »
Wow!    :o

Those look amazing Rick.  I was really sorry that I couldn't make it out for the demo to check them out.

I hope to hear them in the future.  You did an amazing job on them.

I think bamboo is a special material for audio gear.  They came out spectacular.

-Nick

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:28 am »
Wow!    :o

Those look amazing Rick.  I was really sorry that I couldn't make it out for the demo to check them out.

I hope to hear them in the future.  You did an amazing job on them.

I think bamboo is a special material for audio gear.  They came out spectacular.

-Nick

I thought you were in Michigan? Thanks but much of what you see is the work of my cabinetmaker and finisher.

tbrooke

« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:12 am »
Beautiful Speakers

zimonsays

« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:40 am »
WOW!!  :drool: :drool: :thumb: :green:

Those look INCREDIBLE!!!! :drool: :thumb: :thumb: :green: :drool:

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:42 pm »
Very nice and I like that you are pushing the limits!  Now that my friend has a pair of your sealed line arrays and I own a pair of RC-5Gs I can say the line arrays have a larger soundstage and bigger sweet spot.  He picked up the older line arrays with rounded cabinet recently sold on audiogon. 

I may have missed previous posts on the subject, but why an open baffle design for the line array?  It seems there is growing interest in this type of speaker.  I guess for years I have listened to posts and designers talk about how important it was to have a speaker box to stop the back wave so it didn't interfere with the front wave.  This seems to turn that thinking upside down.  I know there are probably endless white papers and posts on this subject elsewhere so I was looking more for your general thought on the subject.  What does the open baffle now add to the incredible soundstage that you were already able to get with a boxed line array?  Do you feel that this statement speaker is the best evolution of speaker design right now?  Could these be kept close to a wall without major problems to the sound?

Thanks Rick!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 23 Oct 2009, 04:26 pm »
Beautiful Speakers

Thanks - sorry you didn't get to hear them - you need a pair.  :wink:

BobM

« Reply #31 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:24 pm »
Rick - I thought you said that these were one-off's because the work involved in building them was HUGE?

srb

« Reply #32 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:41 pm »
Rick - I thought you said that these were one-off's because the work involved in building them was HUGE?

The unusual design.  The cool materials.  The level of construction detail.  Those multiple lucious drivers.

But earlier in the thread when I asked "how much?", the reply was "About $17K with shipping".

I assumed that meant "order yours now".  You in?

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 24 Oct 2009, 12:10 am »
Very nice and I like that you are pushing the limits!  Now that my friend has a pair of your sealed line arrays and I own a pair of RC-5Gs I can say the line arrays have a larger soundstage and bigger sweet spot.  He picked up the older line arrays with rounded cabinet recently sold on audiogon. 

I may have missed previous posts on the subject, but why an open baffle design for the line array?  It seems there is growing interest in this type of speaker.  I guess for years I have listened to posts and designers talk about how important it was to have a speaker box to stop the back wave so it didn't interfere with the front wave.  This seems to turn that thinking upside down.  I know there are probably endless white papers and posts on this subject elsewhere so I was looking more for your general thought on the subject.  What does the open baffle now add to the incredible soundstage that you were already able to get with a boxed line array?  Do you feel that this statement speaker is the best evolution of speaker design right now?  Could these be kept close to a wall without major problems to the sound?

Thanks Rick!

You need some room behind a dipole (3-4 ft. or more) to take advantage of the rear radiation. The midrange is more "open" sounding - no cabinet reflections / coloration plus it adds depth to the soundstage. This is better than an "open back" enclosure which can actually be very resonant and doesn't function as a true dipole. Dipoles are more diffuse than a monopole, in essence, the room becomes the "box". For that reason room treatments of the area behind the speaker can help control the rear output.

Dipole arrays are a real structural challenge in terms of supporting the weight of all the drivers (64 lbs. in this case!). To overcome this we used very expensive materials (carbon fiber veneer,baltic birch ply, carbon fiber rods, and bamboo ply) for a very stiff and non-resonant frame that only weighs 31 lbs.! I know of no other array (or conventional speaker for that matter) that has all of these materials plus RAAL ribbons and Scan-Speak Illuminator drivers! The owner wanted something over the top and that's exactly what we did.  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #34 on: 24 Oct 2009, 02:59 am »

Yes, quite a bit of work but I look forward to building the next pair! This pair can be duplicated again and again...  :thumb:

tbrooke

« Reply #35 on: 24 Oct 2009, 03:02 am »
Beautiful Speakers

Thanks - sorry you didn't get to hear them - you need a pair.  :wink:

I'm saving my $$ -  I wish I could have heard them