Questions about Manic Moose 2.36

Calypte

Questions about Manic Moose 2.36
« on: 3 Jun 2018, 01:26 am »
I listen mainly to classical music.  I've "ripped" thousands of items to hard disc.  From the beginning I accepted that the Manic Moose software was not intended to handle classical music, but I've been able to get Manic Moose to behave in a generally useful manner for my needs.  However, my wife is a big fan of The Doors and Jim Morrison.  So I decided to "rip" her collection of The Doors and Jim Morrison CDs into the collection.  There are seventeen The Doors albums and six Jim Morrison albums.  This includes all of the commercial releases that she knew about when she collected them, and also some odd bootlegged items.  There may be some legitimate but non-U.S. releases in the mix.

What I've learned is that the "song view" just flat out doesn't work.  It lists nothing, not a single The Doors song, not a single Jim Morrison song, not a single Chris Botti song (that's mine), not a single Frank Sinatra song.  The "artist view" is only marginally better.  Out of those seventeen The Doors albums, Manic Moose lists three.  None of the Jim Morrison albums are listed in "artist view."

When can we expect a fully functional version?  Oh, and by the way, why does the Windows version work so much better than the Android version?
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2018, 03:31 am by Calypte »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Questions about Manic Moose 2.36
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:14 pm »
Hi,

If you place the BDP into service mode we can take a look at why certain albums aren't appearing in the artist view and see about correcting it.  The song view simply shows what in the play queue, but uses the the entire width of the available screen real estate.  As for the performance difference, there are a number of reasons, but the most likely of which is the android device either isn't as fast or otherwise is restricted.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Calypte

Re: Questions about Manic Moose 2.36
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2018, 05:27 pm »
Thank you for your response.

An additional issue with Manic Moose is that sometimes it creates one or more partial duplicate lists.  If I use the drop-down arrow to display the alphabetic first letters of the entries, the list goes from A to Z followed by duplicate listings of some of the letters.  It's totally unpredictable.  I've tried rerunning the "Update" function, and usually it yields the same result.  Often it works perfectly.  Often not.  This function works the same on Windows PC and Android cell phone.

On the Android cell phone, the "Back" button does nothing useful.  On a Windows PC, the "Back" button allows me to back up to a previous view of the list.   On the Android cell phone, if I (for example) accidentally poke the wrong entry so that it goes into the list to be played, or my finger accidentally hits an entry twice, then the "Clear" button usually doesn't work.  "Back" doesn't work.  I have to go all the way back to the Dashboard and re-enter the Media Player.  I've learned that just about any user error on the Android cell phone requires going back to Dashboard and re-entering Media Player.

As for "Song View" -- I confess that I didn't understand its purpose.  When I tried "Song View," I was trying to answer the question, "How many duplicate tracks of 'Riders on the Storm' does this collection contain?"  MM can't tell me that.