VDA•2 Sneak Preview

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« on: 15 Nov 2005, 08:00 pm »
Photos of the new CIAudio VDA•2  24/192 DAC to be released in early December. (shown with optional VAC•1 Upgrade Supply)
We will post more info and specifications on our website next week.

DTB300

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2005, 09:15 pm »
Dusty....

From the obvious two ouputs, what are the differences between the VDA-1 and the VDA-2 that you can share at this time?  

As a current owner of the VDA-1, I would be wondering if an upgrade to a 2 would be worth it?

Dan

studley

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2005, 09:23 pm »
I have seen the future of rock n roll and its name is . . . . computer audio.

Any plans to make a USB DAC?

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2005, 10:36 pm »
From the obvious two ouputs, what are the differences between the VDA-1 and the VDA-2 that you can share at this time?

VDA•2 is a higher-end converter using a mild "slow roll-off" digital filter, and no analog filtering. Unlike NOS types, this reduces the sampling noise to inaudible levels without the harmful effects of brick-wall type filtering found in conventional oversampling DAC's.

The differential current outputs use a unique single transistor design for I/V conversion and voltage gain (no op amps) to insure the purest signal quality.

The output configuration allows for maximum versatility by having all four outputs on individual RCA jacks, and can be used as two sets of single-ended outputs, or a single pair of true balanced with our optional VRX•1 cables (prototypes shown below).

kfr01

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2005, 02:37 am »
Quote from: studley
I have seen the future of rock n roll and its name is . . . . computer audio.

Any plans to make a USB DAC?

Agree.  A usb input to this thing would be killer.

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2005, 02:58 am »
I know that a USB input would be nice but there's really no good way of doing it at a reasonable cost. The majority of products with USB use the PCM2902 which doesn't have very good performance. Even using it as only a USB to SPDIF converter is a waste because it's only capable of 44.1/48k and is still being converted to SPDIF, and then the clock signals extracted by the input receiver.

For computer based systems, a soundcard with an SPDIF output fed to a high quality DAC is still the best route. This way, you can upsample and all that other stuff you computer guys like to do and still decode it at full resolution :D

kfr01

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2005, 03:10 am »
Gotcha - thank you for the explanation!

duff138

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2005, 03:41 am »
what's the price for the new version?

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2005, 04:35 am »
what's the price for the new version?

VDA•2 will be $599, VRX•1 balanced cables will be $150 for a 1m pair, and custom lengths available for $25 per additional meter.

Psychicanimal

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2005, 05:21 am »
Why why why? :roll:

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2005, 05:38 am »
Why why why?

I bet it would sound really good on yur voodoo mocha wood  :lol:

clarke68

• http://www.robinsononline.com/clarke
VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2005, 07:28 pm »
Very cool, Dusty...the differential current outputs seem to be a stroke of genius! Has anyone ever done that before, or is that a CIAudio original?

Really looking forward to giving this unit a listen! Keep up the great work.

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2005, 02:18 am »
Using a differential current output DAC is nothing new, it just gives us more flexibility with the analog stage. The majority of today's DAC IC's have a voltage output (built-in op amps).

The idea of putting both non-inverting & inverting outputs on RCA jacks to enable single-ended or balanced connection was Greg Schugs idea.

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
Why the input switch?
« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2005, 03:51 pm »
Why is there an input switch? On the VDA•1, the input source was automatically selected from whichever input was active, with one of them (I don't remember which) taking priority if both were active. How is input selection done with the VDA•2?

dhiebert

Clock
« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2005, 09:59 pm »
What kind of clock does the VDA•2 use? Does it derive the clock from the input signal or generate its own?

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:45 pm »
Why is there an input switch? On the VDA•1, the input source was automatically selected from whichever input was active, with one of them (I don't remember which) taking priority if both were active. How is input selection done with the VDA•2?

We added the input switch on VDA•2 simply because customers asked for it. Performance is also slightly better when signal is present at both inputs.

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:47 pm »
What kind of clock does the VDA•2 use? Does it derive the clock from the input signal or generate its own?

VDA•2 uses the CS8416 24/192 low jitter input receiver and extracts the clock from the input signal.

dhiebert

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2005, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
Performance is also slightly better when signal is present at both inputs.

Did you mean the same input signal on both inputs? Assuming yes, could you explain this, please? Otherwise ??

CIAudio

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2005, 09:14 pm »
Did you mean the same input signal on both inputs? Assuming yes, could you explain this, please? Otherwise ??

On VDA-1, when there is signal at both inputs...one device playing into the coaxial input, and another into the Toslink input, it chooses the one with the highest amplitude (coaxial). This way works well and adds a convenence feature, but does not have quite as good of rejection to the other signal as using an actual switch.

dhiebert

VDA•2 Sneak Preview
« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2005, 09:21 pm »
Ahhh, I get it now. Thanks.