Do Wi-Fi Networks Degrade System Sound Quality???

nature boy

« on: 16 Oct 2005, 04:54 pm »
Absolutely. I have a wireless router in the same room as my system (the signal from the router can be picked up by my laptop throughout my home so I don't think there would be any gain from siting it elsewhere even if this were feasible for me). My system can in no sense be regarded as poorly designed and is also powered via 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits so we are likely talking RF interference.

The degradation caused is clear but will not IMO impair casual listening. It is worse for LP listening (wide bandwidth, low voltages, so perhaps no mystery here). However for serious digital as well as all LP listening I switch the router off.

I would also mention that the difference between the router on and off has been perceieved by all of my guests that I have demonstrated it to. Golden ears need not apply.

I just notice this thread over at Audio (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/404468.html).  I don't have a Wi-Fi set up at home, but I am considering purchasing of a wireless Squeezebox 2.  

Any problems with sound quality interference anyone is noticing with their Wi-FI set ups and wireless Squeezebox 2, when used in a high end system??

Regards,

NB

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Do Wi-Fi Networks Degrade System Sound Quality???
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2005, 05:08 pm »
Quote from: nature boy
I just notice this thread over at Audio (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/404468.html).  I don't have a Wi-Fi set up at home, but I am considering purchasing of a wireless Squeezebox 2.  

Any problems with sound quality interference anyone is noticing with their Wi-FI set ups and wireless Squeezebox 2, when used in a high end system??

Regards,

NB

None here, but my computer and wi-fi router are two floors away from my system.

I would imagine most people going with the wireless SB2 route will not have their computer and/or wi-fi router in the same room as their system.

George

SWG255

Component selection might help
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2005, 05:30 pm »
As often happens when a new technology comes along, a new variable is introduced into the mix of obtaining best system performance. It is certainly true that locating the transmitter farther from the audio system will reduce the the RFI generated to levels which are not audible. Choossing different cables and equipment will also help here, but that isn't so easy after one has already purchased a system that provides satisfying results. I believe I have an RFI problem in my system because I have a cable carrying video information running for about three feet along side my speaker cables. i cannot easily change this and keep the wife happy. I don't know how audible this is, but I always seem to have a very low volume buzz through my system. it isn't audible unless i put my ear right up against the speaker grille cloth, but the fact I can hear it at all suggests it will obscure low-level detail in audio playback.

I know that Charles hansen's Ayre gear is designed to reject as much RFI as possible and a friend's Ayre system is DEAD QUIET.  There are certainly other manufacturers whose gear does the same.

So, just one more variable to consider when designing or tuning one's system.

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2005, 07:51 pm »
Thanks for the information and feedback!

NB