Speaker Resale

NoDisco

Speaker Resale
« on: 12 Jun 2020, 04:03 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been a longtime audiophile for more than a decade now, having owned gear from a number of manufacturers that have circles here. I am getting ready to potentially buy another pair of speakers, which would be a considerable investment to me in the next few years.

Here's my dilemma, I have a good idea of what I'm looking for in terms of performance, but I'm still kind of considering other options. I border on the less analytical side, but do enjoy a bit of "sparkle". My current favorite setup are Omega SAMs with Townshend Supertweeters. With that being said, and all these other things being pretty much equal (system synergy, etc.), does anyone ever consider resale value when making a speaker purchase? It, to me, seems like high-end speakers hit diminishing returns over time faster than amps or other types of gear.

mick wolfe

Re: Speaker Resale
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2020, 04:31 pm »
As I look back, I don't think I've ever been concerned with resale value. When I buy a component, I'm usually naive enough to think I might keep it forever.....which of course rarely happens. Audio is not the ideal hobby if resale value is always lurking in the back of your mind. Relax and let your ear be the judge, not resale value.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:06 pm »
I am not one either to think much about resale value.  Of course I am crazy and have multiple systems and tend to rotate pieces when I upgrade something and if something gets displaced that isn't worth a decent amount, I tend to give it to someone (have an old Oppo BDP-93 waiting to give it to a friend - the network card doesn't work but the wifi dongle does).  I have a couple of things I could sell now but unless it's something worth a decent amount, I'll just wait.  I also tend to buy some things used more vs. new so that's another reason I don't think about resale value.  Most of the exceptions to that are things like a new UHD TV and Panasonic UP9000 I just got for a HT set-up.  I rotated the old UHD TV and Oppo 203 to my upstairs bonus room (basically a guest bedroom) and gave away to someone I know an old Vizio 55 inch back lit LED that was probably around 11 years old.  I used it in my master bedroom in my old house for around 4 years (didn't see tons of use) and sitting in the bonus room it sees use a couple of times/year so they were happy.

shakey

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2020, 02:38 am »
If you thinking about any speaker and are concerned about resale you should keep looking. I was demoing different speakers over the past few years. I wanted an alternative to my Quad ESLs. After listening to various Harbeths, Triangle, Spendor, and some others I ended up with a pair of Bache Audio Tribeca’s. For me these speakers are simply more musical. Not a listening session goes by with me “wanting” something else. I can’t say that about another pair I have, Audio Physic Tempo Plus.

My Tribeca’s are slightly less than my Tempos, but their performance is leagues above them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2020, 11:42 am »
Agree with Mick.  My reselling philosophy is to try to put a dollar amount on how much enjoyment has been derived from the piece and discount from the buying price accordingly.  Then I price to sell.

Speakers in general suffer due to the fact that they are such an individual decision.  Big speakers suffer in resale largely due to shipping related concerns.  If you read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction," the consummate audiophile primer for learning how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room you'll learn that large/full range speakers are dinosaurs - a much better solution is monitors with multiple subwoofers. 

A good source for speakers is Duke LeJeune at AudioKinesis.com.  He's very knowledge.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2020, 11:54 am »
If you buy new, most resale prices will be 50% of retail. Some brands can get 75%. But if can get a discount up front, then the 50% isn't so bad off retail list. Age and condition come into play as well and if you don't keep the boxes and packing materials then you hurt your resale opportunities once more.

Get what you want, but remember the hobby is not for profit! ha

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2020, 01:04 pm »
The simple answer to resale value on nearly anything is to buy used.  Speakers especially because there's so little wear from use.  Other than obviously damaged cabinets or drivers there's nothing to go wrong.  Let the seller absorb the depreciation, which is very steep the day you take delivery on new speakers. 

On the other hand if you simply must have the latest and greatest, which is perfectly fine, you have to discount resale value as a consideration.  And that being said, when purchasing new, well known and well respected major brands will have the least depreciation, but you're always going to take a big hit on resale.  The other strategy is to keep new items for a long period of time, which decreases the importance of resale value.  The best advice I can give to folks buying a new car is to keep it for 10 or 12 years.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2020, 01:32 pm »
If you buy new, most resale prices will be 50% of retail. Some brands can get 75%. But if can get a discount up front, then the 50% isn't so bad off retail list. Age and condition come into play as well and if you don't keep the boxes and packing materials then you hurt your resale opportunities once more.

Get what you want, but remember the hobby is not for profit! ha

So true!  :rules: :notworthy:

Best,
Anand.

rmlowz

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2020, 10:29 pm »
I also have to think of it as a hobby. I have never come out even on my purchases that I resell
rmlowz

skite30

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2020, 03:04 pm »
I buy most things used and consider it an extended audition.  If u dont like the piece u wont get hurt too bad if u decide to sell it.  Of course I am a bit lazy about reselling so have Decided any room without a stereo in it is a wasted room....

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2020, 06:16 pm »
I also have to think of it as a hobby. I have never come out even on my purchases that I resell
rmlowz

And if I came out even on the sale of a component, it's so rare that it would never make up for the stuff I took a bath on. :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2020, 07:42 pm »
Narrow your list to three models you'd be happy with, then wait to see which comes up used at a price you can live with.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2020, 04:02 pm »
Narrow your list to three models you'd be happy with, then wait to see which comes up used at a price you can live with.

I agree, buy used. It can take some patience, but as long as you're not looking for something sure rare, you should be able to find what you're looking for within in a few months. Hifishark is your friend, as are your local audiophile groups (especially if you're lucky to live somewhere with a high population density like Southern California or the northern half of the East Coast). If you're able to narrow it down to 1 pair of speakers, post some Want ads here, on USAM, Audiogon, etc.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2020, 07:56 pm »
I always look at value and price and try to buy things that I can resell without losing an arm and a leg.  But that never works out and I lose a fortune on everything I touch.