Sonic Euphoria

Roeland

Sonic Euphoria
« on: 13 Apr 2006, 08:12 pm »
Hey Everyone,

A question: would the Sonic Euphoria work with the 26db D-100's? Am thinking of buying one ;) Specs of the Euphoria van be found on: http://www.soniceuphoria.com/Specifications.htm

Thanx!

Roeland

Charles Calkins

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2006, 09:15 pm »
If it's a passive preamp you will need a 32db gain on the amps. 26db gain is for use with an active preamp. Dusty himself told me this when I ordered the D-200 amps.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

WEEZ

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2006, 10:00 pm »
Charles is probably correct- with a couple of possible exceptions:

1) if your speakers are relatively sensitive; and/or;
2) your room is not overly huge;

..you may be fine with the 26db of gain.

Maybe you could try a passive in your system before you purchase.

good luck,

WEEZ

Gordy

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2006, 10:59 pm »
I've used the Django and Bent NOH tranny pre's with 85dB speakers in an effectively 16x20 room and didn't have a problem with listening at 80-90 DB levels, but they were fairly close to pegged!  This was with 26dB of gain on the amps and the 1:1 setting on the pre's... so I still had the option of 6 more dB's of gain in the pre's... don't know if the Sonic Euphoria has a gain switch.  

HTH!

CErvin

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2006, 11:04 pm »
I am currently using the PLC with CI Audio D200's -- the 26db versions.  Speakers are 88-89db and source is 2.2V output.  PLC's volume control is in the 11 to 1 o'clock position resulting in an 85db sound pressure in my 1200 cu ft room.  I hope this helps.

Charles Calkins

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2006, 11:17 pm »
CErvin:

I have an AVA T7ECR active preamp driving D-200 Amps. If I were to put the volume up to 11oclock the db's in my 15X25X8 room would probably exceed 130 or so db's. I mean LOUD!!!

Cheers
                                        Charlie

samplesj

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2006, 11:41 pm »
I'm happily running S&B TX-102s (from Bent) with them wired for 0 gain I've had no problems with my non-Dusty tweaked UcD400s (stock is 26db [20x]).

I've never had it more than 3/4 up even with my fairly inefficent Maggies.

Its not as simple as to say this version for passives and this one for actives.  Your source voltage also matters.

denjo

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2006, 12:17 am »
I had the same quandary - 26 or 32 dB! My preamp is a Bent NOH (silver trannies without 6 dB boost) and McCormack ALD-1 Rev A Gold(active/passive pre). I tried my Bent on both the 26 and 32 dB and found that in my listening room both were fine, albeit I was cranking the volume 3/4 way with the D*200 LGX hooked to the Bent NOH. I also agree with views expressed that the nature of the source (how many volts) is also an important consideration. With my universal player (CD, DVD, SACD), I found that I had to crank the volume all the way with the LGX and was wondering what I would do with recordings that were softer! I think you will also need to ask yourslef what your future needs are: the LGX gives you greater flexibility in allowing use with all active preamps and most passives. That was the route I chose!

CIAudio

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2006, 01:20 am »
When using a passive with a standard source output (2vRMS), you usually need the 32dB version if you wish to drive the amp to full power output.
With efficient loudspeakers, you don't always need all the power to reach your desired listening level.
The exception can be transformer-based passives, some of which have voltage gain and do not need extra gain in the amplifier.

I'm not that familiar with the Sonic Euphoria, so you'll have to check into that. Our new full function remote passive will have a very similar name...PLC•1 (Passive Line Controller)  :D

Grover

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2006, 04:19 am »
Dusty -

I know you may not want to release too much information right now in the prototype stages, but can you say how many inputs the PLC-1 will have?
Is remote control an option, or will it be standard?  OK, and while I'm at it - any price range estimate?

CIAudio

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2006, 05:21 am »
I know you may not want to release too much information right now in the prototype stages, but can you say how many inputs the PLC-1 will have?
Is remote control an option, or will it be standard? OK, and while I'm at it - any price range estimate?

4 inputs (one of which can be configured as HT bypass), plus 1 tape loop, 2 pair of outputs.

Remote control will be standard and can control all functions, as well as having front panel controls. We're shooting for a price of $795. There will also be a couple of other cool functions, but can't get into that right now  :wink:

Mondie

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2006, 12:04 pm »
l hope this doesnt take the thread too far off course but while we are discussing TVC's has anybody had the opportunity to compare the Sonic Euphoria vs Bent NOH? l would be curious on whether either has an edge over the other.

Cheers Simon

samplesj

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2006, 04:40 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
When using a passive with a standard source output (2vRMS), you usually need the 32dB version if you wish to drive the amp to full power output.

That doesn't match what I've calculated before, could you please elaborate.  Obviously we'll have a few losses that I'm not accounting for, but 375 vs 400 isn't that big a difference.

So, UcD modules are nominally rated at 400watts into 4ohm.  I know you feel stock modules won't give that, but that just makes our input voltage calculation more conserative.

V = sqrt(W X O)

400watts X 4ohms = 1600

sqrt of 1600 is 40

26dB voltage gain is 20x

40/20 = 2v

Therefore the minimum voltage for full drive of the UcD 400 modules is 2.0v

What is wrong there that says a normal 2.0v source shouldn't be find with the stock 26dB gain?

CIAudio

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2006, 04:50 pm »
In theory you are correct, but you're not accounting for the record level of the CD, etc.

samplesj

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2006, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
In theory you are correct, but you're not accounting for the record level of the CD, etc.

I'm guessing you mean the moment to moment volume level on the cd (dynamic range).  That depends on what you are striving for.  If you want what they recorded as accurately as possible then no it shouldn't be accounted for.  Isn't that really sort of like dynamic range compression of the recording?  Its bad enough when the studio does it to us unnecessarily.

If you just want all of the volume you can get then yes you would need more gain when the cd wasn't outputing full volume.  But if I add gain so that I use all of my amp power when the cd says its half full volume then what will happen when it sends a full volume signal?  Now we're asking for power the amp doesn't really have so its going to clip and/or cut out (20a current limiting).  To me that is a dangerous game to play, but thats mainly because my ribbons aren't fused.

CIAudio

Sonic Euphoria
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2006, 06:11 pm »
The 2vRMS is full scale output (0dB) on the recording, many recordings never hit this level. It just makes sense to have extra gain in the amplifier if you don't have any in the preamp. Some older sources (tuners, tape decks) have 1v output...so you have to take it case by case.