Anyone out there using an induction cooktop?

Captain Humble

Anyone out there using an induction cooktop?
« on: 27 May 2008, 12:09 pm »
I'm about to pull the trigger on an induction cooktop.
If any of y'all have experience with induction cooktops I'd appreciate the "good, the bad and the ugly."
If you have a brand name preference please share that as well.

If you're not familiar with them, this link provides a great overview.
http://gei.portals.streamos.com/cc/channel.php?emcid=994&empid=4691&packageid=0000

Thanks.
Jeff
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 01:59 pm by Captain Humble »

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: Anyone out there using an induction cooktop?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2008, 06:54 pm »
My bro has a ASKO induction/pyro package, I've used it often enough to form an impression of this type of stove/top.
The thing to remember is that you NEED to use induction compliant pots and pans. Nothing else will work!

It heats up like lightning, only the pot, not itself! if you remove the pot you can put your hand directly on the surface
and it is cold! heated only by the pot itself... of course.

You can change temperature VERY quickly, so it requires a bit more presence at the stove you might say...
If you plan on heating milk... don't move away! Bad idea!!!!  :lol:

Get a good quality one. Clean it after use and it is a joy I tell ya!!!!

:thumb:

ASKO, Miele, Siemens and Electrolux are the brands that are popular where I live.

Because the cooksurface, that is the induction top itself never is the source of the heat, if
you spill, it wont burn... cleaning is made easy you might say...the pans also wont get charred oil on the outside of them and so on...
You can lift the pot or pan, wipe the spill away (the top itself is relatively cool actually, place the pan  or pot right back, and the
pot or pan just keeps on going! Neat indeed!

So, spilling won't burn, it heats like a rocket, you must use induction cookware only and it is quick...

It's quick, the downside? The price... and if you drop a pan, it might crack the glass... that would be ... bad...

Here is the ASKO induction stove that I have been using, this is my brothers kitchen.

The combo seen here is the second best that ASKO makes I believe...
You don't need that really, my brother is a looney - he just had to have this one (several grand... ouch!!!  :o)
You just have to make sure that the surface of the glass is of good quality and that it isn't the cheapest one on
the market, it should be able to handle normal abuse... and not crack easily...
You might need a really large circuit breaker value, as these types of tops can use like 12000w if all cooking zones
are active at the same time. Usually they use only like 5-6000w if all are active at once, but still.

You get the pan hot really quick, so the total consumed kwh is less than with just about any other type of top/stove.
It is cheaper in use, but costs more to buy, and induction cookware is abit more pricey usually as well.
Also, since the top itself is not hot, the pans and pots cool down quickly as well, that can be handy, also, the top itself
can function as a heatsink, just say pull the pot onto another part of the cook top, and heatsink away!

Well that's all I can think of right now.  :D

Imperial
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 07:45 pm by Imperial »

Andrikos

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2008, 11:09 pm »
If you like cooking, there's nothing that will touch gas.
For looks I'm sure induction is great.

geezer

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2008, 01:45 am »
The thing to remember is that you NEED to use induction compliant pots and pans. Nothing else will work!

Imperial:

Is this really true? Suppose I put a flat, iron griddle on the induction cooktop. Since it's magnetic, won't it get hot? If you then put an ordinary aluminum pot (of water, say) on the hot griddle, wouldn't the water boil?

If that won't work, can you say why?

Geez

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2008, 03:30 am »
I like gas....but thats not the question... :lol:

I did find a good info site....... :thumb:

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2008, 10:12 am »

Imperial:

Is this really true? Suppose I put a flat, iron griddle on the induction cooktop. Since it's magnetic, won't it get hot? If you then put an ordinary aluminum pot (of water, say) on the hot griddle, wouldn't the water boil?

If that won't work, can you say why?

Geez

Yes, induction compliant basically means that the bottom of the pot or pan is magnetically fertile...  :wink:

Imperial

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2008, 10:25 am »
No personal experience, but a friend of mine installed induction in his new kitchen, and yes, ended up buying all new cookware as well.

I would love to have gas *and* induction (like say, just one or two extra hobs). Trouble I find with gas is it's hard to get a really low heat. Mmmmm anyone smell that melting chocolate? ;)

WerTicus

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2008, 10:27 am »
I love my cooking, and having rented for a few years i've tried all types and nothing is better than gas.

to get low heat on gas you can use a diffusor 

Captain Humble

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2008, 11:09 am »
Imperial,
Thanks for the detailed explanation and sharing your first hand experience.
Based on your experience, it appears that the claims I've read by the manufactures are accurate.

I hadn't considered the possibility of breaking the cooking surface.  Hopefully, they've taken heavy pots into account in the design phase and it will stand the test of someone that spends a bit of time in a commercial kitchen.  We aren't known for being gentle with equipment in the restaurant.  :lol:

Geez,
Take a minute to watch the video associated with this link for a very good explanation of how induction works.

http://gei.portals.streamos.com/cc/channel.php?emcid=994&empid=4691&packageid=0000

In theory induction appears to have gas, which has always been my preference, beat in every category.
Temperature control, response time, efficiency, recovery time and saftey.  Another intriguing fact is that the bottom of the pot heats uniformly so there aren't hot spots.

JohnR,
Electrolux offers a hybrid unit that has 2 induction and 3 electric elements.

http://www.electroluxappliances.com/node30.aspx?categoryid=1186

I haven't seen a gas / induction combo offered by anyone.
This seems odd because in IMHumbleO, gas is far superior to electric elements.
Electric burners simply aren't responsive.

