How much will OC705 compress?

AB

How much will OC705 compress?
« on: 25 Sep 2008, 02:56 pm »
I am experimenting with decoupling my speakers from the suspended floor in my listening room.

705 has been suggested as a platform material but I have never used any of the OC stuff before so I don't know how resilient 705 is when loaded.

The speakers weigh about 220# a piece. Their bases are 16x15 inches or 240 square inches so the platform will be loaded at a little more than 1 pound per square inch.

Does anyone know the compression stats for 705?

Right now I am trying some Ethafoam packaging foam that works pretty well at decoupling but will compress over 24 hours. The compression in it will set at around 25%. Denser foam will compress less and set at approx 10% but finding the denser Ethafoam is a pain.

The OC rigid panels are not available in my local building supply stores so or I would have tried it already. They only sell the blue foam board. I don't think that would work at all.

Thanks

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: How much will OC705 compress?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:00 pm »
705 won't compress a lot.  If it were me, I'd use 2-3 layers of it with something like plywood or MDF in between the layers.

Bryan

AB

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply Bryan.

I need to keep the speakers as close to their normal height as possible - raising them up just puts them out of their best position for listening on the tweeter axis. I think adding the plywood or MDF between would add too much height.

The foam is dead easy to work with. It cuts with a sharp knife, it's slippery, and there is no need to cover it up other than aesthetics. I would think the 705 would be a bit more messy to deal with. But I am willing to try it.

Does anyone know of a source for Ethafoam 600 or 900?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:21 pm »
Understood on the height.  The plywood doesn't need to be very thick.  Even 1/4" or potentially less would work fine.  Maybe 1/8" Lexan.  Just trying to make sure the load is spread evenly to minimize compression.

Bryan

AB

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:30 pm »
Understood. The bases of the speakers are flat and provide a solid platform. They do have these rather robust threaded spike inserts that extend about 1". I would just remove some material from those areas of the foam or 705 so the inserts would be out of the way. If more area is needed to support the speakers I guess a platform that extended out from the speakers base would be necessary. I was hoping to avoid that but I may not be able to.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:49 pm »
Try 4 (per speaker) door stops used on the walls behind the doorknob contact space to prevent the knob from damaging the wall.  They're about $3.50 each at HD or Lowe's and have a metal base with a rubber cone.  You could spray paint them as well.  Not an engineered vibration isolator, but it might work on the cheap. :wink:

TomW16

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2008, 06:00 pm »
I used those wall mounted door stops under a subwoofer I built for my brother.  It worked well.   :thumb:

Try 4 (per speaker) door stops used on the walls behind the doorknob contact space to prevent the knob from damaging the wall.  They're about $3.50 each at HD or Lowe's and have a metal base with a rubber cone.  You could spray paint them as well.  Not an engineered vibration isolator, but it might work on the cheap. :wink:

AB

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2008, 08:23 pm »

I'll look for them this weekend.
I am open to most anything - especially at $3.50 per.

Edit: Wow. Who would have thunk...

http://www.doorknobdiscountcenter.com/?gclid=CJLWmLnl95UCFQv7agodKSNN4Q