Older digital receivers - which one?

mcgsxr

Older digital receivers - which one?
« on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm »
I am playing around with my open baffle system in the basement, and am considering picking up a used, older digital receiver.  My 3wpc el84 will get a rest, not looking to part with it just yet.

Locally, there are a couple of these older items around, and I am wondering which one folks think would do it best?

Panny SA-XR50 for $80.
JVC RX-D412 for $100 - it has the hybrid digital amps ala F10 or ES-1 that folks loved years ago.
JVC F10 - I see a few aged ads here on AC, I could pursue one of these, but they appear to be a little more expensive that my local options.

Anyone ever heard the JVC RX-D412?

I will be continuing to use my Bolder SB3 as the source, just looking for a built in Xover for my subs, and for a little more ooomph than the old tube amp gives.

For an experiment, not looking to spend much...

cujobob

Re: Older digital receivers - which one?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2010, 02:31 pm »
The XR-55 and 57 I've used had a nice sound for cheap...I really like the chipamp receivers (Pioneer 919 is what I use)...a little more expensive, but all the new formats, HDMI, and still rather inexpensive.  If that's too much, the Panny should do a great job.  Or DIY a Class D audio amp (or pick one up used)

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:05 pm »
I am kind of returning to some experimentation I did years ago, I have owned quite a few of these digital amps over the years:

Teac 3 channel stock and modded
Panny receivers - XR15, XR57
JVC receivers - ES1 (now at my buddy's place, still running after 6 years)
JVC amp -  EX-A1 - little hybrid digital receiver with built in dvd player - this sits in my living room

So, I have played around with many types of them, and honestly I find them all pretty good - ultimately the tube amp was better, but it requires a different compromise that I currently want to experiment around.

So, I know the Panny 50 is good - but my Panny 15 died earlier this year, after 8 years or so, and I think the 50 is already 5-6 years old, so I am worried about longevity.

So too the F10 available here on AC - and once you bounce it around in the mail from the US to me in Canada, I might be concerned about longevity on that one too.

Has anyone heard the RX-412 JVC?  I see it has the simply niceties like copper screws (as with my EX-A1, it shows unusual attention to detail for a mass market piece), and I think it might be a good option.  It also has a USB input, so for future use, I could run a PC right to it.

I have considered building up one of the digital amps folks are happy with currently, in some long threads around here, but the total looks to exceed my budget... and it would require the continued use of an external Xover - any of these receivers already have that capability built in.

Decisions decisions!

jn316

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2010, 06:30 pm »
The XR-55 and 57 I've used had a nice sound for cheap...I really like the chipamp receivers (Pioneer 919 is what I use)...a little more expensive, but all the new formats, HDMI, and still rather inexpensive.  If that's too much, the Panny should do a great job.  Or DIY a Class D audio amp (or pick one up used)

Dave,

PM's sent

Gary

soundbitten1

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm »
How about the Sharp SD-EX111? It's a nice sounding unit with a remote control and a built-in cd player.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:28 pm »
I suppose I would consider one of the Sharp units, but I don't ever see them for sale anymore - and I think they were only 20wpc or so?  I am looking for around 100wpc, in case I need to add passive components to the circuit in my OB speakers.  I don't need a cd as a source, I will use my Bolder SB3 as the source for sure.

The Panny SAXR-50 sold, but the JVC is still around.  I found another SAXR-50 about 1 hour from me too.