Venison Recipes?

Christof

Venison Recipes?
« on: 7 Dec 2009, 11:31 pm »
I have quite a haul of venison in my freezer and I'm not really sure what to do with it.  Aside from stew meat I have many loin roasts and tenderloin (backstrap).  I'm familiar with cooking backstrap but what do I do with 3-4lb loin roasts? 

Both deer were young doe that grew up around a local apple orchard...if that makes any bit of difference.  :guns:

Thanks

PeteG

Re: Venison Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:00 am »
I love good venison jerky.

Venison Jerky

StereoNut

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:57 pm »
FWIW

The roasts are usually good, done up with a pot roast recipe.  This method tenderizes the meat and doesn't dry it out, especially since venison can sometimes be too dry.  (That's why when people make venison sausage, they mix in some ground pork to introduce some fat into it.)

If you're willing to cut up a piece of what you have into "cutlets", a veal marsala recipe works real well.  Matter of fact (if you like spicy food) try adding some red hot pepper flakes into that marsala recipe.  It really adds another dimension to it.

Enjoy!

SN

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:11 pm »
Personally i like thyme and rosemary on mine cooked like this just sub the roast for the turkey  :drool:
garbage can turkey

if i use the oven 160 on the thermometer

spudco

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:22 pm »
We use quite a bit of venison here at the habitat.  My hunting friends are very generous with the harvest...

We always brine ours before cooking.  It improves the flavor and texture of the meat.  Basic brine of 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt and water.  The venison is left in the brine for at least 30 minutes - longer for roasts or hams.  Be sure to rinse well after brining. 

We love to cook medallions of tenderloin to rare/medium rare.  We also like to do the pot roast thing.  Occasionally we smoke a ham. 

turkey

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:01 pm »
I can also vouch for such things as pot roast, stew or soup, jerky or smokies.

Meatloaf works well too, but I find you have to mix in some hamburger or ground pork or it's too dry.

How about Chili-Mac with ground venison? I like that.

I've also cut venison into strips, put them into a baking dish, and covered with BBQ sauce. Then you just cover it with aluminum foil and bake the whole thing. (I don't remember exactly how long. It's been a long while since I made this.) It was really excellent.

Christof

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:36 pm »
Thanks guys...I've tried a couple of your suggestions. Venison seems much healthier than grocery store beef...I think we could could switch over with no trouble. The key seems to be finding ways to deal with it being so lean.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:45 pm »
If it's lean, brining should help.  I brine pretty much all pork and chicken these days.

As for deer meat being "healthier" than store-bought meat, I'm currently reading a book called "Fat and Cholesterol are GOOD for you", and am of the opinion that the saturated fat/lipid hypotheses are scientifically unsound. 

decal

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2009, 07:48 pm »
Two words....crock pot