SS 9.5's in Carpathian Elm Burl with "fireburst" finish

harley52

Re: SS 9.5's in Carpathian Elm Burl with "fireburst" finish
« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2019, 03:28 am »
I spotted an alien on the side. Does that count?:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #41 on: 23 Feb 2019, 03:09 pm »
These are probably the coolest looking Salk speakers I’ve seen and it’s always been hard to pick a favorite. Love the chamfered edges.

Jim, are you guys going to be showing these at Axpona this year? Or maybe another show?

Looking at the side view reminds me of some Aztec art.

jsalk

« Reply #42 on: 23 Feb 2019, 03:38 pm »
These are probably the coolest looking Salk speakers I’ve seen and it’s always been hard to pick a favorite. Love the chamfered edges.

Jim, are you guys going to be showing these at Axpona this year? Or maybe another show?

Yes, these will be shown at AXPONA with McGary Audio's new tube amp.  Should be a great combination.

- Jim

redskinsfan

« Reply #43 on: 23 Feb 2019, 07:59 pm »
Jim, we are eagerly awaiting pics of the soon-to-be-announced SS9.5C Be center channel--Satori Be tweeter, Audio Tech mid, flanked by Satori 9.5 woofers and 12'' passive radiators. A center with heft, style, and attitude to spare.  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

rlee8394

« Reply #44 on: 23 Feb 2019, 07:59 pm »
Jim,

I see that they are priced at $0 per pair on your website. I’ll take a pair! You have my address. :lol:

-Ron

jsalk

« Reply #45 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:56 pm »
Jim, we are eagerly awaiting pics of the soon-to-be-announced SS9.5C Be center channel--Satori Be tweeter, Audio Tech mid, flanked by Satori 9.5 woofers and 12'' passive radiators. A center with heft, style, and attitude to spare.  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

You would end up with a center channel that was a large as one of those tiny houses.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #46 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:58 pm »
Jim,

I see that they are priced at $0 per pair on your website. I’ll take a pair! You have my address. :lol:

-Ron

Boy, you are fast!  I was working on that page just today and haven't set the price or placed it on the product menu yet. The way I built the web pages, they default to $0 if there is no price set.

- Jim

redskinsfan

« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2019, 12:03 am »
''You would end up with a center channel that was a large as one of those tiny houses.

- Jim''

Perhaps, yet Legacy Audio's Marquis center has dual 12'' woofers, 4'' ribbon tweeter, and 8'' midwoofer, coming in at 14''x38''x13'' (HxWxD) and 85 lbs., though it lacks the passive radiators. ''One man's castle is another man's shack,'' as someone somewhere may have said sometime or other.     :wink:

mritschdorff

« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2019, 02:37 pm »
I visited Jim’s shop yesterday and listened to the SS 9.5's and was mightly impressed. I own a pair of SS 12’s and have always felt they would be the last speaker I would ever own. As I listened to the 9.5’s my “last speaker” declaration started coming under fire.

I was immediately struck by the sense of being immersed into the music unlike I have ever experienced. The speakers had a surround like soundstaging quality to them, with pinpoint imaging. The height and width of the soundstage was larger than that of the SS 12’s. There was also a feeling of warmth to the bass and mid range without loss of definition.

Jim and I talked for a while and I asked him about the SS 9.5 and why I thought they sounded better than my SS 12’s. He told me the 9.5's were more musical than the SS12's. I asked him what he meant by that. Jim said he wanted to design a speaker that produced the soul of music, essentially providing a you are there experience.

Jim also disclosed that ever since he built the first pair of Salk Speakers that his overarching goal was to design speakers that produced the minutest of musical detail. He went on to say that a couple of critics told him that his speakers sounded clinical and didn't reveal the soul of music.

He designed the SS 9.5's and the Song 3 series to incorporate the best of both worlds, musicality and detail. I would encourage anyone intending to purchase speakers to give Jim a call or give them a listen to at the AXPONA Show, April 12- 14TH.

birbygdad

« Reply #49 on: 24 Feb 2019, 09:03 pm »
Musicality is a tricky thing to define. It may be something that is recognized by ear. I’ve had my Song 3 speakers for a while now and I think “musical” does define them. As far as I am concerned they are superb. And for the money they might be untouchable. My younger son used to compete when he studied guitar. Whether he won or not the judges said he played the music, not just the notes. Of course I liked that. I like my speakers too. There is every reason to believe that the 9.5 set will play music magnificently.

maplemusic

« Reply #50 on: 27 Feb 2019, 02:14 am »
Jim

Is it possible to order the song3 BeATs with an open mid range just like these SS9.5s?

jsalk

« Reply #51 on: 27 Feb 2019, 04:39 pm »
Jim

Is it possible to order the song3 BeATs with an open mid range just like these SS9.5s?

It would be possible although there would be upgrade charges involved.

- Jim

DEP14

« Reply #52 on: 12 Mar 2019, 04:47 pm »
Anyone else find themselves coming back just to look at the pictures from time to time of these?

Jim, thoughts on a center (that isn't as big as a small house?)

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:12 pm »
Anyone else find themselves coming back just to look at the pictures from time to time of these?

All the time.  Finish work on Jim's speakers (let alone the sound) is impeccable.

jsalk

« Reply #54 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:16 pm »

Jim, thoughts on a center (that isn't as big as a small house?)

We have had a few requests for a center channel using the BE tweeter, the AT mid and a pair of woofers.  This would be a rather large center channel like the SS 7C center.  As for a smaller center, right now I would use the Supercharged SongCenter or the Veracity HT2C center channel.  We'll have to see if a smaller 2-way center channel using the BE tweeter and a pair of Satori 6" woofers might be worth the effort.  In the meantime, we are working on a monitor speaker using the BE tweeter and a single Satori 6" woofer.  When we finish that up, it will tell us a lot about the feasibility of a smaller version of the center channel.

- Jim

DEP14

« Reply #55 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:21 pm »
We have had a few requests for a center channel using the BE tweeter, the AT mid and a pair of woofers.  This would be a rather large center channel like the SS 7C center.  As for a smaller center, right now I would use the Supercharged SongCenter or the Veracity HT2C center channel.  We'll have to see if a smaller 2-way center channel using the BE tweeter and a pair of Satori 6" woofers might be worth the effort.  In the meantime, we are working on a monitor speaker using the BE tweeter and a single Satori 6" woofer.  When we finish that up, it will tell us a lot about the feasibility of a smaller version of the center channel.

- Jim

Thanks Jim, that makes sense.  So with something like the 5 inch satori's on each side?

jsalk

« Reply #56 on: 12 Mar 2019, 06:28 pm »
Thanks Jim, that makes sense.  So with something like the 5 inch satori's on each side?

Probably the 6".

- Jim

jackmonster

« Reply #57 on: 13 Mar 2019, 04:54 am »
Any chance these will make it to AXPONA?

jackmonster

« Reply #58 on: 13 Mar 2019, 04:55 am »
Never mind. Just read they will be at AXPONA. Great!

maplemusic

« Reply #59 on: 13 Mar 2019, 03:42 pm »
Wondering why the CC be so big closer to SS line. I was thinking it would be smaller than SS line.

Why cannot this CC be closer to song 3 CC with 5 inch woofers and Be AT combination?

Never designed a speaker, so please realize my arm chair speaker design "ideas" :lol: