Your daily driver :)

JohnR

Your daily driver :)
« on: 2 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm »
Here's mine:

Mini Cooper Diesel. Was the most fuel-efficient car you could buy in Australia - yes, more efficient than the Prius at time of purchase and still better on the highway. Not sure if it's available in the US yet due to high output of something else... nitrogen oxide? Well you can't win 'em all.

Handles nicely, certainly well enough for me :)

TomS

Re: Your daily driver :)
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm »
Diesels rock! Mine is a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi. Really liking it so far. I got a smidge over 50mpg on a couple of 250 mile runs back and forth to the Indy airport last week  :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:22 pm »
I'm thinking about buying my wife the new Mini Cooper. :)

Not sure if it's available in diesel here, got to do some research.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:31 pm »
Stock e46 M3 ('06). Can't wait to take the snows off.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:41 pm »
Those Diesels are a blast.

A buddy of mine is heavily involved in racing with Diesel engines and has been in everything from dragsters, drag trucks, and even a VW Beetle. If you Facebook then look up Greg Hogue to see some of the projects.

Another good friend of mine owns Nitrous Express. He has done a few Diesel racing projects that you guys will really like too. See them here: http://www.nitrousexpress.com/projects1.php

I wish those new Diesels would have been available back in my street racing days. And I have more than once considered putting a twin turbo Diesel in my Vette. Maybe one of these days.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:07 am »
Those Diesels are a blast.

A buddy of mine is heavily involved in racing with Diesel engines and has been in everything from dragsters, drag trucks, and even a VW Beetle. If you Facebook then look up Greg Hogue to see some of the projects.

Another good friend of mine owns Nitrous Express. He has done a few Diesel racing projects that you guys will really like too. See them here: http://www.nitrousexpress.com/projects1.php

I wish those new Diesels would have been available back in my street racing days. And I have more than once considered putting a twin turbo Diesel in my Vette. Maybe one of these days.
My understanding is that my little 140hp torque monster can be ECU re-tuned to euro trim (with dpf removal) and suddenly find about 80 or 90 hp for free. But, that would void the warranty of course, along with a few other violations  :green:

AUDFILE74

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:17 am »

my 07 cobalt coupe. been weighing out adding a simple stereo upgrade to her. time will tell

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:22 am »
Here's mine:

Mini Cooper Diesel. Was the most fuel-efficient car you could buy in Australia - yes, more efficient than the Prius at time of purchase and still better on the highway. Not sure if it's available in the US yet due to high output of something else... nitrogen oxide? Well you can't win 'em all.

Handles nicely, certainly well enough for me :)

Nice John.   :thumb:

We don't have the diesel option here in the States.

A Mini Cooper S is a possible next car for me.  But so is a BMW 1 series or an older 3 or 5 series, or maybe a little GTI...

Until the time comes when I am ready to pony up the cash, my everyday driver will remain a very unspectacular, but very reliable 1999 Toyota Camry.

George

bunnyma357

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2011, 03:51 am »
Usually drive the 2006 MX-5 Miata, best car I've ever owned. Love it.

Sometimes ride the Bridgestone fixie, or the Rivendell Atlantis.

Jim C

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:34 am »

I don't have a daily driver since I don't drive every day, but when I do drive it's in a 1987 BMW 325.  Photo was taken a couple of weeks ago, and that was after I shoveled for half an hour.   :duh: :lol:

enjoythemusic

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2011, 07:12 am »
My 4WD daily driver sun, rain, ice, snow... Very reliable and amazing in deep snow and ice with the Blizzak LM60 tires.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:25 pm »
My version of "green" is keeping my 1997 Accord running.  Low mileage, but getting on in years.  Just over 110K miles now.  This was a pic from the summer.  Previous owner (friend's mom) kept it well, and I have treated nicely since I took it on 4 years ago.

Here she is with her snowshoes on!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:56 pm »
I do about 40k miles per year on a 2009 Toyota Corolla (my 4th Toyota).  Pleasant enough, averages 36 mpg, very cheap to maintain, and handles well in the snow and ice.

Wifey does about 30k miles per year with a 2009 Subaru Outback (my first Sube).  Better built, averages 27 mpg, and of course is great in snow and ice.

I like trying different cars/brands.  Over the years I've owned VW, Saab, Honda (2), Datsun/Nissan (during their transition), Chevy (crap from the mid 80s), Ford (crap from 1990), and Mazda.  Up here in the great white north I have no interest in convertibles or even moonroofs.  Had a pickup and a minivan, but has kids move out and daily mileage has gone up, we've shifted to having two cars.

At current prices, the above numbers say we spend roughly $650/month on gas.   :duh:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:57 pm »
My 4WD daily driver sun, rain, ice, snow... Very reliable and amazing in deep snow and ice with the Blizzak LM60 tires.

Two thumbs up Steve.  :thumb: :thumb:

And is that your house in the background with the Colonial front? I love the 4 column Colonial look. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:33 pm »
i have several daily drivers.  the scion gets about half the mileage, the others get the other half...

(this one is now red; when it was black, it got 200k in 10 years):

(this one now has inwerted front forks and a few other goodies):

(this one hasn't been on the road in two years, i hope to rectify that this year):

doug s.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2011, 08:52 pm »
Doug

I have a thing for the Pantera's...

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2011, 08:54 pm »
Doug

I have a thing for the Pantera's...

Yeah, me too.

sts9fan

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:02 pm »
I don't have a picture.  I am not much of a car guy.  To me its a tool and fancy ain't my style.  I drive a 2003 Golf IV TDI chipped by RocketChip (35hp gain for ~$250).  She has 225 lb\ft and gets 50mpg on summer fuel.  In the winter we lose ~10%.  I also run mixes of biodiesel from B100 down the line.  The increased lubricity makes her run smooth.

skunark

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2011, 09:24 pm »

Nice!  And props for having the bawls to drive it in bad weather.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:45 am »
Yeah, me too.

Well if Doug wants out of his I get first dibs.   :lol: