if you were to buy a new TT mid priced-real world ????

2bigears

:D need a TT for a start to none dig play-back.have a trans-DAC feeding a VAC pre with MM and MC,dna-500 feeding SP Revs.......need a TT that a person can set-up and run himself out of the box,and one that will fit the system.any help thks much as i really need to hear some sweeet vinyl...... :D

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: if you were to buy a new TT mid priced-real world ????
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:52 am »
what is mid-priced?  does $1200 qualify?  if so, better hurry!   :wink:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1213283905

you missed out on one w/less tweaks & no arm, for $500 - a killer deal, to be sure.

if you need to spend less than $1200, i would recommend any of the wintage empire decks.  the older non-suspended chasis models offer easier swap-out of better (ie: o-l modded rega rb250) tonearms...

doug s.

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2008, 05:07 am »
the Marantz table sourced from Clearaudio is actually a bargin at $1500 ready to play. Alot of the term "mid priced" is somewhat vague. If it's $2500 then a VPI is well worth the look. If your thinking $3K; you might want to check out the Opera line. I bought one for less than $1700 set up for two arms (Graham or Rega). Not quite as nice as my Final Tool, but a bargin for the price when you think about adding an Origin tone arm to the $1700 price tag.
gary

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:20 pm »
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATPL120HIFI&Category_Code=TURN

If you're new or returning to vinyl, you're stop here is likely worthwhile....and cheap and all set up, to boot.  Just run it to your MM phono stage and you're off enjoying vinyl.  You can always move up from here once you acclimate yourself to vinyl (again?)

Expect to hear your TransDac a lot less in the near future  :wink:

John

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm »
As those before said....what's your definition of 'Mid-Priced' ??

This forum has alot of supporters of the Technics DD variants, so help is always available there.

Myself, I'm a VPI guy, again plenty of options there as well.

Mail order offers good sources like........Acoustic Sounds(speak with Chad Stelly), Elusive disc, Music Direct, Todd the Vinyl Junkie, to name but a few.

For good "Plug 'n Play" options, tabels from ProJect and Music Hall will also give you many options in what ever your "mid" point is.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:47 pm »
:D  thks guys,i am going this route as a result of a phrase from a certain close party saying he would be gone from audio not coming across that big old black disc,strong words indeed.i need to spin vinyl in the worst way now.i was told to go big or go home at a shop in the big city.he said spend 4k if you can and 6k would do it right.i thought that was kinda hi side ???? the less moves the better for sure,but i can't set up a hi end TT myself and that's for sure. :D

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:55 pm »
i was told to go big or go home at a shop in the big city.he said spend 4k if you can and 6k would do it right.i thought that was kinda hi side ???? the less moves the better for sure,but i can't set up a hi end TT myself and that's for sure. :D

"Big City Boys with their Big City BS"  !! You can easily accomplish puting together a very satisfy analog front end for ALOT less than 6k !

As far as set-up, pick up Mikey Fremers  "21st Centurt Vinyl" DVD, a practical guide to TT set-up. It will help you overcome many ill-conceived fears !
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2008, 01:46 pm by twitch54 »

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:06 pm »
:D  most grateful,take it slow is the path most people advise....is it a wonder the brick-and-mortar shops are on the death bed with stuff like this.a 6k baby step is harsh.i was thinking mid price was maybe 2 or 3k to get the feet wet with some good stuff.but,i really don't know two squeaks bout' the latest TT's ???? :D

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:45 pm »
:D  most grateful,take it slow is the path most people advise....is it a wonder the brick-and-mortar shops are on the death bed with stuff like this.a 6k baby step is harsh.i was thinking mid price was maybe 2 or 3k to get the feet wet with some good stuff.but,i really don't know two squeaks bout' the latest TT's ???? :D
Pat,

I was in exactly the same boat in terms of my setup abilities and rather intimidated by it.  I bought a nice used VPI Scoutmaster and upgraded it piece by piece from there as budget allowed.  It is ridiculously easy to set up as TT's go, even for a TT dunce like me.  I bought a HFN&RR disc, $30 Chinese digital stylus guage, and just used the other alignment tools supplied with the VPI TT.  The newer MF DVD is probably a great bet too.  Even the little fulcrum type Shure stylus gauge is close enough for most needs.  I found it was really all about getting the basics right first.  I also had a Sota Star that was the same way (easy).  Linns LP12's are nice too but a dealer is highly desirable, at least at first.  All are highly available at reasonable cost used.  Good luck!

Tom

jmpiwonka

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:55 pm »

if you need to spend less than $1200, i would recommend any of the vintage empire decks.  the older non-suspended chasis models offer easier swap-out of better (ie: o-l modded rega rb250) tonearms...

doug s.

i hope that's right because that's what i did. found a 208 with no arm for a reasonable price...it's moving along but i'm in no rush.
this is what it looked like when i first got it. most importantly, the motor works and the bearing looks to be in great shape.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:56 pm »
if you're at $2-$3k for entry level, then the $1200 oracle set-up i recommended is a true no-brainer.  it's plug-n-play, & as-is, it will hold its own against any $6k set-up your dealer is pushing.  down the road, you can always upgrade the oracle w/latest suspension & bearing, & upgrade the power supply to origin-live.  and, tho the tonearm on that deck is excellent, you could upgrade there, too, if you wanted to....  fully tricked out oracles compete w/the best, imo..

