Probiotics?

ctviggen

Re: Probiotics?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:37 pm »
I take a GoodBelly every day. Plus I make my own Kim Chee and fermented hot sauce.

How do you make the fermented hot sauce?  We've started to make our own yoghurt and want to make fermented vegetables but haven't done it yet.  I've also been making sourdough bread using "ancient wheat" (einkorn wheat). 

Don_S

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:38 pm »
Beer and wine are fermented aren't they?  Is that why the toast is "to your health"?
 :beer: :wine:  :thumb:

More seriously, would they be considered sources of good flora and fauna?  :scratch: I know grain alcohol is also fermented in origin but then it is distilled into sterility.

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:43 pm »
Just curious to know if any of you that take some type of probiotic if your seasonal allergies or allergies in general decreased?

What's stopped my allergies is no longer eating wheat and other whole grain products.  If I have much wheat at all, my allergies come back, as do various aches, chest congestion, and other symptoms.  I'm testing einkorn wheat, which is an "ancient" grain (with 14 chromosomes compared to the 42 or 46 current wheat has).  I haven't reached a conclusion about it, though.  I haven't been able to eat enough of it to test correctly. 

If you're interested, "Wheat Belly" is a good book on this subject.  I don't agree with some of his conclusions, but the subject is interesting.  So interesting, that my family is trying to be wheat free to the extent possible. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:56 pm »
What's stopped my allergies is no longer eating wheat and other whole grain products.  If I have much wheat at all, my allergies come back, as do various aches, chest congestion, and other symptoms.  I'm testing einkorn wheat, which is an "ancient" grain (with 14 chromosomes compared to the 42 or 46 current wheat has).  I haven't reached a conclusion about it, though.  I haven't been able to eat enough of it to test correctly. 

If you're interested, "Wheat Belly" is a good book on this subject.  I don't agree with some of his conclusions, but the subject is interesting.  So interesting, that my family is trying to be wheat free to the extent possible.

Yeah, since Thanksgiving weekend I've been doing my best to avoid any type of wheat products and anything with gluten if possible and have felt better. I'm trying to find out what gives me migraine type headaches and sinus congestion so doing the old process of elimination each week. I thought I read somewhere that probiotics can help alleviate allergies so I'm thinking of trying some to see how it goes.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2015, 10:29 pm »
Yeah, since Thanksgiving weekend I've been doing my best to avoid any type of wheat products and anything with gluten if possible and have felt better. I'm trying to find out what gives me migraine type headaches and sinus congestion so doing the old process of elimination each week. I thought I read somewhere that probiotics can help alleviate allergies so I'm thinking of trying some to see how it goes.

You can definitely try it.  You need both probiotics and prebiotics.  There are a bunch of resources on the Internet.

There's Free the Animal (look for resistant starch), although I think he reads things without being scientific enough for me.  There are many others.

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2015, 11:10 pm »
Sorry, my wife called me for dinner.  Here's what I think is a good overview:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/could-gut-bacteria-be-to-blame-for-your-stubborn-belly-fat/

I'd be interested to hear if pro- and prebiotics help you.  It could take a while, though.