YES Box Set: 16 SACDs

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: YES Box Set: 16 SACDs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:41 pm »
This makes no sense.  Why would these be listed as 24/96hz remasters if they are SACDs (which is not a PCM format, it is DSD)?  These should be DVD-Audio discs...or DSD remasters.  I wonder if this is real.  I will look into it.

Edit:  And these will be transferred from PCM to DSD via Audiogate (Korg freeware!!).  What a mess.  Save your $500.  Steve Wilson is doing Close To The Edge in DSD (and 5.1 at that).  Or get the HDtracks PCMs (different remaster job but so what..at least they haven't been converted twice).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:02 pm »
Seems these new mastering was made to Dvd-audios or HDCD according this thread:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/105815//y?page=first
The post #4 inform no good news on sound quality.
Iam indiferent on this box release as the only Yes album I like is Relayer, which sound quality in the original CD is very low, looks a boombox sound.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:09 pm »
No fullrangeman, that's not what they said at all.  The remasters were done on a Pacific Microsonics DAC2 (good DAC) to 24/96, then transferred to DSD using Audiogate freeware.  And the remaster engineer has a horrible track record of compression, limtiing and poor sonics on other SHM material.  Yuck!

As I said earlier (and they concur), wait for the Steve Wilson stuff.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2013, 08:14 pm »
No fullrangeman, that's not what they said at all.  The remasters were done on a Pacific Microsonics DAC2 (good DAC) to 24/96, then transferred to DSD using Audiogate freeware.  And the remaster engineer has a horrible track record of compression, limtiing and poor sonics on other SHM material.  Yuck!

As I said earlier (and they concur), wait for the Steve Wilson stuff.
Ok, the post #4 say it indeed:
Mastered by Isao Kikuchi
The man who destroyed the Yes discography with HDCDs and SHM-CDs in the past. Hellish Compression and EQs! NO Dynamic Range. Listening fatigue and headache

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:38 pm »
FRM, it clearly says that he did that in the past.  It does NOT say that these Yes SACDs were done in HDCD.  ??

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm »
I don't know about those Sacds but I got this sacd version, although it is only 2 channel but sound really good
YesSacd

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2013, 11:44 pm »
Hey, I can transfer some of my Yes 24-96 downloads to DSD is someone wants to pay me $500 for the set.   Hahahahahahaha

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2013, 12:01 am »
I don't know about those Sacds but I got this sacd version, although it is only 2 channel but sound really good
YesSacd

That is the well known Audio Fidelity Yes CTTE (remastered by Steve Hoffman direct from analog tape), and not at all a part of this box set mess.  As I said, if these were done like Steve's, or what his partner Kevin Gray did with the Norah boxset, that would be good.  But these will be poor 24/96 corpressed PCM remasters, then transferred to DSD via Audiogate.  And then folks will buy them and play them back on cheap SACD players, the majority of which take DSD and down convert to PCM.    And someone will have the cajones to call it hirez.  :)