Why was the idac2 discontinued?

Alphecca

Why was the idac2 discontinued?
« on: 4 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm »
Happy owner of this unit for some time... just wondering if someone could comment about why it was discontinued.  I always felt there was less coverage of this model than others, like the iDSD BL, despite ifi stating it was sonically superior.  (I do appreciate that the iDAC2 is strictly for desktop/tabletop use.)

What would ifi consider an incremental upgrade for desktop use?  IDSD BL Signature?  And, how will THAT unit compare to the NEO iDSD, sonically?

Thanks!

iFi David

• iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
Re: Why was the idac2 discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2020, 10:52 pm »
Happy owner of this unit for some time... just wondering if someone could comment about why it was discontinued.

Each product has a life cycle, so eventually has to be discontinued to make room for new projects. That's what happened to iDAC2 a while ago and micro iDSD BL just recently. It's just the natural order of things really :)

What would ifi consider an incremental upgrade for desktop use?

Most likely our ZEN DAC Signature sold from time to time via DROP, but I'm not in 100% sure. iDAC2 was for years second only to Pro iDSD after all and it's a great product even today :) 

IDSD BL Signature? 

No such product. micro iDSD Signature replaced micro iDSD BL and both these products are based on the same internal platform. micro iDSD Signature is a bit better, but its biggest changes versus the BL include functional reworks; a separate charging port and 4.4mm headphone out.

And, how will THAT unit compare to the NEO iDSD, sonically?
[/quote]

That's up to folks who will compare them :)

Alphecca

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2020, 11:57 pm »
Thanx for the reply!  My iDAC2 still sounds plenty good... just thinking ahead...

Looking forward to any new products from ifi!

iFi David

• iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2020, 08:42 pm »
Thanx for the reply!  My iDAC2 still sounds plenty good... just thinking ahead...

Looking forward to any new products from ifi!

Sure, thanks! Our NEO iDSD just launched!