ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Marco Prozzo

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1560 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:04 am »
Hey Mike,

here is a quote from the guy @ EML and a thought from me from earlier...
-------------------------------------
This quote from iGrant got me wondering.
"We don't know how long they will last in service, certain materials that made NOS last so long just aren't allowed to be used anymore, but we have zero reports of failures on them since we got our AT-1000 and could sort out the grading and reject the 'too far from spec' ones. We expect more than 5,000 hours, time will tell."

It seems to be the consensus so far that the Black Treasures sound better than the Round Plates but how much better? I know the 'how much better' outlook is subjective but if the TungSol's are very very good to begin with and last possibly twice as long (10,000 hrs) at the same price, then one could look at it as the Black Treasures costing twice as much if you must purchase them more often.
--------------------------------------

Im still on my first EML and TS round plates and did not try the black treasures yet. I am seeing the striping on the EML now though. Took it out to try the Bel GZ34; I will miss  the EML but the GZ34 was really good too. A little 'splashy' in the highs but more definition in the bass IME. Guessing the highs will tighten up over time.

I think you might be confusing "guy @ EML"  (who is George / Valvesaglowin), with Ian Grant, of Grant Fidelity importer of the Black Treasures (I don't think they sell EML).  It seems like the quote you mentioned is about the Black Treasures, and not the EML.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1561 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:27 am »
A little over a week ago I was unhappy to hear my system sounding harsh and grainy. I figured the 6H30 tubes in my 36.5 were going bad. As it turns out they are fine but the Black Treasures in the TP back slid substantially and were sounding like they were breaking in all over again.
These BTs have over 600 hours on them and I never suspected they would ever sound so sour again. But they did and for over 7 days +- they sounded like crap. All seems better now but who would have thought these tubes could still be wandering around sound wise? Weird...

Oh'fer'chrissake, will you guys make up your minds!!! :rotflmao:

I heard the rains were just a cover-up for the story they're trying to hide in Guatemala!  Some dude's Black Treasures started to get unstable, until they finally reached critical mass as they passed hour 827.  He ain't around to comment here anymore, but the pictues tell it all! .  I just went back to the stock RCA 5U4G's and 6N1P Sovteks that Dan sent along with the TP - They ain't no Black Treasure/EML magic bullet, but at least I'm here to write about it.

Just kidding, of course.   I've had no wild fluctuations of performance since early on.  No idea how many hours on mine, but they still sound great.  I'll swap out my TSR's at some point in the near future and report who gets the crown.  If there's a report of some crater in Seattle caused by floods...well, then I probably had about 826 hours on mine and didn't know it. 

jriggy

« Reply #1562 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:58 am »
I think you might be confusing "guy @ EML"  (who is George / Valvesaglowin), with Ian Grant, of Grant Fidelity importer of the Black Treasures (I don't think they sell EML).  It seems like the quote you mentioned is about the Black Treasures, and not the EML.

Oh, yes, I did mean IGrant regarding the Black Treasures... And then I was just making a comment about my EML 5U4G rectifier. Sorry for confusion.

michaelrp2

« Reply #1563 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:45 pm »
Finally received the octal adapters from Bolder and the Black Treasures from PM Components here in the UK... and the BTs are a clear step up from the 6N1P I was using before... used with the EML rectifier tube. So many thanks for the advice! Best wishes, Michael.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1564 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:53 pm »
Finally received the octal adapters from Bolder and the Black Treasures from PM Components here in the UK... and the BTs are a clear step up from the 6N1P I was using before... used with the EML rectifier tube. So many thanks for the advice! Best wishes, Michael.

Glad to hear it, and not surprising!  The adapters will open up a whole new world of opportunities to roll other options in there.  Lots of great potential to be tapped.  The BT's still work great for me too. Enjoy!

Berto

« Reply #1565 on: 18 Jun 2010, 06:46 pm »
Glad to hear it, and not surprising!  The adapters will open up a whole new world of opportunities to roll other options in there.  Lots of great potential to be tapped.  The BT's still work great for me too. Enjoy!

