My Octopus Teacher

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
My Octopus Teacher
« on: 8 Jul 2022, 05:43 am »
Wow!  I was not prepared for the impact of this film!  It's a documentary filmed by a man trying to find meaning in his world that forges a deep connection to nature through studying the daily  trials and tribulations of a small octopus.  Truly remarkable!  I've always been afraid of the sea but the beauty of it is amazing.  On Netflix now and maybe on Youtube as well.  Highly recommended! :thumb:

LadyDog

Re: My Octopus Teacher
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:17 am »
Agree worth the watch. Pretty amazing creatures.

deadhead

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:49 am »
Agreed.  The film was very well done.  Can't seem to order octopus anymore after having seen this.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2022, 11:20 am »
I just finished reading this one, they're interesting animals.
Yeah, I'll stick to ordering squid.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2022, 02:43 pm »
I watched it last year.  It is fabulous and it did impact me and my family emotionally.

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2022, 02:55 pm »
Excellent footage set to an emotional narrative crated by the filmmaker.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2022, 03:25 pm »
Nice recommendation.  I saw this some time ago and really enjoyed it. 😀

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2022, 04:53 pm »
I enjoyed it quite a bit, but was sort of disappointed when I realized that it probably wasn’t really the story that was portrayed to be.  I guess that’s true with most “nature” films.  They stitch random shots together with a narrative to create a fictional story.

sounddog

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2022, 06:32 pm »
One of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen - perhaps The Best.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2022, 03:16 am »
I enjoyed it quite a bit, but was sort of disappointed when I realized that it probably wasn’t really the story that was portrayed to be.  I guess that’s true with most “nature” films.  They stitch random shots together with a narrative to create a fictional story.

What proof do you have that it was not a real story?  Just curious, not trying to start a fight.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2022, 10:49 am »
A wonderful documentary effort that actually is about Craig forming a deeper relationship with his son Tom.

seikosha

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2022, 11:45 am »
What proof do you have that it was not a real story?  Just curious, not trying to start a fight.

Spoiler Alert below….

I don’t have proof, just suspicions.  The film had a crew, he was not the only person doing the filming, there were writers.  To me, that suggests that there was more to this story than a man making solo dives and happening to establish this incredible relationship.

Any diver will tell you that an octopus is very curious and it’s quite common for them to come to you inspect you etc., yet in the film, to me he seemed to portray what is common octopus behavior was actually some sort of fantastical personal relationship.

So we are lead to believe that they have this wonderful relationship and just like that he does nothing to protect his teacher when it’s violently killed and eaten.  No pet owner in the world would do that, and then to take the stand that he wanted to let nature run its course is a weak excuse when he been establishing this intense relationship over the past year, when really, the line between letting nature go about undisturbed had been broken long before.

And then to think of the chances of actually being there at the end when they Octopus died.  The odds are pretty low when you think about it.  I always think…when something is too good to be true….it probably isn’t.

That said, the cinematography is stunning, the story is wonderful and I did enjoy the footage but, I just suspect that there was a little more artistic license added than we are led to believe.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2022, 03:23 pm »
I guess I am not as skeptical as you.  The whole world does not know about octopus behavior.  He clearly gained its trust which takes time.  At the end when it was being eaten, it was dying as they do after a little over 1 year.  There was nothing to save.  And of course, there are going to be writers.  He was a wildlife photographer not a writer.  It was basically a documentary about his relationship with this animal and how it is not that different than us and how the relationship impacted his life for the better.

artur9

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2022, 03:18 am »
Fantastic documentary about a person's relationship with a fantastic creature.

One of the things that feed into my fascination with octopi.  Since they are such masters of camouflage I've taken to saying I'm always surrounded by them, I just can't see them.

There's another documentary on Netflix about how octopi can predict volcanic eruptions near some Greek island.  Less intensely personal but also interesting.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2022, 03:03 pm »
I just finished reading this one, they're interesting animals.
Yeah, I'll stick to ordering squid.

Thanks for the tip on the book.  I bought it for my Kindle and it is very good reading and puts some perspective on the show.

These are not autonomous animals that would have a relationship with just anyone.

geowak

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2022, 05:57 pm »
That movie was very good.... eye opening. But I will add this, if you are not an open minded person you may not get the bigger messages. And there are bigger messages, much bigger.