My Dog Ate My Homework – RM30 Schematic/Capacitor Upgrade

GeorgeAb

After not opting for the Auri capacitor upgrade when I purchased my RM-30M's, always wondered what I was missing. After upgrading to Series II and having time on my hands decided to upgrade capacitors to Auri XO. To obtain values I needed to go in and disconnect midrange panels and tweeter (will fry tweeter ribbon if you don’t), and coils. For future reference decided to make up the RM-30 Series II schematic.  After spending a few hours on this project the dog (8 month old Briard, Chloe) ate my homework (literally).  Thought I would share for some comic relief. I will update the schematic and post later as I have time.

In case anyone wants to upgrade their mid-range capacitors, thought I would share my capacitance values and methodology.  The values were 29.6 and 30.6uF (for RM-30M) so 39.6 and 40.6uF for Series II. I have seen pictures in the forum of 29.82uF written on capacitor. You likely will be fine by using 30uF (RM-30M) and 40uf (for Series II), but I wanted to get within .1uF of original values.  With the Auri capacitors not being cheap and having a +/- 10% tolerance, I decided to go for lower values, then measure and reorder smaller values to get with .1uF.  For example if you go with a 30uF value may overshoot and get a 33uF value, and you can always add capacitance, but can’t go the other way.  I ordered 20uF, 5uf, 3uf, 1uf, and a bunch of cheap small Solen capacitor to test and calibrate more exact value, with the idea of after getting proper value then order more small value Auri and replace Solen capacitors. 

Ordered the Auri XO and found partsconnexion https://www.partsconnexion.com/auricap-xo-film-capacitors.html to have the largest selection and decent prices.   

Stimpy

Re: My Dog Ate My Homework – RM30 Schematic/Capacitor Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2020, 08:32 pm »
Both Parts Connexion and Sonic Craft offer parts matching, and will provide matched pairs.  Sonic Craft will test to tolerances tighter than stock as well.

Oh, nice job on the schematic.  But, it's a shame the dog did an even better job.  I look forward to V2.   :D

Keep us updated!
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2020, 09:41 pm by Stimpy »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2020, 08:41 pm »
Schematic and completed project. 

Stimpy

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2020, 10:40 pm »
So, how do they sound after the capacitor upgrade???  Which Mundorf?  A Supreme?

GeorgeAb

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2020, 09:56 pm »
So, how do they sound after the capacitor upgrade???  Which Mundorf?  A Supreme?

Stimpy,

Pardon for not noticing this.  Better late then never.  Yes, Mundorf Supreme.  Honestly, they sounded good with the standard Axon capacitors and sounded good with the Auri XO. I cannot say I heard a difference.

I recently went from standard capacitors (Audyn) in my external crossover of my RM-V60 to the external Behringer DCX2496 and there I did hear a difference. Unfortunately for the worse.  The soundstage decreased in depth and width and separate instruments that previously were locked in one position would move around in the sound stage depending on if they were high or low notes if that makes sense.  I forced myself to stay with it and after two days I got used to the new normal.  I was developing my parts list to do a DIY active crossover using the Marchand Electronics XM-44 circuit cards like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrrUhfV1bSU when a complete Marchand Electronics 4 channel XO came up on audiocircle https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171999.0. I jumped on it and should receive Tuesday. It was kismet. Have to order all the resistors and capacitors and build up the cards, but I expect this is going to be a really nice solution.