Is anyone using extreme flea power?

ohenry

Re: Is anyone using extreme flea power?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jul 2017, 02:54 am »

...Has anyone had experience with the Betsy baffle speakers?  I've thought about trying a pair for some time but haven't been able to find out the impedance curve for the driver.  If anyone has this info I will be grateful if you post it...

Have you tried contacting Wild Burro?  http://www.wildburroaudio.com/contact.php

Iv'e heard them at a friend's house several times and have been impressed what a $110/pair driver can do on a small baffle.  Good stuff.   8)

belle harbor

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2017, 11:50 am »
Yes, I tried contacting Wild Burro a couple of times but didn't receive a reply.  I also asked Randall at Caintuck Audio if he had the info, but he didn't.  I can't imagine that it's proprietary, but one never knows.

Lefatshe

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2017, 02:31 am »
I'm surprised about the suggested reply to my question about very efficient speakers that might work with my 1.5 watt amp in my 11 x 11 room.  I'm surprised the suggestion was for Klipsch La Scalas, Cornwalls, and older Reference Series speakers. I would love too.  But they (1) won't fit in a room so small without taking up lots of real estate, (2) not sure they would integrate well with the near-field listening, and (3) I suspect they will have too much bass for my square wooden box-of-a-room.  I know JLM has used (or is using) Duke's Audiokinesis speakers, and I had a pair of Duke's Rhythm Prisms in the 11 x 11 room and I couldn't tame the bass. Those speakers moved to the basement where they (and I) live very happily, and yes, I added the extra tweeter behind to make them approximate Duke's Prisma speaker.   

Poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:50 am »
My Fostex Frugal Horns sound really nice with a 2 watt SE amp. They are fairly small and don't take up too much space.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2017, 11:04 am »
These days I can't get enough of the big Zenith 49CZ802 alnico wide band drivers I use in open baffles. They only need a couple of SET watts in this bi-amped system.

belle harbor

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:24 pm »
I'm surprised about the suggested reply to my question about very efficient speakers that might work with my 1.5 watt amp in my 11 x 11 room.  I'm surprised the suggestion was for Klipsch La Scalas, Cornwalls, and older Reference Series speakers. I would love too.  But they (1) won't fit in a room so small without taking up lots of real estate, (2) not sure they would integrate well with the near-field listening, and (3) I suspect they will have too much bass for my square wooden box-of-a-room.  I know JLM has used (or is using) Duke's Audiokinesis speakers, and I had a pair of Duke's Rhythm Prisms in the 11 x 11 room and I couldn't tame the bass. Those speakers moved to the basement where they (and I) live very happily, and yes, I added the extra tweeter behind to make them approximate Duke's Prisma speaker.

There's no question that La Scalas and Cornwalls take up a great deal of space.  However, since they can be placed against a wall the problem is mitigated to some degree.  That said, both work extremely well in small room, near-field, arrangements.  Even when set up in a 6 foot equilateral triangle with the listening position I've found the driver integration to be excellent in spite of the large cabinets.  As to the Reference Series speakers, obviously the lower end models are much smaller.  The only issue is that the rear-ported models must be pulled into the room to get them to image properly.  If that is accomplished, the imaging and sound stage size is beyond amazing.  I've attached a picture of my 12 X 11 room.  It's hard to appreciate the near-field perspective, but you can get the idea.  Currently, I'm using a pair of old RF-15s which are pulled about 30" away from the rear wall.  As to overpowering bass, I have not encountered that as long as one doesn't listen at the wall opposite the speakers.  Certainly one needs to have an understanding other half to be able to place a listening chair approximately in the middle of the room.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2017, 02:00 pm »
I would suggest the Omegas that Steve Deckart  recommends. He says these compares to his Acoustats with servo amps. My audio buddy Rex has the monitor version and says these are the best that he has ever owned, and Rex has owned almost everything.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/Omega1.html

roscoe65

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2017, 03:45 pm »
I would suggest the Omegas that Steve Deckart  recommends. He says these compares to his Acoustats with servo amps. My audio buddy Rex has the monitor version and says these are the best that he has ever owned, and Rex has owned almost everything.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/Omega1.html

I have a pair of Louis' 1.5 HO monitors (https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers/products/super-3-high-output-monitor?variant=34755858700).  They are everything the Super 3 is with better midbass (by far) and better sensitivity (97.5 at about 6 ohms).  I can drive them with a 4wpc 421A amp. 

The monitors are easy to move around and I don't think you give up much bass over the towers.  If you add in the price of a pair of Skylan stands (if you don't have 24" stands already) you're looking at about a $700 less expensive option.  In an 11' x 11' room (one of my spaces is almost identical) it is very easy to overload the bass as you have found.  In this case, I would see how a high-sensitivity monitor with decent bass would work and if necessary use one or more subwoofers (i.e., "The Swarm") to tune the bass to the room.

Lefatshe

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2017, 07:32 pm »
Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations for speakers. In my earlier post I noted that I use the 1.5 watt proto-type from David Berning with a set of 6UL8 tubes during the summer. During the winter, I allow myself the heat from Audio Mirror 20s with 6AS7s from Vlad's very creative hands.  Those are the WLM Divas and the listening chair on the diagonal in the 11 x 11 room with my desk next to the rack.