The Great NC DAC Shootout!! MENSA/BC/Nixon/MF

Hantra

« on: 3 Feb 2003, 02:03 am »
Well, I know you’re all waiting for the results of the DAC shootout, so I won’t waste any time in laying down my 4 pages of notes, and quotes from the guys.

First off, let’s revisit Brad’s system, and the review configuration of it to let you know what we were listening to.  

Our review system consists of the following:

- Tact RCS 2.2X
- Audio Research SP-6A (heavily modded by Richard Gray)
- Odyssey Stratos Monos
- Excelarray speakers (line array with Seas Excel’s and a Newform ribbon)
- Vecteur D-2 Transport
- Musical Fidelity A324
- Chris Venhaus Cat 5 DIY
- DH Labs digital cables
- Stock and Chris Venhaus flavors of power cords
- Bolder Cables M-80 Interconnects

Brad’s room is 25’ x 16’ x 14’ with a vault down the center.  

For our testing purposes, all room correction was turned OFF, and we did not run through the GW Labs DSP.  Also, we were able to get solid volume measurements using test tones from the Tact and a Rad Shack SPL meter.  

Attendees were:

Myself, BradV, Richard, Carl, and Andy.

We listened to the following DAC’s:

- Musical Fidelity A324
- Bel Canto DAC2
- Scott Nixon Tube DAC
- DI/O from Bolder Cables with MENSA mod

Special thanks goes out to BradV for letting us use the crib while mine is under construction.  Thanks to Wayne from Bolder Cables for loaning us his personal MENSA, and some cables.  Thanks to Brad’s wife for making the awesome dip to dampen some of Brad’s chip crunching during tracks.  ;-)

All of the following are MY observations, unless otherwise specified.

OK, without further ado, I present to you the NC DAC Shootout Play by Play. . . .

MF A324
_______________________________________ __________________

First off, we listened to Brad’s DAC which is the Musical Fidelity.  We matched up the volume so that we’d know what SPL we needed to listen to all the other DAC’s at, and then we sat down for some serious shooting out.  We listened at 76-77db to all discs, and all DAC’s.  All DAC’s used STOCK power except the MENSA.

The first disc up was Norah Jones’ Come Away With Me.  Track 3 was our first selection for serious listening.  That just happens to be also when Brad finished his first load of chips!  The crunching is a cool feature, but I like it turned off for purposes of our shootout. . . ;-)  

Track 3 was sweet.  Norah’s voice was really nice, and the piano was smooth, and life-sized.  There is some guitar action at 3:00 on that track which was nice and clean, and very well separated from the rest of the music.  Overall, this was a very enjoyable disc, and as our ears were getting warmed up, we switched to the Mapleshade’s Music Festival disc.  

This is a great disc, and right away I noticed the spatial cues, and superb imaging we were getting.  These Excelarray’s are really nice speakers!  At 2:00 on track 1, there are some killer drums coming in.  This was very impactful, and full of life.  Impressively real.  Track 2 is also really nice on this DAC.  The background is quiet, and black.  The only complaint I have here is that at 2:00 or so, the horns became a bit tinned.  This wasn’t offensive or anything, but it wasn’t really easy to listen to either.  

Patricia Barber was up next on Café Blue.  Track 11 on this disc is spectacular!  The piano on this track sounded really nice, but wasn’t particularly rich.  I suppose that is my bias b/c I am used to very rich piano from my all tube setup.  There are some sweet cymbals on this track, and they themselves were a nice reference point for DAC judging.  On Brad’s MF DAC, these cymbals were very spatial, and full.  They were located well past the edge of the speakers.  

The drum hits are really nice, and impactful on this track, but I noticed that they may have been a bit less full than the other DAC’s.  You could really hear the attack, but it was hard to hear the entire drum.  This is difficult for any system to reproduce, but the other DAC’s did a better job on this I think.  This track sounded a bit thin on the MF DAC.  

Bel Canto
_______________________________________ _________________

Next up is the Bel Canto.  All of our DAC’s were plugged in and warming up in other outlets so none were cold.  Brad’s pre also had a mute, so nothing had to be powered down to do the switching.  

The Bel Canto first had its own attempt at the same Patricia Barber track we had just heard.  Andy and I both thought the piano was smoother with the BC.  It had more richness than the MF DAC.  Brad says this DAC sounds a bit warmer than the MF, but with less air.  

