LPS for Phono2

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
LPS for Phono2
« on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:23 pm »
  Has anyone tried an LPS in lieu of wall wart ? Boris maybe an upgrade to wall wart from you. Meaning a LPS. Just saying.

charles

WC

Re: LPS for Phono2
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2019, 07:47 pm »
Be aware that the Phono 2 takes a 12 V AC input. Not sure that a LPS will work. You are essentially taking 120V or 240V AC and reducing to 12V AC. That is generally done with a transformer.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2019, 08:04 pm »
Be aware that the Phono 2 takes a 12 V AC input. Not sure that a LPS will work. You are essentially taking 120V or 240V AC and reducing to 12V AC. That is generally done with a transformer.

Thank you, aware of that.

charles

Audiovista

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2019, 09:15 pm »
Hey Charles,

Good to hear from you!

External LPS, as in Linear Power Supply, will not work: voltage rectification, filtration and stabilization is performed inside the preamp chassis. Phono-2 has more robust filtration than Phono-1. The wall wart transformer (as WC correctly emphasized) is oversized 8x for the 120V model and 16x for the 230V model, and I believe that larger ones will not offer any sound improvements.

Boris

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2019, 07:21 pm »
Hey Charles,

Good to hear from you!

External LPS, as in Linear Power Supply, will not work: voltage rectification, filtration and stabilization is performed inside the preamp chassis. Phono-2 has more robust filtration than Phono-1. The wall wart transformer (as WC correctly emphasized) is oversized 8x for the 120V model and 16x for the 230V model, and I believe that larger ones will not offer any sound improvements.

Boris

Thank you. All I needed to know. Hey Boris hope all is good. Next time in NY give me a call.

charles