Wedgie Crossover

mkane

Danny Richie

Re: Wedgie Crossover
« Reply #61 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:20 am »
You get higher quality inductors in the Wedgie kit.

Early B.

« Reply #62 on: 7 Feb 2019, 01:06 am »
My 0.1uF Miflex caps arrived today. When you said they're HUGE, you weren't kidding. I just ordered Miflex KPAL 2.2uF caps, so I expect them to be ridiculously oversized.

The Miflex 2.2uF cap arrived today. Far bigger than I anticipated. Darn thing weighs about a pound.

Here's the crossover before/after/way after...

Next step -- clean it up and tie it all down.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #63 on: 7 Feb 2019, 01:13 am »
Your 2.2uf capacitor is bigger than your inductor :lol:

mkane

« Reply #64 on: 7 Feb 2019, 01:59 am »

Early B.

« Reply #65 on: 10 Feb 2019, 11:51 pm »
Here is the finished cap upgrade:

IMO, it looks impressive in a DIYish sort of way. Note the Speakon connector for the speaker cable. I removed high end Furutech binding posts and spades, but it didn't seem to matter. Speakons make audio life so much easier.

The crossover is now too large to enclose in a box, so I'm going to leave it naked and unashamed. So how does it sound? Well, with only a few hours of break-in, the sound is overall better without a doubt. More detailed and dynamic, definitely.

A big thumbs up for the Miflex caps.

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 11 Feb 2019, 12:49 am »
Here is the finished cap upgrade:

IMO, it looks impressive in a DIYish sort of way. Note the Speakon connector for the speaker cable. I removed high end Furutech binding posts and spades, but it didn't seem to matter. Speakons make audio life so much easier.

Swap out the Speak On's for a set of tube connectors and it will be like lifting a vale from the whole speaker. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 11 Feb 2019, 12:54 am »
Note the Speakon connector for the speaker cable. I removed high end Furutech binding posts and spades, but it didn't seem to matter. Speakons make audio life so much easier.
Nice job using the best audio connectors for speakers and power!   :thumb:

mkane

« Reply #68 on: 11 Feb 2019, 01:24 am »
 How about a hardwire from the crossover to the speaker?

Early B.

« Reply #69 on: 11 Feb 2019, 01:37 am »
How about a hardwire from the crossover to the speaker?

I may do that once I'm done tinkering with the crossover. For now, it's very convenient for the crossover not to be hardwired to the speaker.

Early B.

« Reply #70 on: 11 Feb 2019, 01:43 am »
Swap out the Speak On's for a set of tube connectors and it will be like lifting a vale from the whole speaker.

I had tube connectors on my previous speakers. I prefer the Speakons for their convenience and lock-in capability.

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 11 Feb 2019, 02:20 pm »
I had tube connectors on my previous speakers. I prefer the Speakons for their convenience and lock-in capability.

I like them for the same reason. We use them on our servo subs. They work fine for that application. But for the upper frequency ranges the disparity between the performance of Speakon connectors and tube connectors are too great.

mkane

« Reply #72 on: 13 Feb 2019, 03:42 pm »
 Some botique parts in Wedgies. Bypass caps not in place yet.

Tyson

« Reply #73 on: 13 Feb 2019, 07:07 pm »
Some botique parts in Wedgies. Bypass caps not in place yet.

You got the wax inductors - nice!  I tried them on a lark, originally.  Figured there was no way an inductor could have much affect on sound, especially compared to a cap.  But I'll be damned if it didn't make a nice improvement.

mkane

« Reply #74 on: 14 Feb 2019, 03:03 am »
 Shipped fast. I was very surprised. On my 1st album side now. Off the top, these are dark compared to the others I've tried. Kind of like rolling output amps in a solid state phono stage.  I'll go in and shorten leads on inductors once I'm satisfied with the layout.

Tyson

« Reply #75 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:19 am »
They open up quite a bit after about 100 hours, but never lose their beautifully rich tonality.