The cymbals were a bit smaller, and stood out less from the presentation.  This is perhaps the “less air” that we talked about.  I seem to hear at 4:30 that there is more bass attack, but less decay.  This is a bit strange b/c on the drums, as Andy said, you could hear less of the stick, and more of the decay of the drum.  I heard more of the entire drum than I did before.  

We swapped out for the Mapleshades disc.  Again, I noticed that the attack on the double bass was not as pronounced, but there was more natural decay, and richness.  Andy said that he thought there was a vocal richness to this disc that wasn’t as prevalent as before.  The background seemed a bit quieter on this DAC vs. the MF.  Piano tones were very rich, and those horns we talked about were smoother, and according to Brad, were easier to listen to.  

Andy again commented on how the MF was more airy, and the BC seemed more open.  Track 1 on the Mapleshades disc seemed faster.  Perhaps this was a side effect of being a bit quieter, or perhaps the lack of air made it seem quieter, and faster.  Not sure.  Andy says that the BC is more laid back than the MF.  A few also commented on the soundstage being a bit deeper, and maybe a bit less wide.  

One disc we listened to was called Innovators by Sam Cardon, and Kurt Bestor.  This was a really neat disc for picking out low-level detail, and the BC may have had a bit less accuracy on the low level details than the MF.  At 1:53 in track 9, there is a spatial thing happening, and it seemed to be a foot or so right of the right speaker.  Brad says the vibraphone in this track is sweeter, but almost too sweet.  

Track 9 was also the one where digital filtering artifacts were most noticeable.  There is quite a bit going on at 4:00, and it is easy to notice if there are artifacts from filtering and oversampling.  It’s hard to know what they sound like if you haven’t had a filterless, non-oversampling DAC, but I caught it.  It was a bit better sounding than the MF on those particulars.

Track 10 sounded more like live guitar music than with the MF.

Norah Jones is next, and she has a more well rounded voice with the BC.  The piano is definitely smoother, but just as large.  Andy concludes that these DAC’s are very easy to tell apart, and have very good distinctively different traits.  He says it all depends on what you need in your system.  I agree!

MENSA (sort of)
_______________________________________ ___________________

Next comes the MENSA.  We took a chip break after plugging it to the system, but we had an issue where the power cable came out of the back.  One problem with Wayne’s BEEFY power cable, and supply is the cable is heavy, and if it has tension, it will pull out.  So, we found this after 20 mins, and put it back in, and started to listen.

Bad idea.  Don’t listen to a DAC that isn’t warm.  Especially this one.  We were all freaked out, so we just left it plugged, and went to the Nixon DAC.

Scott Nixon Tube DAC

When we plugged the Scott Nixon DAC in, we noticed a bit of hum.  It was very low level, but I had never noticed it before.  It’s dead quiet in my system.  Sometimes eerily quiet. . .  

Anyhow, we switched power supplies to Wayne’s, and that didn’t help.  So we switched back.  It could have been the close proximity to the AR tube pre, or the cabling.  Not sure.  We went ahead and listened b/c it was only distracting when it wasn’t playing.  

Track 1 on Norah Jones required 6db or so more volume to match all the others.  We also had to switch phase.  The Nixon has low gain, and requires phase switching because of the lack of an analog stage.  But good things come from leaving parts OUT.  The piano on track 1 was more defined, and on one of the vocal parts, I heard some background vocalists I had not heard before.  

The SN was much quieter than the other DAC’s, and I believe this led to increased dynamics b/c the notes were coming from a blacker than black background.  This is something I have noticed with a DAC that does not use oversampling, or filtering.  It is hard to notice unless you have heard it before, and lived with it.  The natural decay is all still there, but there is complete silence between notes.  That’s one of the things I like most about this DAC.  

Although my cohorts may disagree, I thought that the SN DAC had more bass, and there was more natural decay.  Again, this could have been the absence of digital noise.  Andy doesn’t seem to think that the depth of soundstage is there as it was with the other DAC’s.  Carl and Rich both agree that the SN DAC was “warmer, and cozier” than the other DAC’s.  Richard thought that the soundstage height had dropped as well.

