Bodum Santos

bummrush

Bodum Santos
« on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:15 am »
 Still a bit shocked.  Just received  a Bodum Santos in the mail yesterday.  I had one well probably 4 years ago give or take.And like the elusive audio equipment we just cant find and might have sold, saying regretably why the heck did i sell that,say like we could find 5,6,7,10,even 20 years ago.I found another one on Ebay.Now the lady said it still brewed and works,her complaint was that it took to long to brew as far as she was concerned. .She sold it for parts or repair. After i talked to her just really wanted to confirm it brewed.Anyway she I'll put a buy it now price on it. So i look at revised listing,and she has a b i n on it of $25.00 I damn near flipped. I couldn't hit the button fast enough. The coffee pot ,as usual for me i was slightly skeptical.  Turns out it works perfectly, and i wasnt about to tell her that theres a simple workaround for shaving some time off brewing cycle anyway,call me bad but i wasnt going to tell her that.Made my day,and pretty dang pleased to have one again.
On the side a huge hobby is home cofffee roasting. Ive done it for 20 years.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Bodum Santos
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:23 am »
Interesting system, seems a bit fragile in all glass also.
I use this:

bummrush

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:52 am »
Are you referring to your coffee pot or mine. Because mine is all plastic, not those other glass bulb type which are everywhere. The one i have is a blue green  one,the plastic ones are clear,orange,blue green,and maybe other colors.  The going rate for the plastic type usually go for say, $125 to even 3 bills.
Starbucks made a version also it was called the barista, equally hard to find.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:40 pm »
Mine is inox. I thought the Santos were glass.
I do not use hot liquids in plastics containers because plastic releases carcinogenic residues of bisphenol tipe A when heated (BPA).
But even so Santos is a interesting system.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2016, 01:32 pm »
The original Bodum Santos is glass and is still available, but is now called the Pebo. The electric model, called the eSantos, was introduced around 2001 and was discontinued around 2008. It came in 2 sizes, a 12 cup and a 5 cup. My brother bought the re-branded model from Starbucks called the Barista. I bought the 5 cup model. I ended up destroying mine by being too aggressive when cleaning it. I ended up finding a used 5 cup in 2009. Be very careful when cleaning the inside. The plastic can fracture and leak. They both make excellent coffee, but I rarely use them as now I have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar for my coffee habit.