And I doubt anyone can do better then that combo, I've tried :duh:

jriggy

« Reply #1566 on: 9 Jul 2010, 02:53 pm »
I finally have speakers that are allowing me to truly hear my system!!!
 And that leads me to a question...
What would damping the rectifier tube accomplish? I ask because I believe I am getting what I understand to be, just a bit of over sibilance... Would damping the EML control this? Or is that something that only comes from the signal tubes? Which in my case are the TungSol round plates.

~J

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1567 on: 9 Jul 2010, 03:39 pm »
I finally have speakers that are allowing me to truly hear my system!!!
 And that leads me to a question...
What would damping the rectifier tube accomplish? I ask because I believe I am getting what I understand to be, just a bit of over sibilance... Would damping the EML control this? Or is that something that only comes from the signal tubes? Which in my case are the TungSol round plates.

~J

Are these brand new speakers?  If so, perhaps you should give the drivers time (300 hrs or so) to break in before making any changes.  Which speakers did you get?

jriggy

« Reply #1568 on: 9 Jul 2010, 03:55 pm »
They are not brand new but the crossovers are... I purchased Frank's Ulysses' and had the all polly crossover option put in.

Your suggestion is the right thing to do.
I am only on hour 50 or so for the crossovers. The HF board has a Teflon MW cap that needs 400 hrs or so to be completely broken in.

But what does damping the rectifier tube achieve? 
Not that I want to put money into a tweek for a tube that will most likely die an early death... I may just buy one more if it goes soon, as I would like to live with an EML with these speakers for a while.

fwinston

« Reply #1569 on: 9 Jul 2010, 04:41 pm »
Congrats on getting your Ulysses with the all poly crossover!

Because the crossover needs about 400 hours to break in, why not use another rectifier tube during that break-in time to spare putting all those hours on the EML tube.  After that, reinsert the EML tube and find out if the sibilance is gone.

jriggy

« Reply #1570 on: 9 Jul 2010, 09:07 pm »
^ Thanks so much Frank! (the other Frank)
I was planing on emailing you to talk about the good news :D

Im doing all non-listening break-in through a tuner, leaving the MWTP off during these times...

I was wondering about dampening because listening through the MW Oppo BDP 83 the sound is deep and even across all frequencies. Through the MWTP there is a slight sibilance exaggeration . Not across all HF's though, so my first thought was the EML.... My MWTP is not hard wired yet (waiting to move a new computer to different location), so maybe it is the slight thinness from the Transporters wifi I am finally hearing...

We'll see... Ill give the speakers some time.
I am probably just hearing (finally!) all the subtle nuances of my system that I will want to begin to tweak... None the less, I am pretty pumped with these speakers.

EDIT: Thanks for the PM's and the great suggestions!

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2010, 10:22 pm by jriggy »

modwright

« Reply #1571 on: 10 Jul 2010, 11:06 pm »
I two am a proud and VERY happy owner of a pair of Daedalus Ulysses.  I am expecting to have my crossovers updated too, at Lou's convenience.  I love the Ulysses' so much as it is that I really can't wait to hear how much better this will make them.

Hat's off to Lou for taking such a fine product to the next level!

Damping the rectifier tube may help.  You can also try different driver tubes to warm up the sound.

I am pleased that you are enjoying the MW Oppo!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

jriggy

« Reply #1572 on: 13 Jul 2010, 12:50 am »
Thank you Dan,

I am really enjoying my system (Lou's speakers and your sources) for the first time in well over a year... you will be very happy with the AP option.

Per the discussion, I have realized it is time to invest in a good power cord for the TP. and new conditioning...

~J

dminches

« Reply #1573 on: 11 Sep 2010, 11:37 am »
I still have my EML rectifier in a box after hearing of all the early failures of it. Are there any recent stories about it?  I guess I should just give it a whirl and see how it does.

Philistine

« Reply #1574 on: 11 Sep 2010, 11:54 am »
I still have my EML rectifier in a box after hearing of all the early failures of it. Are there any recent stories about it?  I guess I should just give it a whirl and see how it does.

