Bryston and 'streaming products'...

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Bryston and 'streaming products'...
« on: 28 May 2013, 08:30 pm »
hi, James!

what is your opinion about streaming music via ethernet in the meantime? would you say that a Bryston product with 'streaming capabilities' will ever see daylight?

thanks,

al.

alexone

Re: Bryston and 'streaming products'...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2013, 08:07 pm »
James...?!?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2013, 08:19 pm »
James...?!?

Not sure what you mean Al - the BDP-1 or BDP-2 will stream if connected to an Ethernet cable - just not wirelessly (which I do not see us moving towards due to limited bandwidth at this point)

james

alexone

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2013, 08:31 pm »
ok, then i was missing something :duh:?! so is it possible to connect the BDP-1 via ethernet cable with a computer in order to listen to music??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2013, 08:37 pm »
ok, then i was missing something :duh:?! so is it possible to connect the BDP-1 via ethernet cable with a computer in order to listen to music??

al.

No - you have to connect it to a NAS or stream internet radio through your router.  A computer like the BDP is a HOST so they do not connect together (although Chris tells me you can do that through a special software program in MAC - something to do with sharing???)

james

alexone

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:23 pm »
sorry for all that confusion, James :icon_lol: i did not realize that the BDP could stream music when using the ethernet. i was never interested in a NAS or anything else as i only use the usb ins to listen to my music. when i remember correctly then the initial purpose of the BDP was to output a digital signal while receiving the 'music' via its usb inputs...?!
however, it's interesting that a wireless connection is still considered as a no-go for Bryston due to the limited bandwith. it shows once again that the Bryston company is not from the new fashion camp and that anything that could lower the performance has to stay somewhere else :thumb:

al.

mrhyfy

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2013, 09:15 pm »
Any audiophile who commits to Bryston equipment should be willing to commit to a wired network!!   imho

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2013, 08:44 am »
I would not do this myself, but it may be possible to use a wireless bridge to connect a BPD via ethernet.

sfraser

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2013, 01:32 pm »
My guess, is it is not so  much the lack of bandwidth with wifi networks that causes problems as is the uncontrolled environment. Every environment/house is a new case study, which could become a major PIA to debug. It will certainly work, if properly set up however.

Cheers,

Scott

JeffMO

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2013, 02:44 pm »
Not sure what you mean Al - the BDP-1 or BDP-2 will stream if connected to an Ethernet cable - just not wirelessly (which I do not see us moving towards due to limited bandwidth at this point)

james

I've been wirelessly (802.11g network) streaming lossless FLAC to a Squeezebox 3 and Touch for years with no problems including 24/96 material. Just recently acquired an OPPO BDP-105 which includes a wireless dongle and it works fine too, although I prefer the Touch for gapless playback.