pickering xv-15 1200e Cartridge

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
pickering xv-15 1200e Cartridge
« on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:33 am »
Can anyone give me any info on this cartridge? I got it from a turntable that was given to me, i was wondering if i could get more info on the specs, and also if anyone could compare it to a NAGAOKA  MP-100 MM or an Ortofon 2m red, as those are two cartridges i wanna get. Thanks!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: pickering xv-15 1200e Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:39 am »
1970's design.... top of the line. Still sell for $100.
Type
Moving Magnet
Output Voltage
4.4 mV
Freq Response
10Hz - 30kHz
Tracking Force
0.5 - 1.25 g
Mass
5.5 g
Channel Separation
35 dB
Channel Balance
Load Impedance
47k Ω
Output Impedance
D1200
Stylus Tip
0.2 x 0.7 mil Elliptical
Cantilever
Dynamic Compliance
Static Compliance
Price
$250

EZHusky

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:26 am »
Type
Moving Magnet
Output Voltage
4.4 mV
Freq Response
10Hz - 30kHz
Tracking Force
0.5 - 1.25 g
Mass
5.5 g
Channel Separation
35 dB
Channel Balance
Load Impedance
47k Ω
Output Impedance
D1200
Stylus Tip
0.2 x 0.7 mil Elliptical
Cantilever
Dynamic Compliance
Static Compliance
Price
$250

So it would be worth comparing it to the ortofon 2m red and nagaoka mp-100?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:47 am »
Can anyone give me any info on this cartridge? I got it from a turntable that was given to me, i was wondering if i could get more info on the specs, and also if anyone could compare it to a NAGAOKA  MP-100 MM or an Ortofon 2m red, as those are two cartridges i wanna get. Thanks!

Wow, Nagaoka and the 2m Red are on opposite ends of warm and bright with the 2m being bright and grainy and the Nag being warmer and smoother.  Can't help ya with the pickering though, never heard one.

EZHusky

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:01 am »
Wow, Nagaoka and the 2m Red are on opposite ends of warm and bright with the 2m being bright and grainy and the Nag being warmer and smoother.  Can't help ya with the pickering though, never heard one.
Oh really? guess i should have looked into it more, thats my mistake

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:11 am »
Oh really? guess i should have looked into it more, thats my mistake

I own a Nagaoka MP-200 and MP-150 which have similar tone.  I tried a 2m Red in 2 different systems and while it is dynamic and musical, it was fatiguing, noisy, grainy and bright in comparison.  The Nagaoka MP-110 is suppose to be warmer than the MP-150 and MP-200.

EZHusky

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:13 am »
I own a Nagaoka MP-200 and MP-150 which have similar tone.  I tried a 2m Red in 2 different systems and while it is dynamic and musical, it was fatiguing, noisy, grainy and bright in comparison.  The Nagaoka MP-110 is suppose to be warmer than the MP-150 and MP-200.
With that being said, i think i might go for the nagaoka, but i feel like i need to listen to more cartridges, as the only one ive ever really listened to is the pickering

EZHusky

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2019, 06:23 am »
Type
Moving Magnet
Output Voltage
4.4 mV
Freq Response
10Hz - 30kHz
Tracking Force
0.5 - 1.25 g
Mass
5.5 g
Channel Separation
35 dB
Channel Balance
Load Impedance
47k Ω
Output Impedance
D1200
Stylus Tip
0.2 x 0.7 mil Elliptical
Cantilever
Dynamic Compliance
Static Compliance
Price
$250
It says to run the cartridge at 0.5 to 1.25 grams, but it sounds really distorted on the "s" sounds, I believe that this is my alinment, but it sounds better if I set it to 2 grams, is this okay to do? I have no way to align the cartridge

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2019, 08:09 am »
It says to run the cartridge at 0.5 to 1.25 grams, but it sounds really distorted on the "s" sounds, I believe that this is my alinment, but it sounds better if I set it to 2 grams, is this okay to do? I have no way to align the cartridge

If you are having problems with s sounds, it sounds more like an SRA adjustment issue.