I've had my EML in the MWTP for over a year and it's still going strong.  However, the EML 5U4G is more sensitive than other 5U4G's and has additional power supply design criteria.  I would check with Dan before trying it again, just to be safe.

jriggy

« Reply #1575 on: 12 Sep 2010, 01:54 pm »
Or you could sell it to me.  :D

jriggy

« Reply #1576 on: 14 Sep 2010, 01:42 pm »
I wanted to return and mention that I bought my EML used, but it has still been going strong for a year now, with lots of weekly hours.

dminches

« Reply #1577 on: 3 Oct 2010, 05:10 pm »
Quick general tube questions.  If I am looking for a 6SN7 tube, can I use a 6SN7GT?  What do the letters after the 7 mean?  If there is a nice tube FAQ link someone could send me I'd appreciate it.

AB

JG2

« Reply #1579 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:46 pm »
Here are some good ones:

http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/6sn7_vt.htm

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

Ten 6SN7 Recommendations Having auditioned most 6SN7s (and there are a lot of them), I've decided to draft a list of ten "must audition" tubes. I chose these selections based on not only absolute performance, but also for sonic diversity. I am confident you will find a 6SN7 that suits your needs and/or preferences from the tubes listed below. Disclaimer: This is not a top ten list. There are many other excellent performers that missed the cut for various reasons. You may very well prefer a 6SN7 that is not on this list. And of course, this is all just my personal opinion. My goal is to provide a list of 6SN7 recommendations that provide excellent sonics but sound significantly different. Tubes are listed in alphabetical order (not by ranking). Brimar 6SN7GT/6SN7GTY: Lush. This is arguably the warmest, most "round" sounding 6SN7 produced. While in some systems, it may sound slow and bloated, in other systems, it sounds lush and wonderfully bloomy. Ken Rad 6SN7GT/VT-231: Bass champs. The treble may not be the most refined, but both the clear and black glass versions provide world-class bass performance married with a sweet and seductive midrange. Hytron 6SN7GT: Neutral and fast. Need speed and clarity? Hytrons are very hard to top. This is definitely my personal tube of choice for detail and neutrality. I liken Hytrons to crystal clear streams. National Union gray glass 6SN7GT: Liquid and mellow. This tube is perfect to tame harsh systems or if you are looking for more open ambience from your 6SN7. NU GG is like floating on cloud nine. Raytheon 6SN7GT/VT-231 type II flat plates: Sweet PRAT. This tube is much like the Hytron 6SN7GT, but with a sweeter tone. Not quite as detailed or neutral as the Hytron, but arguably more seductive. RCA gray glass 6SN7GT/VT-231: Romanticism and warmth. The RCA gray glass possesses a full midbass and gorgeous harmonic richness, but yet delicate and detailed. When I crave the quintessential tube sound, the RCA gray glass is the first tube I plug in. Sylvania 6SN7GT/VT-231: Heavenly from the belt up. I call this tube the anti-thesis of the Ken Rad 6SN7GT/VT-231. While somewhat lacking in bass impact, the Sylvania 6SN7GT/VT-231 arguably produces the most beautiful midrange and top end in this family of tubes. Its midrange is clear and open, and the treble is smooth as butter yet unrivaled in its detail and spatial separation. Zero listener fatigue is guaranteed. Sylvania "Bad Boys" 6SN7GT (1951-1953): World class everything. Imagine the Sylvania VT-231. Now imagine it with bass in spades! What you have is Sylvania 6SN7GT from this era, often reverently referred to as "Bad Boys." This tube is often mentioned in "best 6SN7" discussions. Sylvania 6SN7W: Dynamics and slam. I can think of no other 6SN7 with more visceral energy then the Sylvania 6SN7W. From earth-shattering bass to the sparkling treble, all three versions of the 6SN7Ws provide a full throttle musical experience. The Sylvania 6SN7W certainly earns its place as a legendary 6SN7. Tung Sol 6SN7GT/VT-231 round plates: Absolute silk. This tube needs no introduction. The Tung Sol round plates are arguably the most sought after 6SN7 for its "organic rightness." -Len

This is 'Len's' evaluation of this family of tubes.................not my own.

« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2010, 09:06 pm by JG2 »