How to Use USB Storage

AllanS

How to Use USB Storage
« on: 28 Jun 2023, 10:52 am »
I’m considering a Lumin T3 streamer / DAC (or similar) upgrade while also considering local file playback and am confused about local file playback options.
 I have a modest but growing collection of local files that I’d like to include in playback options including DSD.  I understand a computer / ROON / NAS are options but for the sake of discussion do not want to consider these.
The T3 inputs include USB storage / flash drive / hard disk.  Can the T3 (or similar) simply play the files directly from the USB storage?  No special configuration or software etc?
Ripping or downloading CD/SACD to the USB storage and simply plugging that into the T3 seems like a pretty straight forward alternative to a separate network device.
Thanks much.

Early B.

Re: How to Use USB Storage
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2023, 08:43 pm »
Can the T3 (or similar) simply play the files directly from the USB storage?
Yes. This is exactly what I did when I had a Lumin U1. The Lumin automatically "sees" the files.   

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2023, 11:54 pm »
Yes - as previously noted they can play files from USB storage.  As noted in the online manual concerning USB storage (https://www.luminmusic.com/manual/usb-storage.html)  "This is mainly intended for easily playing music from friends, or in demonstration environments"  and  "Browsing of USB storage is limited to simple Folder Browsing where you can navigate through your folder structure on the drive. All folders are visible (even if they don't contain music) and artwork thumbnails for folders will be the first embedded artwork found directly in the folder."   For full functionality of the Lumin App they either recommend their own Library server (L1 now discontinued and L2 is current) or a PC or NAS running Minimserver (https://minimserver.com/).  Lumin's Library server's are not cheap.

I had a Lumin U1 and recently got the Lumin U2.  I use a Synology NAS running Minimserver.

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2023, 02:54 am »
Many thanks.  I appreciate your help.