ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

tomm

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1500 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:56 am »
On the topic of incoming power to the TP.  Anyone else got a message from the TP, I forgot the exact message, power overload or exceeded.  Then the TP would stop working, comes back up after unplug then plug in.  Don't know why or where it is sensing that.  I have a power conditioner in front of it and the rest of the equipments, and SUPPOSE to get a constant voltage feed.  Other equipments seemed OK. This happens every now and then, before & after the MOD.

JerryH

« Reply #1501 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:59 pm »
Bummer. How old was it? Where were you seeing the spark/flash? Did it take out a fuse?
Bummer.

It was a little over a year. The spark, or more like a sparkling, is the one good one I still have. It does it on power up in both the TP and the SWLP. No, it didn't take out the fuse.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1502 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:10 pm »
Seems like a good number of us had their EML tube die between 500-1000 hours...does anybody have an EML tube that they have used in their TP with over 1000 hours?

While George and Dan have been super supportive and great as usual, I am still very concerned with this short tube life for such an expensive tube.

George

funkmonkey

« Reply #1503 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:30 am »
me too...  George was in between shipments when I contacted him last.  I may have to wait a while more...  500 ish hours is way too short

AB

« Reply #1504 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:18 am »
The EML guarantee is for 12 months or 2000 hours which ever comes first. But reading the details gives me the impression it might not be that simple.

http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/guarantee/conditions.htm

Has anyone had an EML tube replaced under their guarantee?

CometCKO

« Reply #1505 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:42 am »
On the topic of incoming power to the TP.  Anyone else got a message from the TP, I forgot the exact message, power overload or exceeded.  Then the TP would stop working, comes back up after unplug then plug in.  Don't know why or where it is sensing that.  I have a power conditioner in front of it and the rest of the equipments, and SUPPOSE to get a constant voltage feed.  Other equipments seemed OK. This happens every now and then, before & after the MOD.
Probably nothing you need to worry about.

IIRC there was a software bug in one of the transporter updates that caused it to falsely report power problems.  I believe this is solved if you have the latest EEPROM update. 

You can search on the Squeezebox Community forum (was a post by Sean Adams that discussed the bug).

Hope this helps!

Frank

tomm

« Reply #1506 on: 31 Mar 2010, 05:06 am »
Frank,
Thanks for the reply.
My SqueezeBox Server information:
Version: 7.4.2 - r30215 @ Mon Feb 22 12:40:30 PST 2010
Firmware: 80

scp2

« Reply #1507 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:29 pm »
Seems like a good number of us had their EML tube die between 500-1000 hours...does anybody have an EML tube that they have used in their TP with over 1000 hours?

While George and Dan have been super supportive and great as usual, I am still very concerned with this short tube life for such an expensive tube.

George

What does everyone do in regards to turning off the tubes when not listening?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1508 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:33 pm »
My tubes are always off unless I am listening.  No point in wasting tube life and running up electricity costs.

George

funkmonkey

« Reply #1509 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:43 pm »
What does everyone do in regards to turning off the tubes when not listening?

definitely off when not listening...  though sometimes I let them warm up for 2 or 3 minutes before sending a signal through.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1510 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:45 pm »
definitely off when not listening...  though sometimes I let them warm up for 2 or 3 minutes before sending a signal through.

+1

I also do this with my tube mono blocks.

George

Bigfish

« Reply #1511 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:45 pm »
My tubes are always turned-off when not listening!  These babies are just too expensive to allow then to run when not in use.

Ken

sfig

« Reply #1512 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:13 pm »
Ditto.  My tubes are always off unless I'm listening.  Sometimes I listen through the digital outs through an external dac if I'm just piping music through the house.

JerryH

« Reply #1513 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:46 am »
Mine also always off when not in use.

CometCKO

« Reply #1514 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:57 pm »
Tubes go on when I sit down to listen.  Usually I'll play a Teaching Company Great Courses CD for 45 minutes while they're warming up.  Currently working through the Beethoven Piano sonata course (Professor Robert Greenberg).  After going through the course, then I'll fire up the music I just learned about and listen to a couple different interpretations.

After that, it will be a mix of LP's and the Transporter depending on how my day has been.  Usually my tubes get about 6-8 hours of play each day. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1515 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:09 pm »

George

Just had another EML die a premature death.

I am done.

George

tdangelo

« Reply #1516 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:12 pm »
Just had another EML die a premature death.

I am done.

George
Man, that stinks  :(  Hopefully it's still under warranty?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1517 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:14 pm »
Man, that stinks  :(  Hopefully it's still under warranty?

Nope.

George

AB

« Reply #1518 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:16 pm »
So now what?

Has anyone tried a good old metal base GZ34 with the Black Treasures? Seems it's been all BT with the EML.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1519 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:32 pm »
So now what?

Has anyone tried a good old metal base GZ34 with the Black Treasures? Seems it's been all BT with the EML.

I have the super expensive metal base, but I actually prefer this over it in my system:

http://www.tubemonger.com/1970s_Bel_NOS_NIB_GZ34_5AR4_Philips_Mullard_OEM_p/3.htm

I won't say it is as good as the EML, but it gets close.

George