On track 9 of Innovators at 1:35, the spatial info seemed to be a little more in front of the speaker on the right.  Also, at the 4:00 digital noise mark, I noticed a complete lack of the digital confusion that I had heard earlier.  This is a strange phenomenon, and one that few of us are aware is present if we haven’t lived without it.  

Track 10 gave us less detail on the SN according to Andy, and a bit flatter soundstage than the BC.  Carl says it’s not as convincing in the highs as the other DAC’s, and Rich again emphasized the SN’s smooth midrange.  

On Mapleshades’ disc, track one had plenty of silence between drum hits.  The dynamics had increased over the previous DAC’s, and the midrange was really nice.  I have to say that this was the first time I could say with 100% certainty that what we were hearing at 2:00 in track 1 was a saxaphone.  It sounded like a sax all along, but I wouldn’t have sworn it until I heard it on this DAC.

Andy’s feeling is that the highs were still not as sweet on the BC, and even a bit rolled off.  Track 4 gave us strong bass.  Perhaps there was a bit less attack on the bass than with the MF.  The piano is life-sized, and has more tonal definition than any DAC we heard.  The consensus is that this DAC is very easy to listen to.

On the Patricia Barber, the piano was luscious!  Near the end of the track, the individual cymbal hits during the cymbal roll were easier to discern.  I have conclusions about this, which are based in opinion, and I will post them later.  I want to keep the review as non-biased as I can.

MENSA

Now, on to our last DAC, the MENSA DI/O.  I was very excited to get a chance to listen to this DAC.  Andy was looking forward to it as well.  This DAC also had the fatty upgraded power supply from Wayne.

This time, we had ample warm-up time, and things were much improved!  On the Barber track, the vocals had more air.  The piano was more recessed than with the previous DAC’s.  The other DAC’s really emphasized the midrange more.  This DAC was not emphasizing ANYTHING.  This DAC was the same at every frequency, and had very little coloration.  The piano did seem a bit veiled, but again, we had just finished listening to a luscious DAC made for piano.  ;-)  

We heard more bass, but it wasn’t quite as tight.  The attack on the double bass was more pronounced on the Mapleshades track.  More pronounced than any of the other DAC’s.  Andy says the MENSA is more focused and crisp than any of the other DAC’s we heard.  Also, he thought it was more balanced from top to bottom.  Carl thought the MENSA was a bit cold, and maybe sterile.  

The cymbals seemed to go higher, and the highs were perhaps more extended.  This DAC had less emotion than the other DAC’s in our test.  This is quite probably more accurate in the true sense of the word, but not necessarily more enjoyable.  This is perhaps wildly system dependant, as is everything!  The DAC was very crisp in relation to the others.  

Andy says again how well balanced it is.  It wasn’t cold, or warm.  It was just a DAC.  Carl says it reproduces all sounds accurately, and I found it to be the quietest of all the DAC’s except for the SN DAC.  

If it seems that the MENSA review is shorter, the listening session was also a bit shorter.  It took no time to pick out the particulars of this DAC, as there were none.  It was consistently consistent.  ;-)

In conclusion, draw your own conclusion.  I am sure that each of us will post our opinions on these sweet DAC’s, but I will end the objective portion of the review without picking a clear winner.  Each of these DAC’s are very nice, and not one would disappoint.  It all depends on what you are after.  

I hope our shootout at least gives you a better idea of what these DAC’s are about so you can narrow down your DAC choices.

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2003, 02:12 am »
All:

I just had to add my opinions about the DAC shootout today.  I didn't want to muck up the reiew, and not keep it as objective as I could.  

I really liked all the DAC's we tested.  I could easily live with any of them.  My favorite DAC out of the bunch was my own DAC, but the Bel Canto was very close.  If the Bel Canto DAC 2 had been no oversampling, and no digital filtering, then it would be a no brainer.  

I really like the no oversampling, and am very addicted to the sound I get from it.  Most of the guys today thought that it was a bit lacking at the frequency extremes, and I am not sure I disagree with that, but I don't miss anything in my own system.

Since entering the alternative world of no onversampling, or filtering, I have pondered much that I thought I knew about digital.  Among these questions, and things that I have thought about are:

- Is the extra "air" around vocals, and HF's actually there, or is that created by the digital noise?  I mean, I did hear the extra "air" around these things with the other DAC's.  On vocals, I am not sure I like the extra air.  On cymbals, It's not necessarily bad, but is it correct?  To my ears, the no oversampling just sounds more like music.  It sounds more like what I'd hear at a show.  I wouldn't be hearing extra "air" around anything.  With live music, you get what you get, and that's that.  

Today, Brad fired up his fat fat fat VPI Aries with the JMW 10, and I will tell you that if you are ever trying to pick the best DAC, don't let someone turn on a sweet TT.  hehehe  The analog from this thing is amazing!  But I failed to hear that extra "air" that we so often speak of.  Maybe I am making excuses for my DAC being "weak" in the frequency extremes, and all this could be non-sense.  But it could also all be true!  

What do you guys think?

Perhaps this belongs in another thread of its own. . .

ANYWAY . . .

I had a great time today, and all these guys are top notch!  We are even planning an amp shootout down at Carl's place!  

B

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2003, 02:57 am »
Uhh, isn't SN's DAC run off DC voltage? And the DI/O is run off AC. If you plugged the DI/O supply into a DC component I hope you didn't damage it.

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2003, 02:59 am »
Nahh man. . . Nixon's Tube dac uses A/C.  The one without the tube is DC.

B

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2003, 03:01 am »
:oops: Sorry, my bad. I didn't know he had 2 different DAC's. I only remember seeing pics of one of them. Musta been the one w/out the tube...

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2003, 03:36 am »
Thanks for taking the time to compile 4 pages of notes and putting them into this thread.  Sounds like you guys had lots of fun.  What are the prices of these dac's?  SN's dac web site?  What chips did Brad like best?

Thanks,

Hantra

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2003, 03:44 am »
The Nixon DAC is $350 assembled for the tubed version.  There is a non-tubed version which can be run from battery power for $250 assembled.  All are available in kit form.

The MF DAC is around $1200 retail.

The Bel Canto is $1300 retail.

The MENSA is the cost of a DI/O, $129 or so + mods from Wayne which are $410, and the power supply is $125.  Grand total = 664+ shipping. . .

I would say they are all really great values as far as DAC's go!

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2003, 03:47 am »
Dudes, if you want value then build the Nixon Dac yourself. Alright, money where my mouth is, the parts are on the way, let you know in a few weeks ;-)

ehider

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:55 am »
:idea: Per the question "what do you guys think?":

When I have tried to figure out which dac is the "best" dac, I use the following as absolute evaluation criteria: Use the imaging spatial cues as the most important cursor of absolute performance. I'm not talking about "air" necessarily, but absolute image placement of performers, depth, width and then the actual space around each of the performers. Additionally, in my experience the better dacs always have a relaxed sound about them. I'm not referring to a distant soundstage mind you, but an actual "analog" fluidity of unmechanical sound (for lack of  better words), anyone who has experienced an "over the top" analog rig knows exactly what I'm referring to here.

As I've progressed into better and better digital over the years (I'm now on my ninth digital front end and have auditioned over 50 in that timeframe), I've found the above aforementioned criteria to be the most telling of what dac/cd player is the "best". I realize that there are so many things other than just absolute imaging to consider, like dynamic slam, bass, treble sweetness, etc...but if there is one thing that always distinguishes the better overall dac it always seems to be the imaging ability and overall analog fluidity IMHO.  :mrgreen: BTW: It is my understanding that these are also the hardest things to capture and preserve in a digital playback front end i.e the more of these particular attributes the more information being retrieved from the cd itself then the unit is most likely doing a better job of preserving the finite hardest to capture musical details :!:  

Additionally, when I've compared supposed "great" digital to over the top turntables (like the $70k+ Rockport for instance) the superior imaging and relaxed "unmechanical" fluid sound of the analog rig was sooooooooooooooo obvious in comparison :!: (This goes for master tapes too). These qualities still have many audiophiles hating digital and still longing for analog in my experience. (I've seen the comparisons first hand and it's not a pretty sight to see audiophiles agasp on how digital can suck the life right out of music once they hear the best analog rig).  :o  Thank god digital is finally starting to get some of these qualities. I was starting to think that is just wasn't possible with digital.

One final point is that the above type of digital comparison and analysis of different dacs/cd players only works well when you use a system that images like no tomorrow! I'm talking about absolute rock solid images all over the room where people are saying "I can't tell where the speakers are in the room, they have totally disappeared!". To this day I'm still bewildered how many audiophiles I've met who have systems that just don't really image as well as they should. ARGH  :!:  :!: If they only knew what they were missing   :(

BikeWNC

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:56 am »
I guess it's my turn to post my impressions from the dac shootout.  Brandon has pretty much cover the particulars from the tracks used during the audition, so I'll stick to my general impressions.

First up the MF dac.  This dac had the widest soundstage.  It also had the best resolution among the dacs reviewed.  I felt that I could see more into the music, hear the resonance of the plucked strings of the bass and the skin on the drums.  The overall balance was a bit lean.  Piano sounded light, less percussive than it should.  Vocals were also a bit thin.  This dac had the bounciest sound, perhaps tending to the bright side, especially when compared to the other dacs reviewed.  The MF had more top end air and perhaps combined with the leaner mids made it seem a bit bright.  

Next the BC Dac2.  This unit is my personal dac so take these comments with that in mind.  Compared to the other dacs, the BC had a more relaxed nature.  It had the best depth of soundstage of the group.  Soundstage width was a bit less than the MF.  Resolution of detail was not quite up to the MF, though in no way was it muddy.  The BC had the warmth in the midrange that the MF lacked.  It produced a very engaging and coherent soundstage that was very easy to listen to.  The piano tracks were well weighted and percussive.  Horns were biting but not bright, or soft and full bodied when called for.  Vocals were rich.  The BC lacks the top air of the MF.  

The SN Tube Dac.  It took me a while to get a handle on this dac.  At first listen it has a very appealing sound.  What I found was the midrange is the whole story on this dac.  Piano is absolutely vibrant, with great impact and tone.  Vocals are very rich.  However, I thought these characteristics were over emphasized to the detriment of the bass and treble which seemed to be rolled off.  This dac had the most forward sound of the group.  Soundstage was slightly narrower and not as deep as the BC. To my ears, this dac did not have the focus of the others tested.

The Bolder Cable Mensa DIO.  This dac had the sharpest focus in the group.  Tack sharp.  Cymbals were well extended and crisp.  Vocals did not have the warmth of the BC or SN, but had more body than the MF.  Top and low end extension was excellent.  The Mensa Dio did not quite match the resolution of the MF, and it equaled the BC in that regard.  Neutrality is it's forte'.  Excellent balance from top to bottom.  Piano seemed a bit light in weight though.  With it's neutral nature, this dac fits squarely between the brighter MF and the warmer sounding BC.  Soundstage width is on par with the BC, though not quite as deep.  I thought in this system, overall, the Mensa Dio sounded less engaging than the other dacs. Too neutral for my ears?

Edit
I took a second look at the review I posted bleary-eyed late last night after over 400 miles of driving. I would like to take a second to clarify my statements concerning the Bolder Cable Mensa DIO use in the shootout. I was glad to finally get to hear what all the fuss has been about. Unfortunately, Brad's system as it was configured for the shootout really screamed for warmth IMO. The neutality of the Mensa DIO was exposed as a fault in his rig. But it's not the dac's problem, it's a synergy thing. In another system, I could see the Mensa DIO beating any of the other dacs tested. I hope you could tell from my review that I especially liked the pinpoint focus and even balance of the Mensa.

If I had to choose my favorite from today's listening session, in Brad's system, I would choose the BC.  Mostly due to its midrange warmth and non fatiguing nature.  But again, each of these dacs has it's place in the right system.  YMMV.

Thanks Brad for hosting the shootout.  I'd drive 440 miles anytime to hear those ExcellArrays!

Andy

Brad V

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2003, 01:42 pm »
I really had a great time and it was really nice to be able to put the faces with the names. It was a delight to listen to all these DACs and everyone got along so well.

First off I want to clear up one thing that the B man stated. He wrote "We listened at 76-77db to all discs, and all DAC’s". We didn't listen to everything at 76-77db. What we did, was set the initial volume to match 76-77db on the Radio Shack meter. This way we were able to set the volume accordingly to match each DAC. I believe the volume we listened to each track on different CD's was differerent. For instance, the volume LED was showing 60 for the MF A324 DAC, when the RS Meter showed 76-77DB, however when we listened to various CD's, the LED for the volume control was showing 67 for some and 72 for others.

Tsunami pretty much summed up my impressions. I can't speak for imaging or soundstage, as I let everyone else share the couch that was between the speakers. I was always off the the left side, where I was sitting facing the left speaker.

After hearing all 4 DACs, I have to say it is extremely hard to compare that many DACs in one sitting. I probably would have preferred comparing just 2, where we could have spent more time doing direct comparisons and hearing a wider variety of music.  I also would have chosen some other pieces to listen to. Pieces which includes many instruments at one time, like orchestral works, could have given us a totally different picture.

As far as the TT goes, I've had it in my main system for a week, with the brand new cartridge only having about 12 hours of play on it. It hasn't been tweaked and I haven't chosen any interconnects for it, so there is much room for improvement on it. The Interconnects on it, I'm almost ashamed to say, has those cheap interconnects that come with a VCR. You know, those little interconnects that many people just throw away.  Even so, I think everyone got to hear that there isn't a DAC that any of us have heard, that can come close to what we heard when playing Tin Pan Alley by "Stevie Ray Vaughn".

My personal favorites were the BC and MF. It would be a hard choice to make a decision which one I would want to pick. All 4 DACs did certain things very well. If you took the best aspects of each DAC and rolled it into one, you'd have one killer DAC. I also think that I would highly recommend the BC for a speaker system that is very neutral, where I would highly recommend the MF DAC for a system that was Dark sounding. The Seas Excel drivers in the Excelarray are ruthlessly revealing and have very little coloration, so the BC DAC and the Scott Nixon's DAC gave a sweetness that was very enjoyable.

If someone was a midrange freak, I would have to recommend Scott Nixon's DAC.

At the end, I gave everyone a short demo of what the Tact can do. It was very interesting watching everyone's expression, when I took the Tact from bypass mode to do room correction and apply a frequency curve.  Of course, it is very noticeable on some tracks and less on other. As soon as I gave a demo of it, Andy was quick to ask that his BC DAC be inserted in the chain. Too bad we ran out of time, as Andy had a big drive ahead of him, as well as the Carlman.

Now, I'm really interested in hearing the B-man's Audionote Preamp in my system, to see what it can do in place of my 30 year old Audio Research SP-6A.

Again, I had a great time and welcome all the guest back anytime.

Have a great day,

Brad

Hantra

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2003, 02:25 pm »
Right, my bad. . .

I told you that TacT just confuses the heck out of me!  hehe  Anyhow, the volume was consistent on all DAC's.  

I agree about comparing 4 DAC's.  I am glad we didn't have more.  That's a tough task to take on, but I'm glad we at least got to check out the other DAC's.

I can lug the Audio Note over any time.  Just let me know when.  I listened to it a bit lastnight on the vinyl before the TT gave up the ghost.  hehehe  I'm really upset that you had to go and play that vinyl b/c I spent all my audio budget on fixing my fiance's WRX after plowing some snow with it a couple weeks ago.  ;-)

Now I am going to have lots of time to pick out what TT I want to buy (and can afford).

Thanks again B!

B

BikeWNC

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:06 pm »
Hey Brad, I think I may have left my Mapleshade disc at your house.  I guess that's just the price of admission.   :)     Your welcome to keep it, just let me know if you have it so that I can stop looking for it around here.

Andy

Brad V

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:17 pm »
Hi Andy,

I'll look for it when I get home tonight. I played some Vinyl last night and didn't see it out on the Coffee Table. Also, the Vecteur Transport didn't have a CD in it. Was it just the CD you're missing or are you missing the Case and CD?

Let me know.

Brad

BikeWNC

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:25 pm »
Brad,

Both the case and cd.  Thanks.

Andy

Carlman

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:26 pm »
I have to say thanks again to Brad for hosting this in his house and working things out with his family to have lots of listening time and for supplying snacks and drinks.  I hope to return the favor in late March for an amp shootout.  (I just hope my wife is as understanding.)

Why did I drive 70 miles to hear this shootout?  2 reasons, first, I wanted to hear DAC differences in general. 2nd, I wanted to hear the Odyssey monoblocks.  I am only commenting on the DAC's in this review.  

My history with DAC's:  I've owned an Audio Alchemy DDSII, Soundstream DAC-1, and am now using a Museatex Melior.  I compared the Soundstream and Museatex a long time ago and found no differences at the time.  Now I have a much more revealing system with Revel F30's and modified AI 2-d preamp.  I know I'm a little new to DAC's and wanted to find out more of what the real diffences in DAC's are.  Is it all hype?

The answer is no.  My present goal is to build a system with a lively performance, perfect voice and excellent soundstage.  I like good, articulate sounds but also smoothness and musicality.  To me, the Bel Canto did this the best.  When music was fast and articulate, it came through.  If a singer was warm and in an intimate situation, the BC reproduced that 'scene' well.  I thought it was the most versatile.

I had the least time listening to the Musical Fidelity since I was running a bit late getting to the party.  I turn where?...  :oops:   Of what I heard, I found it lively and articulate and did nothing wrong.  It was engaging, fast, and musical. (as the name suggests ;) )  

The Nixon DAC I found very musical, warm, and enjoyable.  For the money, I think it's awesome.  Sonically, it's 15% shy of the BC or MF and 50+% cheaper.  The negatives for me was that it sounded a little too warm and the highs weren't spot on like the BC.  The sound of a cymbal seemed a little compressed to me whereas in the BC it sounded almost just like a real cymbal.  The soundstage seemed to be presented a little lower and more forward to me.  I think that was due to the midrange being so pronounced.  

Lastly, the Mensa.  I agree with Andy's comments on this DAC.  I feel pretty much the same.  However, it was my least favorite and I'll add just a couple of comments....  It was the only one in the bunch I wouldn't buy.  However, this is because of my preferences and my system.   It did nothing wrong but it was too cold for me.  If your system is adding warmth, or other colorations to your system, this may be the perfect DAC.  

One thing I 're-learned' from this whole experience is that listening is everything.  I've read a million posts about what people think/heard/read/etc.  and it's just nothing compared to hearing it in the flesh.  I've done this type of thing in the past with interconnects, transports, etc... but, it's been a while.  It was really nice remembering what a difference a scientific approach and analysis makes when choosing gear.  It was refreshing that everyone was as objective as possible, they took it seriously and were honest in their remarks.   I felt very objective since this was my first time hearing any of this equipment.  Everything sounded extremely good and hearing these devices in your own system would still be the only way to determine which would be best for you.  Nonetheless, I hope readers have found my/our comments helpful.

Thanks,
Carl

audiojerry

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:19 pm »
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. As was mentioned,
4 dacs was too much to compare in one sitting, and I don't think any conclusions can be drawn except that everyone could easily hear distinct differences between the dacs.

This at least confirms the importance of listening for yourself and drawing your own conclusions.  It also shows what a great variety of choices we have and the endless combinations we can make in trying to achieve our own personal synergy. This is why it can take years of changing components in and out in a sometimes never ending search.

I'd really like to hear some comments from everyone on the Excelarray speakers. How about it guys?

PS: I have a Modwright Level II P-3A ready to take on all challengers. :wave:

PS2: I hope Nathan doesn't find out that you listened to Patricial Barber!

nathanm

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:03 pm »
Jerry, I have nothing against Patricia Barber.  If you wanna discuss it further why don't you reply to my Fight Club post ya big sissy!?  :P Them yokels are trading Motorhead stories in there fer cripes sakes. Help!

BikeWNC

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:17 pm »
I've added this comment to my review above.

I took a second look at the review I posted bleary-eyed late last night after over 400 miles of driving.  I would like to take a second to clarify my statements concerning the Bolder Cable Mensa DIO use in the shootout.   I was glad to finally get to hear what all the fuss has been about.   Unfortunately, Brad's system as it was configured for the shootout really screamed for warmth IMO.  The neutality of the Mensa DIO was exposed as a fault in his rig.  But it's not the dac's problem, it's a synergy thing.  In another system, I could see the Mensa DIO beating any of the other dacs tested.  I hope you could tell from my review that I especially liked the pinpoint focus and even balance of the Mensa.  

Andy

Hantra

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2003, 12:03 am »
Andy:

That's exactly how I felt.  That DAC was really sweet, but it wasn't as involving as the other DAC's on B's system.  I suppose that's where I, as a listener have to inject my own preferences.  I like warm, intimate sound.  You could even say I like a little color.  Heck, I am one of the only people I know who owns a TUNABLE speaker.  So take that into consideration.  I like to be the master of my system, and make it sound like what I want to hear.  

B