VMPS LA Lovefest 2005

John Casler

VMPS LA Lovefest 2005
« on: 6 Feb 2005, 04:31 pm »
Yesterday we had a small LA session for VMPS owners.

By virtue of the size of my listening area it was limited to Ranjit, his son, Shaukat, and myself all VMPS owners.

I got a chance to share a few tweaks and reference cuts with "the guys".

We listend to:

Hugh Masekela's Stimela (Coal Train) which is just awsome

Revenge of the Pink Panther (talk about ability to "resolve detail" and recreating the soundstage)

REM - Losing my Religion - Great cut, and we did an A/B on the Bedini Clairifier, with most agreeing that it clairified and made bass tighter.

The Sheffield Drum Track (Jim Keltner I beleive) which has such quick leading edge drum head impact and shiny metallic realism in the cymbals

also some of the "Standards"

Dire Straits - Private Investigations
Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tin Pan Alley

All in all, we had a great listening and "talking" time.

shauk786

VMPS LA Lovefest 2005
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2005, 08:07 pm »
John, thank you for inviting us over. We had a great time listening to some great music.

What can I say!!! Dr Tweak  :mrgreen: outdid himself again. Clarity, rock solid imaging and bass impact were outstanding and blew me completely out. I had the opportunity to listen to John's system a few months back with same equipments without the tweaks and the additional subs. John's current system is outstanding however modest by all standards: 626Rs for main, 4 largers, cinenova powering the subs in push-pull and son of ampzilla powering the 626Rs. CDP used were a chinese brand which I do not recall the name and the minimax. The preamp was minimax.

To my ears, the clarity using the minimax cdp was a touch better than the other chinese brand while the bass impact from the latter was slightly more but not by much for either cdps.

thanks for a great afternoon, John.

John Casler

VMPS LA Lovefest 2005
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:18 am »
Hi Shaukat,

And as you know it is always a pleasure to have you guys over, especially budding audiophiles like Ranjit's son.

Man if I only had access to equipment like that when I was a teenager :o

Strangely enough, I have already made a small change to the system/room set up.

I have moved the listening chair about two feet further back, hung a sound absorbing blanket to hang right behind the chair, and the soundstage is now "HUGE" and the bass is even better!!

Only thing is, if it gets cold tonight, the blanket will have to do "double duty" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

rlcordeiro

VMPS LA Lovefest 2005
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:57 am »
John,
Your "modest" system is superb. I cannot imagine that it is possible that it sounds better. The realism that it brings to music is indescribable. I could not believe that 6" woofers could produce that midbass. VMPS rules!!!
My son now wants to quit school so I can afford to buy a new player and subs. I will not allow him that luxury but I will start scrimping and saving to upgrade my system.

John Casler

VMPS LA Lovefest 2005
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:59 pm »
Quote from: rlcordeiro
John,
Your "modest" system is superb. I cannot imagine that it is possible that it sounds better. The realism that it brings to music is indescribable. I could not believe that 6" woofers could produce that midbass. VMPS rules!!!
My son now wants to quit school so I can afford to buy a new player and subs. I will not allow him that luxury but I will start scrimping and saving to upgrade my system.

I thought you were going to "auction" your son on e-bay to raise some more cash!!!!

:roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :o  :lol:

The upper/midbass is from the new mega-woofer (I think I got the first pair of them)

Also some of the impression of upper and mid is caused by the blending with the 4 LARGERS.

I think you probably noticed that the Subs "blended" pretty well with the 626Rs.