ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

WG

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1600 on: 11 Dec 2010, 01:52 am »
jriggy,

You may want to check with Dan on how low your unit was modified if you intend to pursue another EML.  Note owenmd's post, that his Transporter has been lowered twice.  I believe the current level is lower than earlier mod that included a reduction intended to address the potential EML issue.  I had the first mod, including Bybee, but not the second.  My EML had few hours before going in for the mod, but the tube died like so many have.  While I really liked the EML in my system, I have elected not to do another.

Regards,
Will

dminches

« Reply #1601 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:27 pm »
I've been using the MWTP with a pair of black treasures and an EML mesh.  I am going to roll in a pair of Bad Boys to see how they sound.  Has anyone used this combination, or, at a minimum, tried the Bad Boys?  I have TS BGRPs in my LS-100 so I didn't want to "double up" on those and use them in the MWTP too.

scp2

« Reply #1602 on: 14 Dec 2010, 11:59 pm »
I have been dreaming of getting an EML tube for a while and finally got one today. All I can say if it sounds half as good as it looks..WOW.

It's a monster...I knew it was big....this thing is going to look cool sitting in my MWTP.

I sent my TP to Dan for a voltage check so hopefully it will last a couple of years.

jriggy

« Reply #1603 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:53 am »
Hey guys,

Sorry for slow response here...

I guess I will try one more EML. I have some things that need to be evaluated and its been a lil difficult not having my tried and true EML in the mix. I call it our "Glory Tube"  :lol:

I believe I got my MWTP 'adjusted' for usage with the EML back in Nov. of last year. So, depending on the time line, I think this was kind of early on in the voltage lowering days. I would venture to guess it was not lowerd as much as Owenmd's has been. Since you had it done twice and all... I wonder if Dan would know what it was lowered to back then anyway? I do not want to live with out it that long again... Well, I could, since I have a modded Oppo now too - But I think having the voltage lowered  carries a bigger price tag now anyway.

Ill give one more EML a shot...

Berto

« Reply #1604 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:20 am »
Hey guys,

I guess I will try one more EML. I have some things that need to be evaluated and its been a lil difficult not having my tried and true EML in the mix. I call it our "Glory Tube"  :lol:

I believe I got my MWTP 'adjusted' for usage with the EML back in Nov. of last year. So, depending on the time line, I think this was kind of early on in the voltage lowering days. I would venture to guess it was not lowerd as much as Owenmd's has been. Since you had it done twice and all... I wonder if Dan would know what it was lowered to back then anyway? I do not want to live with out it that long again... Well, I could, since I have a modded Oppo now too - But I think having the voltage lowered  carries a bigger price tag now anyway.

I had it done 6 months ago about. Dan also gave me a brand new knob since mine was frozen, not my biz to quote you, but cost was very reasonable including roundtrip shipping. I did it when my Ulysses were on order so didnt miss it that much. Very cost effective for Glory that is :thumb:

scp2

« Reply #1605 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:19 pm »
I have a question about swapping tubes in the MWTP.  Do you have to power off the unit and unplug it every time you swap a tube? Or can you just flip the switch on the back that turns off the tube?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1606 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:40 pm »
I have a question about swapping tubes in the MWTP.  Do you have to power off the unit and unplug it every time you swap a tube? Or can you just flip the switch on the back that turns off the tube?

Always a best practice to shut off your equipment when replacing tubes.

Also make sure the tubes have cooled down and/or that you wear some type of hand protection.

George

AB

« Reply #1607 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:11 pm »
Hey guys,

Maybe I missed this somewhere back in the thread, but did you see the dark lines on the tube glass of your failed EML as others have described? Just curious.

No lines on mine yet....hopefully never.

EDIT: I just had a closer look  - dark vertical lines on the tube glass of my EML. Tick tock, tick tock...
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 08:44 pm by AB »

scp2

« Reply #1608 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:17 pm »
Always a best practice to shut off your equipment when replacing tubes.

Also make sure the tubes have cooled down and/or that you wear some type of hand protection.

George

Thanks I figured so...what about unplugging it?

Berto

« Reply #1609 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:27 pm »
Thanks I figured so...what about unplugging it?

That is probably the safest, although I just flip the tube switch since that controls the power to the tubes.

dminches

« Reply #1610 on: 11 Jan 2011, 08:17 pm »
I rolled pair of Bad Boys in my MWTP to replace the Black Treasures.  I did not really like them.  The low end sounded thinner and the mid range lost some of its detail.  What impressions have others had with the Bad Boys?

modwright

« Reply #1611 on: 12 Jan 2011, 08:30 pm »
ALWAYS TURN OFF OUR PREAMPS WHEN CHANGING TUBES!  I would also recommend unplugging to be absolutely safe, because if you hit the power button while changing tubes, it is EQUALLY dangerous.

WHEN CHANGING FUSES: ALWAYS UNPLUG FROM WALL!!!

Thanks guys!

Dan

Todd R

« Reply #1612 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:27 am »
Hi,
Maybe I missed it, but I'm trying to find out where you get the 9 pin to octal tube adapters so I can run 6SN7 tubes in my Transporter?
Dan mentioned that someone on eBay in Hong Kong sells them fairly cheap, but I couldn't find it.
I'm aware that Boulder cable makes some, but I'm not willing to pay that much for them, plus they are pretty tall.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Todd R

Bigfish

« Reply #1613 on: 27 Jan 2011, 02:54 am »
Hi,
Maybe I missed it, but I'm trying to find out where you get the 9 pin to octal tube adapters so I can run 6SN7 tubes in my Transporter?
Dan mentioned that someone on eBay in Hong Kong sells them fairly cheap, but I couldn't find it.
I'm aware that Boulder cable makes some, but I'm not willing to pay that much for them, plus they are pretty tall.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Todd R

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-6SL7-6SN7-6CG7-tubes-SUB-/260708902839?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cb37627b7

Send this guy a PM as I think he is the guy I purchased my tube adapters from a couple of years ago.

Ken

Todd R

« Reply #1614 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:04 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-6SL7-6SN7-6CG7-tubes-SUB-/260708902839?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cb37627b7

Send this guy a PM as I think he is the guy I purchased my tube adapters from a couple of years ago.

Ken

OK, thanks.
Dan was telling me there was a guy selling them for about $10. Any idea who that one was?

Berto

« Reply #1615 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:34 am »
I recall it being cheaper but never $10 bux. Guess he rasied his prices. I had a guy in FL make me some for about $75 I think but there tall.

vett93

« Reply #1616 on: 29 Jan 2011, 11:28 pm »
What are the top choices for the rectifier tube beside EML 5U4G and Sophia/Full Music 274B? I should receive my modded Transporter on Monday. I have 5U4G tubes from RCA, GE, and Sylvania, as well as Mullard GZ34/5AR4 already.

dminches

« Reply #1617 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:48 am »
I have tried and Mullard GZ34 and the GE and the RCA fat base.  All have sounded nice.  The EML has remained in the player the longest.

I have found the 6SN7s to have a bigger effect on the sound.  I am currently using Sylvania 6sN7W metal bases.  I also tried a pair of Ken Rads.  My favorite so far are the Shuguang Black Treasures.

Todd R

« Reply #1618 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:45 am »
Do the Black Treasures seem like they have a long break in time?
I had one once, in a deHavilland pre-amp. It was nice, warm & rich, but lacking some clarity & detail but I may not have got them fully broke in before the pre-amp got sold.

I have got a set on order for my Transporter. I'm curious.

dminches

« Reply #1619 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:19 am »
I did not find their break in period unusually long.  I find that NOS or new production take 30-50 hours to settle in.