Resident Evil Outbreak

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:56 am »
This one sorta flew in under my radar;  I was aware a new game was coming but I thought it was months away.  Imagine my surprise to see it at BB today! :o   Is this a totally new game (well, new in the sense of not being a port/update of a specific older game.  RE never gets to 'new' really...)?

Has anyone played it yet?  I'm not at all sure how long it's been out.  The fact that I just saw it doesn't mean much as I almost never walk thru the PS2 aisle any more.  

At $50 a pop I'm not much for taking risks on new games nowadays.  I'd never really been too disappointed with an RE game til the 'Cube one came out, though I didn't have the nerve to try the shooter.

Whaddaya say, guys?  Is this one worth buying?

bubba966

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:19 am »
Isn't that the online shooter? I think (if it is the online shooter) that it's not an entirely new game as something was from another game. But I'm too tired right now to remember if it was the gameplay, or the game engine that was taken from something else.

bubba966

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:19 am »
Oh, and if it's for LameStation 2 that's probably another reason why I don't really know what it is.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:31 am »
No, not a shooter but it is online.  I found some pro reviews online:  While they were mostly upbeat, I'm pretty certain it's not something I'd dig. :cry:

Worse yet, the new RE4 will be a "Suck Cube" exclusive! :x   Man, exclusives suck! :evil:

Oh well.  I just got Legacy of Kain:  Defiance.  That oughta keep me busy for awhile.

bubba966

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:41 am »
What we need to do is get you a standard 'box controller. Gut it out. Then insert "Lame Cube" controller guts into it. That way you wouldn't hate the 'cube controller anymore... :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:56 am »
In reality, the 'box crushes the Lame Station 2 & the Shite Cube.  I just can't tolerate gaming on either one of 'em. :cry:   Damn, I hate to admit that- my brother & I used to argue about this, and I'd always try to make a case for the P2 as being still pretty decent! :oops:   Not any more...

bubba966

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2004, 05:39 am »
I had a Lame Station 2 once. For about 5 hours the day after it was released. It sucked, so I sold it (for $800! :mrgreen: ) Haven't regreted it yet...

The 'cube kicks ass, you just hate the controller. I'm telling you, we stick 'cube controller guts into an original 'box controller and it'd be all good for you then...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2004, 05:50 am »
:roll: The 'cube is utterly creamed from a graphics & sound standpoint by the Mighty 'Box!  The 'cube is a mere toy! :P   That's not really a major knock on it- it's more geared for the younger set and it's cheaper than the 'box (or at least it was- the new Xbox price is only $150.  Still more than you pay for a cube, but then you end up with....an Xbox! :P ).

I'm stoked for the next salvo in The Console Wars.  I predict Sony storming back in a big way with a very powerful Playstation 3.  Maybe they can steal back the thunder from MS.  Although sales-wise, both MS and Nintendo are looking up at Sony from the bottom of a well.  Run lassie, get help!  :lol:

mcrespo71

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2004, 11:12 am »
The 'cube is utterly creamed from a graphics & sound standpoint by the Mighty 'Box! The 'cube is a mere toy!  That's not really a major knock on it- it's more geared for the younger set and it's cheaper than the 'box (or at least it was- the new Xbox price is only $150. Still more than you pay for a cube, but then you end up with....an Xbox!  ).

This quote is so untrue I just can't believe it!!! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

If you had bothered to keep your GCN for more than a month and try some more games out for it, you would not be saying this.  As I've said time and time again, Metroid Prime is better than Halo from a graphics and art direction standpoint.  

BTW, RE outbreak is not worth $50 unless you play it online.  It adds nothing to the RE story- it's just an online RE.  Sorry, but us Cube owners will be getting RE4 and it looks sweet.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2004, 06:28 pm »
You're off base with one thing; I've tried many many games on the 'Cube, including Metroid Prime (there's no law that says you can't ever touch a console again after selling yours- there's millions of those cubes out there! :lol:   It's not hard to find someone with one.).

This thread isn't meant to be about the merits of each console- but I simply hate exclusives.  I can see why, for instance, a Nintendo game developed in-house would only be for the Cube...but it's absurd in the case of 3rd party games.

I still have to shake in my in astonishment, though, that anyone who's genuinely played a 'box even a couple times could even make an argument that it doens't cream the Cube...  :shake:  I guess that's why they say YMMV.

Hope you enjoy RE4- in glorious stereo from the analog outputs! :P   Who likes discrete MC sound in a horror survival game anyway! :lol:

mcrespo71

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2004, 07:24 pm »
I still have to shake in my in astonishment, though, that anyone who's genuinely played a 'box even a couple times could even make an argument that it doens't cream the Cube...  I guess that's why they say YMMV.

No one who isn't a blatant fanboy would make such a ludicrous statement.   I own an Xbox with about 20 games, so I know of what I speak.  It does not cream the Cube.  Is it better from a graphical standpoint?  Yeah, I'd say that it has more games that people would consider better graphcially, but it still varies from game to game.  For example, 2 games from Ubisoft, that are both great BTW, differ graphically on the consoles- the Xbox Beyond Good and Evil is better than the Cube and the Cube Prince of Persia is better graphically than the Xbox version.  I'll say it again- it's the developers who utilize the system that makes great graphics.  All the systems have their graphical dogs- Ghost Recon on all systems looks like crap.  

RE4 will be in Dolby Pro Logic II, so I'll be just fine with my multichannel playing thank you very much.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:11 pm »
Yes!  I've been promoted to FANBOY status! :P  :lol:   Just calling 'em as I see em thru my fanboy eyes. :wink:   Don't get your panties in a bunch, mcrespo71- I'm not suggesting you ditch your Pokemon lunchbox or anything.  Have fun with your game in Stunning Pro Logic II.

The 'box puts me in a tough spot- I've spent all my post-Genisis years being a Sony whore for PSX, so it's tough to admit that MS has em licked.  And having owned most of Nintendo's consoles over the years (and being the last guy in America to buy the Cube before they dropped the price.  :x ) I wanted to like it.  But I can' deny reality as easily as you can, mcrespo71.  The 'box just crushes the competition this go around, at least IMOHO.  I've long been an MS basher, so admitting that is extra difficult- it's like really wanting to bang a chick you just can't stand.

BTW, extra points for being the only person over the age of 15 to use the putdown "fanboy" on any internet site. :roll:   Assuming of course that you are over 15...

rosconey

Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:14 pm »
kool a nerd fight :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:15 pm »
Yeah, next we're gonna pull each others hair and til we can settle it:  Britney or Christina! :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Resident Evil Outbreak
« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:22 pm »
Funnily enough, now that they're getting really cheap I'd actually considered getting a Cube again; I was telling Bubba a few months ago that the Rouge Squadron game looked pretty interesting and it's a 'cube exclusive as far as I know.

Probably I won't bother since in all honest I don't really spend all that much time playing games.  I probably spend more time here talking about them then I do actually playing! :lol: