what albums are 'your' ---better-records---

2bigears

what albums are 'your' ---better-records---
« on: 15 Nov 2008, 09:51 pm »
 :D  you know,the ones that sound just way-good.some people pay 400 to 500 bucks for these.i dug out a Cars-Heartbeat City and cleaned it up and dropped the needle to my new standard now.never heard anything so smooth with killer bass before.also Genesis,the song Home by the Sea and Second Sea kicks major ass.don't think cd's stand a chance gainst' a well rounded record.vinyl is to cool,soooo good... :thumb:

Derockster

Re: what albums are 'your' ---better-records---
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2008, 11:38 pm »
You say you don't think.I say they don't stand a chance. :thumb:

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2008, 01:44 pm »
2bigears:

Give "Riding With The King", BB King and Eric Clapton a spin.  Excellent separation on the guitars (all instruments actually).  You can hear them finishing each others chords and highlighting/enhancing each others styles.  I have described the playing as "one brain attached to four hands."   :o

The only problem I find with the recording is that it is hard to stay in the "sweet spot" when I am up dancing around the room!   :D

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:38 pm »
45 12" generally sound better than the 33 equivalent.  Bob Marley's Exodus 12" single is a good example.  You can sometimes get deals on "blank" cover test pressings for cheap -- just a plain white cover.  These may not have much resale value but the music is good, e.g. Sonny Rollins' Way Out West by Analog Productions from Acoustic Sounds.  They were selling these from $5 to $10 but they may have discontinued this.  Direct to Disc records can be really good.  I picked up a water damaged Sheffield Lab Ride of the Valkyries by Eric Leinsdorf from a garage sale for a $1.00 -- the record was pristine in a plastic lined inner sleeve. 

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:56 pm »
McLaughlin, DeMeola and De Lucia - "Friday Night in San Francisco" (a perrenial favorite)

Philippe Saisse - "Valerian"

Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Couldn't Stand the Weather"

Dire Straits - "Making Movies" especially, but all are pretty good

Michael Hedges - "Aerial Boundaries"

Metheny/Mays - "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls"

Cat Stevens - anything

Alan Parsons - pretty much anything

most anything on the ECM label (Eberhard Weber, early Metheny, etc.)

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2008, 02:57 pm »
2bigears,

Good call. I have most of the Cars on LP and they are recorded very well, especially that album. I also love Rik Ocasek's solo album (with "Poetry in Motion"). It is 3D.

Andreas Vollenweiders entire collection (on CBS) is very consistant and of superior quality. I also think the FIXX was recorded very well.
Roger Waters, Alan Parsons, Yes, XTC, Thomas Dolby, Depesche Mode and even Billy Idol LPs are are sonically entertaining.

WaYner

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!

ricmon

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2008, 12:01 am »
to long to list.  I'll go through my stack of favorites and make a list.   No kidding I have a nice collection of really good to super good sounding vinyl.  :thumb:

Derockster

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2008, 12:31 am »
Red Hot Ray Brown Trio

Grover Washington Winelight

Oliver Jones Trio Just Friends

Oliver Jones Cooking At The Sweet Basil

Oliver Jones Requestfully Yours

Al Jarreau  Glow

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:35 pm »
Blue Monday by New Order. The 12" version (I think it's 33.3 speed). It's the same one that the guy in Shawn of the Dead was gonna fling at the Zombies when his buddy stopped him (NOT my Blue Monday, mate, or something like that).

I think it was the largest selling 12" of all time. Lots of thumping bass, lots of added layers, choruses, etc. Definitely synthesized so it's not like trying to discern the individual timbres and voices of natural instruments, but entertaining as hell!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:51 pm »
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon is the largest selling LP of all time.

Wayner

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2008, 12:19 am »
:D  hey thanks for the hits.i thought all records would be better,but when i spun that Cars disc,i was blown into real happiness.gotta find more records like that.the guys at better records charge 500 bucks for good ones,holy cowsa !!!!! :D   another one is The Long Run by Eagles of course.great album :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:45 am »
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon is the largest selling LP of all time.

Wayner

Blue Monday:
More like the largest selling 12 SINGLE of all time.
Hey, I could still be wrong...
Nah!~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(New_Order_song)

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:54 am »
Andreas Vollenweiders entire collection (on CBS) is very consistant and of superior quality.
WaYner

Took your advice. Had forgotten about it them, thanks. I agree, great sound.
May try Kitaro next...

Paul