EZHusky

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:02 pm »
If you are having problems with s sounds, it sounds more like an SRA adjustment issue.
What is that? And how do I fix it

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:56 pm »
Get yourself an alignment protractor if you don't already have one. They are a must.   Also, a digital tracking force gauge is a good idea as well.

What Turn Table are you using? Does it have a low mass tone arm?  The Nag's are medium compliance cartridges.  The 2m Red is  high compliance

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:02 pm »
The cartridge is really old. (so the suspension may be stiffer tha normal for awhile) It sould be OK to set it to 2 grams. Plus your gizmo for setting it (if it is just the device in the turntable may be off. Also. are 'balancing' the arm to zero with the arm level? (not so good) or with the arm just almost touching the surface of a LP? (better) ((This does not matter IF you use a separate accurate gauge, but if you are using the arm's own weighting, setting zero weight on the arm of the TT, at the surface will give more accurate weight
If level, that alone may make it off (too light) a lot using the TT setting for tracking force.
So I say just go for the 2 grams.

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2019, 03:25 pm »
What is that? And how do I fix it

Sorry Stylus Rake Angle see attached image. When the record is cut, it’s cut at around 92 degrees and you need to try and make the same angle with your stylus to retrieve the data back. By raising or lowering you tone arm you can achieve it.
I suspect by you applying more weight on your stylus is lowering the SRA you have on the stylus hence it appears you need more weight to get better sound, what in fact you may be doing is flexing the cantilever down to get the correct SRA. Hope that helps.

Also this little vid may help explain better what i mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otysEyET6yE

EZHusky

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:03 pm »
Get yourself an alignment protractor if you don't already have one. They are a must.   Also, a digital tracking force gauge is a good idea as well.

What Turn Table are you using? Does it have a low mass tone arm?  The Nag's are medium compliance cartridges.  The 2m Red is  high compliance
The turntable is a pioneer pl-518, I have no idea what the tone arm is

EZHusky

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:06 pm »
The cartridge is really old. (so the suspension may be stiffer tha normal for awhile) It sould be OK to set it to 2 grams. Plus your gizmo for setting it (if it is just the device in the turntable may be off. Also. are 'balancing' the arm to zero with the arm level? (not so good) or with the arm just almost touching the surface of a LP? (better) ((This does not matter IF you use a separate accurate gauge, but if you are using the arm's own weighting, setting zero weight on the arm of the TT, at the surface will give more accurate weight
If level, that alone may make it off (too light) a lot using the TT setting for tracking force.
So I say just go for the 2 grams.
Yes the tone arm is balanced

EZHusky

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:10 pm »
Sorry Stylus Rake Angle see attached image. When the record is cut, it’s cut at around 92 degrees and you need to try and make the same angle with your stylus to retrieve the data back. By raising or lowering you tone arm you can achieve it.
I suspect by you applying more weight on your stylus is lowering the SRA you have on the stylus hence it appears you need more weight to get better sound, what in fact you may be doing is flexing the cantilever down to get the correct SRA. Hope that helps.

Also this little vid may help explain better what i mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otysEyET6yE
I will be looking at that video when I get home, I believe that the stylus I got with the cartridge is the wrong one, so it can rotate around and I have to make sure it's straight down every time I play, but with such a small needle it is impossible to get it right

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:23 pm »
EZHusky is this what you have? i don't think the stylus should rotate.

EZHusky

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:30 pm »
EZHusky is this what you have? i don't think the stylus should rotate.

Well I know it shouldn't rotate, but it's what I have, so I have to make it work, I think it's the wrong stylus so it makes sense
I'll take some pictures when I get home

toocool4

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:43 pm »
EZHusky don't make it work, if it's the wrong stylus don't use it as you may end up damaging your records. Get the correct stylus and save yourself time / money / headache

EZHusky

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:54 pm »
EZHusky don't make it work, if it's the wrong stylus don't use it as you may end up damaging your records. Get the correct stylus and save yourself time / money / headache
Well shoot, I'm gonna need to find where to get a new stylus