SOLD: Fully Restored Vintage AR2ax 3-way Loudspeakers

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
SOLD!
======

Fully Restored Vintage AR2ax 3-way Loudspeakers

Early 1970's Acoustic Research AR2ax 3-way loudspeakers.  Among the best of the "New England" sound from that generation.  Made in Cambridge MA.  Designed by the historical duo of Edgar Villchur and Henry Kloss.  Villchur is credited with the invention of the sealed acoustic suspension speaker design.

I have done a complete restoration of these classic speakers.  My asking price just about covers my expenses in restoring them.  Truly a labor of love. 

Here's is the run down:

• Replace the crossover capacitors with ClarityCaps maintaining original crossover points.
  • Replace attenuators (level controls) with new ones and added nice knobs with indicators.
  • Replaced glass wool with lamb's wool damping material.
  • Re-foamed the woofer surrounds.
  • Replaced original tweeters with improved model spec'd to match original performance.
  • New grill material with original look.
  • Original grills were glued in at factory.  They now attach with hidden velcro and are removable.
  • Refinished walnut veneer with oil finish as original.  The pictures don't do the finish justice.  Silky smooth and beautiful grain.
  • Repainted black front panel (under grill).
  • Custom made adapters to allow speaker cables with banana plugs and secure connection to speaker (fixes a notorious problem).

I believe these to be as good as any living example of this classic loudspeaker and better than most.  Read those listings carefully and I think you will find they don't compare in condition and functional restoration.  I rate the condition excellent.  The only flaw is a minor scratch on the bottom of one speaker; unseen when placed.  The warranty cards and instruction cards are even intact!  I have them under plastic to protect them going forward.

The sound rivals good speakers of today.  Bass is very strong and highs are crisp but smooth.  The attenuators allow for adjustment of the midrange and tweeter levels to compensate for room acoustics and tailor to your taste.  AR specs of 8 ohm and they recommend a minimum of 25 watts. 

I also have some other pdfs of some AR history, brochure, photos, etc., that I will include.  Also included are custom cable adapters with ring connectors for secure connection at the speaker end, and banana jacks on the other (see photo).  This will accommodate standard cables with banana plugs. 

For sale separately at $100, 17' speaker cables. Cable with ring connectors on one end and really nice locking banana plugs on the other.  They are made with good quality Belden 5000UP wire.  Now included with sale at asking price - really nice package deal.

I spent another ~ $50 to make storage/shipping boxes with double walls and foam inserts (see photo).

Selling price is $750.  This includes paypal fee.  Included in the sale are the pair of restored AR2ax speakers, custom ring to banana adapters, custom quality speaker cables with rings for the speaker side and locking bananas for the amp side, and custom shipping boxes.

Shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states is $100 (actual cost is in the neighborhood of $265 and I will cover the difference).  Contact me about shipping to other locations.  There are two boxes, each are 18.5" x 18.5" x 29" and 45lbs.  Also listed on eBay. 

If you are wondering why, we are beginning transition to semi-retirement living and I am reluctantly downsizing and simplifying.

Thanks for looking!    .........Peter

Before and After..........

More........

« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 06:47 pm by pstrisik »

pstrisik

Re: FS: Fully Restored Vintage AR2ax 3-way Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2018, 03:16 pm »
I also made stands for these.  I would sell those for $100, but shipping is likely prohibitive as they are very heavy.  I could remove the sand in the columns, but still heavy as I used red oak and steel pipes and fittings.  I only include these in case someone really wants them and is willing pay for shipping.

Of course, local pickup is available if you happen to be in or come to Alaska!   :P

pstrisik

pstrisik