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:59 pm »

if you need to spend less than $1200, i would recommend any of the vintage empire decks.  the older non-suspended chasis models offer easier swap-out of better (ie: o-l modded rega rb250) tonearms...

doug s.

i hope that's right because that's what i did. found a 208 with no arm for a reasonable price...it's moving along but i'm in no rush.
this is what it looked like when i first got it. most importantly, the motor works and the bearing looks to be in great shape.

i owned one of those - you will be wery happy!   :green:

doug s.

mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2008, 02:00 pm »
You might want to check out the ProJect line.

They seem to have a TT for every budget, up to where the real serious money starts.

-Mike

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2008, 02:01 pm »
:D  thks guys,i am going this route as a result of a phrase from a certain close party saying he would be gone from audio not coming across that big old black disc,strong words indeed.i need to spin vinyl in the worst way now.i was told to go big or go home at a shop in the big city.he said spend 4k if you can and 6k would do it right.i thought that was kinda hi side ???? the less moves the better for sure,but i can't set up a hi end TT myself and that's for sure. :D

I'd recommend the AT-PL120 and a $200 record cleaning machine from Nitty Gritty (seriously helpful for LP enjoyment).  Once you add it record cleaning supplies and a few other doo-dads (like isolation products), you're at about $700 - a fine place to start.  Once you move on, as you will wonder what that next price level will get you, you'll still have the record cleaner and doo-dads and you can sell your AT-PL120 on A'gon or ebay and not lose much.

If you take a step into the world of $2K+ wonders, which may or may not play any better than the AT, you may be looking at steeper losses as you learn your craft.

If the folks at TONE Audio like the AT (and they did, back a few months ago), I'm certain it's a good deck for the money. No belts to jiggle with if you play 45's, nor belts to stretch, slip off or need to be replaced.  I'm not anti-belt drive - I'm just citing the realities of ownership for a newbie  :)

Without a properly regulated speed supply, your deck may sound no better than yesterday's average cassette deck.  FG Servo, direct drives made in China at economical prices are the least expensive entry to attaining serious speed control.

For $10 more, LPGear will likely let you upgrade the stylus to a Shibata version.  You take it out of the box, place it somewhere nice and isolated (birch cutting boards from IKEA are great, and cheap) and you'll be out-of-your mind with happiness likely. 

Your TransDac, as good as it may be, can never better the middling performance of Redbook to begin with.

John

Dan_ed

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2008, 03:06 pm »
What does the budget need to cover? Phono stage? Tonearm? Cartridge? Cleaning supplies?

Yes, you can get started on the cheap. But if you do like the effort and reward of vinyl you'll be quickly on the upgrade wagon. Then again, I've known people to start cheap, swear their CDP is so much better, and give up on vinyl.

My advice is to buy the best you can afford of everything now. Even if you are just now learning to setup a 'table, it works the same on a $200 arm/cart combo as it does on a $20K arm/cart combo. The used market is a good place to look for anything you are interested in, except cartridges. Be very, very careful buying used cartridges.

Norman Tracy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2008, 03:25 pm »
Norman,

The new Denon's are pale imitations of their illustrious forebears of past years......one is far better off venturing into the world of used Denon's than buying the new ones offered now. 

The Denon's with the electronic Q-damped arms are the stars in the old line of Denon's.

Regards, John

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2008, 03:47 pm »
 :D  lotsa real good advice,i am with you Dan_ed on getting best up front as the less moves the better.i think all in for a couple grand would float my boat,25 hun tops.thks  :D  :scratch:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2008, 03:52 pm »
These are nice! 
http://www.teresaudio.com/

Here is a used one:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1213235796

yes they are, & that's a great deal.  but, i would still choose an oracle.  a buddy of mine (woodsyi) has both a teres & an oracle set up side-by-side.  i prefer the oracle for the simple reason that its platter is ever-so-slightly concave.  this means that when you clamp down a record, it sits tight to the platter at the edge.  even slightly warped records flatten out.  this is not the case w/the teres, or any flat-platter deck, for that matter.  there are other ways of handling this - vacuum hold-down, perimeter clamping rings, etc.  imo, slightly concave platter works best, i am not sure why there aren't more platters machined this way...

if woodsyi's rim-drive teres offers better speed stability than his oracle, i didn't hear it, tho it should, theoretically, as its lead-weighted platter truly is massive...

ymmv,

doug s.

lazydays

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2008, 11:55 pm »
:D  Th's guys,i am going this route as a result of a phrase from a certain close party saying he would be gone from audio not coming across that big old black disc,strong words indeed.i need to spin vinyl in the worst way now.i was told to go big or go home at a shop in the big city.he said spend 4k if you can and 6k would do it right.i thought that was kinda hi side ???? the less moves the better for sure,but i can't set up a hi end TT myself and that's for sure. :D

$4K!! Well you've got a lot to choose from, but I think I'd buy a VPI Scout Signature with a good cartridge (maybe a Blackbird). Your also gonna need a phone stage, and I'd recommend a Wright WP200 (used) for about $650. I've also come to like the ZU cables for my turntables; even though my tone arm cable is a Vandehul right now.
    Lastly; if you buy the table from somebody like Acoustic Sounds or The Elusive Disc along with the cartridge, they'll set it up for you. Then all you'll need to do is level it and set the tracking force.
In closing let me be the first to welcome you into the world of real music!
Gary