WerTicus,
No diffuser requied with induction.  Here's a very short video on low level cooking - melting chocolate:

http://gei.portals.streamos.com/cc/channel.php?emcid=1382&empid=4349&packageid=0000

More videos here:
http://www.geappliances.com/products/introductions/induction_cooktops/how.htm

LoneWolf,
Thanks for the great link which includes pros and cons.

Thanks to all that responded.
It may take longer than I thought to pull the trigger on this thing.
Michelle is now considering changing out the kitchen countertops at the same time.
I wonder how long it will take her to pick out the granite.  :scratch:
Jeff

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2008, 11:31 am »

There are some vendors who offer induction tops with one or two elements. I meant having that in addition to a gas top.

Captain Humble

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2008, 11:50 am »

There are some vendors who offer induction tops with one or two elements. I meant having that in addition to a gas top.
Sorry, I misunderstood. :duh:
Jeff

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2008, 11:57 am »
No worries - we can dream can't we... ;) actually my latest super duper kitchen remodel plan doesn't have room for the second half-plate anyway :duh:

Captain Humble

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2008, 12:18 pm »
No worries - we can dream can't we... ;) actually my latest super duper kitchen remodel plan doesn't have room for the second half-plate anyway :duh:

Similar problem here.  We had gas in New Orleans but we have an electric cooktop in this house.  Electric cooktops are tough to use once you're used to gas.  Getting gas to our kitchen would be a major production, so induction looks like a most viable option.  Perhaps even better.

It looks like you're considering a Culinary Circle.
If so, I would be honored should you decide to move this thread to that circle when, or if it becomes available. :wink:

Jeff

aerius

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2008, 02:20 pm »
I hadn't considered the possibility of breaking the cooking surface.  Hopefully, they've taken heavy pots into account in the design phase and it will stand the test of someone that spends a bit of time in a commercial kitchen.  We aren't known for being gentle with equipment in the restaurant.  :lol:

They've been using induction cookstoves at the CN Tower restaurant in Toronto for many years now, probably from when the restaurant first opened.  As far as I know they don't have any breakage problems so you should be fine unless you're sledgehammering the stovetop with a big iron pot.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2008, 03:28 pm »
That's why I don't have induction......I love my cast iron too much.  :cry:

Bob

edmiston

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2008, 06:00 pm »
Hi,

I've used an induction cooktop for three years.  Prior to this, I used gas, most recently a six burner Viking Pro style unit.  I would never go back to gas.  Induction is faster.  It is more adjustable.  It changes temp more quickly (you know those heavy cast iron grates on a pro gas cooktop hold lots of heat  - slow to heat up and slow to cool).  I bought no new pots.  I already used LeCrueset and other ferrous pots (forget the brand).  I use my cast iron frying pan and griddle regularly.

A cinch to clean and no hydrocarbons into your interior air.  I do ALL the cooking in the family, and honestly cannot understand the hang up about gas.  Give me induction any day.  Hope this helps.

Mark

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2008, 07:23 pm »
I thought cast iron was a BIG no-no on induction cooktops.  :scratch:

Bob

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2008, 08:32 pm »
I thought cast iron was a BIG no-no on induction cooktops.  :scratch:

Bob

I believe it's copper that doesn't work.  I've only begun to look into it, but I believe the only real requirement is the cookware be magnetically excitable.

edmiston:
My wife and I are in the process of researching the current options, everything from brands (Diva, Viking, Wolf, etc.) to cookware options (the aforementioned brands plus Demeyere, The Culinary Institute of America, All-Clad and a host of others).  Reading about it all is great, but there is no substitute for having been there, done that.  In support of my attempt to put experience ahead of marketing hype and hyperbole, might you have any advice, preferences and/or lessons learned you'd care to share? 

Whether it goes in our current abode or the place we're very close to buying, a kitchen renovation is in the works.  Any and all assistance you can lend would be very much appreciated.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2008, 09:26 pm »
Jim, I thought it had something to do with the extreme weight and the lack of a smooth bottom thereby scratching the daylights out of the glass.
Not sure though. I'm actually talking out of my butt. I've not done any serious research, this is just something I've heard about induction (glass top) and cast iron not playing well together.
So take it with a grain of salt.

Bob

edmiston

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2008, 10:09 pm »
Once again, cast iron is fine on induction cooktops.  Sure, if you really worked at it, you might be able to scratch the glass, but I am not exactly a careful cook (the careless gourmet was my moniker) and I have had no problems.  There are many sorts of ferrous pans, including  Chantel, some All Clad lines, LeCrueset, and good old Lodge cast iron.  I like a well made pan but I think all this designer cookware business is nonsense.

Am I anti gas?  No, I just tend to resist dogma, and I think gas has this cachet that if restaurants or chef so and so insist on it, it must be superior.  It reminds me of many building contractors.  They learn one way to do something and then spend the rest of their lives doing it in that way, never asking if there may be a better way.  Now I know that every kitchen design magazine features mammoth "pro" style stoves with acres of stainless steel, but does that make you a better cook?  Much of kitchen design is about style and fashion, but there has never been any evidence that a $3000 designer oven roasts your chicken any better than a $400 Kenmore.

What I didn't like about the Viking was that to boil a large pot of water for pasta was a long term project (granted, we are at altitude, but still...), it was crap at simmering, a pain in the ass to clean, and common to all gas cooktops, it pollutes your indoor air, or if the windows are open or the ceiling fan on, the flame blows all over the place.  I just think induction works better, is cleaner and more energy efficient, and a breeze to clean up.  So I am a heretic - I also left SubZeros and never looked back.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mark