GK-1R IR placement/wiring help

dayneger

« on: 18 Jan 2004, 10:19 am »
This question is probably an absolute no-brainer, but since I've been surprised by things like this before  :roll:, I thought I'd ask!

I'm trying to keep the front of my GK-1R as simple and clean as possible.  To this effect I'll be lightly rewiring the keypad so that all of the buttons are on a single row (basically, mute comes up where phono would be and HT-bypass only works with the remote).

As for the IR-sensor, it's also on the former second keypad row--hence the need for a new location.  My big brainstorm (I think this's kind of sneaky 8)) is to mount it in the volume knob, with the little dot acting as the volume level indicator.  This would require leads of approximately 150mm / 6" between the board and the sensor, including a small loop to take care of the rotation.

Any reason why this wouldn't work, or tips on how best to implement it so that is does?

Dayne

Tinker

• http://web.access.net.au/~bwilliam/macam
Re: GK-1R IR placement/wiring help
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2004, 10:33 am »
Quote from: dayneger

As for the IR-sensor, it's also on the former second keypad row--hence the need for a new location. My big brainstorm (I think this's kind of sneaky ) is to mount it in the volume knob, with the little dot acting as the volume level indicator. This would require leads of approximately 150mm / 6" between the board and the sensor, including a small loop to take care of the rotation.

Any reason why this wouldn't work, or tips on how best to implement it so that is does?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.  In fact I've had this IR receiver waving around on 1.5m of cable, no problem! HOWEVER, although I have never managed to destroy one in this way, the data sheet states that this is a static sensistive device. In principle a finger-borne static discharge could damage either the receiver, demodulator, filter or driver. This is unexplored territory. Tread carefully.

T.

dayneger

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2004, 03:57 pm »
Hmm, good point, Tinker.  Might want to keep that in mind wherever I place it.  Giving the static an easy path to ground is no problem, but maybe a little dicey if someone's finger actually touched the sensor directly.

Thanks for the tip!

Dayne