Villanova vs. North Carolina

TheChairGuy

Villanova vs. North Carolina
« on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:36 pm »
Truly, it was a game of boys vs. men :bawl:

Or, Luke Sywalker shooting at the DeathStar (as my buddy told me the other day)...Luke would only win in the movies and with the 'Force' clearly with him :o

I totally love how my 'Cats stayed aggressive all game right to the end (that Coach Wright trusted them to keep hammering no matter the ugly shots), but Carolina was there for the spanking at each aberrant outburst from the kids :icon_lol:

Michigan State....I don't know how the heck you're gonna' overcome them....I hope home field advantage is worth 10 points to you 'cause you'll need it :|

John

carusoracer

Re: Villanova vs. North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:47 pm »
I was at both games and it was a shame that Villanova did not hit more shots. With that said I'm a huge Carolina fan so it didn't bother me too much :wink:

Very classy effort among the team and the there fans.

We will see how MSU will fare against the Tar Heels. I have watched them play some very ugly games and suffered some bad losses even as close as 3 weeks ago. They are hot and the crowd will be my guess 50000 for MSU. It was THE biggest fan count Basketball game I have been to.

Let's Go Tar Heels!!!

lumendog

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2009, 10:10 pm »
UNC has great fundamentals, ball movement, etc.
It is difficult to beat a team that shoots as well as they do. :drool:

Other teams just don't perform against North Carolina. They always seem to have an off night shooting (my Sooners, Villanova, etc)
I still think that they are very beatable.

However, UNC just refuses to have an off night, and this is what sets a truly great basketball team apart from other
gifted teams. I played ball until my freshman year in college. I found out that a good high school player is just a normal college player.
I am reminded of this as I watch UNC play.

I would love to see the Spartans pull this one out :green:

flintstone

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:52 pm »
Well. the Spartans surprised UConn, by out running them, and then wearing them down a little by playing a lot of players. This won't work with NC at all!.....the last thing they want to do, is get in to a running game with NC  :nono:

Like coach Izzo said: "If they play good, and we play good....they win"

Dave

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:13 am »
4 years ago there was a disputed walk call on Allan Ray by the Tar Heels....and 'Nova lost by a point.

Coach Wright put it succinctly....that his team shouldn't have been in the position of losing the game only because of a disputed walk call.

So, if you're a better team...you gotta' knock off the Tar Heels, damn the excuses 8)

Good luck to all - and to all a good game :thumb:

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:43 pm »
Wow, was that ever a pasting :|

Congrats to the Tar Heels - that was quite a tournament for them :thumb:

That Freshman Ed Davis is a superstar in the making....and Tyler Hansborough (if he stays healthy) will have a long and successful pro career I think.  He's as good as his numbers the past 4 years suggest.

Really, an impressive run.

So now, for 5 of the last 6 years the national champion has run thru my Villanova Wildcats....that's gotta' be some sort of record for bad scheduling :icon_lol:

John

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:54 pm »
Michigan State won the second half.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:15 pm »
The proverbial 'winning the battle, but losing the war' seems appropo here, macrojack  :lol:

I thought Villanova played better than North Carolina for nearly the whole game (and beat 'em in rebounds, offensive and defensive), but they still lost the game by 14.  If only their many shots fell thru they would have won...but, they didn't and that separates the very good teams from the great :cry:

John

flintstone

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:14 pm »
The MSU players did exactly what the should not have done...try to run with NC (turn over, after turn over resulted). NC looked like a pro team in the first half, man can they shoot!.....  A very deserved win on their part.....congrats to NC.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2009, 08:03 pm »
I did not watch the whole game, by the time I came online it was already 40-20 or so.

I was amazed at the 3 point shooting on the part of the whole UNC horde, they appeared very comfortable with longer shots.

I cycled in and out of the balance of the game, but it looked sewn up by halftime to me.