They have just arrived.

FireGuy

Re: HO XRS al Home.
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2018, 12:14 pm »
Very nice.  I like the monitor stand too.l

pursuitofnow

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2018, 04:15 pm »
Very nice! Are the HO's zebra wood and the single's walnut?

Jorge

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2018, 04:31 pm »
Both are zebrawood. The CAM are nearly a year old and got some sunlight, hence the different color.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2018, 02:30 am »
The zebrawood does darken quite a bit, even without direct sun.  My Super 7 XRS (long gone) I ran with the grills.  When getting ready to ship them out, I was a bit concerned when I took the grills off and saw a marked difference between the exposed and unexposed areas.  Louis was reassuring that they would even out if I left the grills off for a while and he was right.  I can't recall precisely, maybe a couple of months, and they did even out.  I guess that points to the majority of the darkening happening fairly early on. 

Not a bad thing though.  When they darken, they get richer looking.  Like there's more depth.  Would be disappointing if one bought them to match lighter furniture or other components though.  :?  Zebrawood is my favorite.  I'm upgrading to Super Alnico HO Monitors and Zebrawood they will be. 

Here's a photo of my current SAMs with darkened zebra wood:

.............Peter

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 11:23 am »
The zebrawood does darken quite a bit, even without direct sun.  My Super 7 XRS (long gone) I ran with the grills.  When getting ready to ship them out, I was a bit concerned when I took the grills off and saw a marked difference between the exposed and unexposed areas.  Louis was reassuring that they would even out if I left the grills off for a while and he was right.  I can't recall precisely, maybe a couple of months, and they did even out.  I guess that points to the majority of the darkening happening fairly early on. 

Not a bad thing though.  When they darken, they get richer looking.  Like there's more depth.  Would be disappointing if one bought them to match lighter furniture or other components though.  :?  Zebrawood is my favorite.  I'm upgrading to Super Alnico HO Monitors and Zebrawood they will be. 

Here's a photo of my current SAMs with darkened zebra wood:

.............Peter

Anyone who doesn't want the veneer to change color over time should choose EKO instead of real wood.  All wood changes color over time.  Light woods darken and dark woods tend to lighten.  Others change color completely.  I also own a pair of SAM's in zebrawood, and despite the pronounced grain, the veneer is a little uninteresting until it begins to darken and deepen in color.  Some things just get better with age (unlike my golf game or my hairline).

Jorge

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2018, 01:48 pm »
I do love the change of color, it means it is alive! More organic, i did not get a a piece of forniture  but a lovely sounding boxes.

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 11:41 am »
Hi Jorge,

Many thanks for posting pictures of your Alnico HO XRS's. They look great in your room. I also like the color change and the darkening with age. It's a very nice patina and happens all the time with natural woods. Cherry also darkens very fast.

The stands you have look very well made and I'm sure they enhance the sound of your CAM's

Hi Peter,

Thanks and I agree with Zebrawood. The wood looks richer as they age. It's one of my favorites and can't wait for you to get your HO's.

Hi roscoe65,

Thanks and very true. Some darken more than others. I prefer the aging myself. EKO's and the tweeds won't.

I've been working on some new very natural finishes and I will be posting pictures next week.

Thanks,
Louis
« Last Edit: 13 May 2018, 01:04 pm by Louis O »