NX-Treme Build

mikela8

NX-Treme Build
« on: 17 Nov 2023, 06:24 am »
Hi Folks,

Decided to up my 2 channel game and build a set of NX-Tremes.

Mike

mikela8

Re: NX-Treme Build
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2023, 04:03 pm »
One of the biggest challenges I see ahead is choosing a finish for these monsters.

Any suggestions?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2023, 05:49 pm »
For HT I recommend black because it minimizes reflection of light.  For a regular living room or audio room, I like white and then making the grill covers a color that matches the rest of the room.  That way, if you ever change rooms or change up your decor, it's easy to just change the grill cloth to something that matches. 

mikela8

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2023, 03:38 am »

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2023, 12:23 pm »
Hey Mike,
That sounds like a hell of a fun project. Have you decided if you're going to take on the painting yourself or outsourcing to a professional? If you choose to take on the task yourself, hit me up and I'll walk you through the process. My day gig is selling automotive paint so I'd be happy to help steer you in the right direction.

This was my speaker build thread. Page 2 and 3 get to the fun paint part. Just let us all know where we can help and keep everyone posted with your progress!

-Lloyd

mikela8

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2023, 07:12 pm »
If you choose to take on the task yourself, hit me up and I'll walk you through the process. My day gig is selling automotive paint so I'd be happy to help steer you in the right direction.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the offer!  I do have a small 135psi Porter Cable pancake compressor and a H878W/HVLP WB spray gun that's never been used. 

So I think I at least need to give it a try to see if it will work for me.  When I get to that point, I will reach out to you if you don't mind.  BTW your NX-Studios with stenciling look phenomenal!

Best,

Mike

nlitworld

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2023, 10:39 am »
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the offer!  I do have a small 135psi Porter Cable pancake compressor and a H878W/HVLP WB spray gun that's never been used. 

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the kind words. That project was a lot of fun with some serious learning curve for a bit of it. For your project the gun will be fine enough for the most part, but the compressor will need an upgrade for sure. Nothing too crazy is necessary but something you'll need to plan for as PSI doesn't matter one bit, it's all about the volume of air (cfm) that makes the difference. You know the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" which really holds true here. I'll message you later today for some of the basics you'll be in for and some good workarounds.  :thumb:

mikela8

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2023, 04:20 am »
WARNING!

I decided to complement the NX-Tremes with the Triple Threat OB subs.  I reviewed numerous build threads on these subs and was impressed by what I saw.  It was apparent that Jay (Captainhemo) was providing the flatpacks in the threads that I had reviewed. Additionally he was providing the flatpacks for my NX-Tremes.  So naturally, I assumed that when I ordered the Triple Threats off of GR's website that I would be getting Jay's flatpack.  Unfortunately, it turns out that this is not the case.  I found this out when I started asking about modifications through email immediately after ordering.  I wanted the top to be flush to the cabinet.  However, my email went unanswered and I ended up calling a couple of days later. It was then I found out it was a different provider.  Turns out the wood had already been cut so it seems that I am out of luck and they are now on the verge of being shipped.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I really feel that the website could and should have been more clear on this.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2023, 06:10 am by mikela8 »

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2023, 03:58 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, but there's a big picture of what that package is.  This seems like an easy fix with a router bit to route the top / sides / front / back flush to that center section.

mikela8

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2023, 05:01 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, but there's a big picture of what that package is.  This seems like an easy fix with a router bit to route the top / sides / front / back flush to that center section.

I agree that the top is an easy fix and that's not the point.  It's easy, after reading thread after thread on H-frames of which almost all are using Jay's flat pack (I could only find one thread with the other flat pack) to miss the fact that the picture on the website is not the same.  I did not study the website picture in detail.  Apparently there are a number of other folks who have made the same mistake.  So I am not a one-off.  I only mention this so that others get what they actually want.  I really don't consider it to be that big a deal assuming there is no performance difference in the cabinets but it has tainted my experience.

mikela8

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2023, 04:17 am »
Danny and I had a good conversation today and he agreed to cancel the cabinet portion of my order.  I'll open a separate build thread for the subs.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2023, 05:57 am »
Danny and I had a good conversation today...

I'm not surprised it worked out fine. :thumb:

mikela8

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2023, 12:10 am »
These arrived right before a major downpour at least for LA.

These were packed extremely well...pun intended.  No damage.

mikela8

« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2023, 03:34 am »
Dry run

mikela8

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2023, 03:22 am »
First one glued up using Titebond Extend.  My son stopped by to help me out.  Glad I didn't try to do it by myself.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2023, 03:47 am »
That's a really big speaker!

mikela8

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2023, 06:13 am »
That's a really big speaker!

Humongous!  They make my Statements look like bookshelf speakers.  Glad I have a tall ceiling.

mikela8

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2023, 07:34 pm »
Maybe book shelf speakers was a bit of an exaggeration but still...

I am pretty much leaning toward having these painted by a professional rather than attempting it myself.  The only exception might be the interior which I envision as a matte black of some sort.  Anyone have a suggestion for painting in the Southern California area?  Also wondering if I could save some money by doing the surface prep myself.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a sanding sealer if I plan on an automotive finish?  This House of Kolor paint has piqued my interest https://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/detail/index.html?id=S2-FBC03&ref=kolors

Mike

nlitworld

« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2023, 06:45 am »
Mike those things are looking good! You'll likely need a scissor lift to install the top woofers. :lol:. I did make a few calls to some of our stores around the LA area and the customers weren't able to commit to squeeze a speaker job that size in over their existing workload at the moment. I'm sure there are shops looking for work enough to do it, but it'll take some phone calls or knocking on doors. Plus our store closest to you is City Of Industry so there's likely some closer shops to your side of town.

As for the color, I still totally approve of that gunmetal gray metallic look. It's popular because it always looks good against the shiny black drivers and copper phase plugs. These things are going to be awesome when they're all finished up.

Also when you find a shop to do the work, definitely discuss with them whether applying a sealer before sending it off is a good idea and if so which kind you'd want to use. Paints can be finicky with some major incompatibility from time to time. Just discuss either your painter what you are thinking vs what materials they're using. Any questions,  I'm a quick message away. I say that because I see that issue all the time where someone is trying to help a situation and put down say a rustoleum primer and then try to paint over the top and wonder why their paint is wrinkling and not sticking. No bueno.
-Lloyd

mikela8

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2023, 05:14 pm »
Hi Lloyd,

Yeah, they make the "Statements" seem like a misnomer.

Thanks for for the info on paint.  I spoke to Jay about what he used on the marbleized purple NX-Tremes he had painted.  He used a penetrating epoxy to ensure that the MDF seams didn't show through which I know can be a problem.  I will definitely check with the folks who are going to do the painting before I proceed.

Mike