The final group buy of caps has shipped out now.

tubesforever

The final group buy of caps has shipped out now.
« on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:07 am »
If you were expecting caps and have not heard from me please email me right away.  I did order a few extra's because I didn't want to start up another group buy right in the middle of the holidays.

I have a few extra FT-3 caps in 0.10uf 600v and 0.22uf 600v.  I also have a few FT-1 caps in 0.022uf 200v and I bought some intriguing K40Y9 PIO 0.01uf 630v and 0.01uf 1000v caps.  I might try these on my Piccolo or my CDP multi format device.

I have also ordered enough caps to supply 15 more RIAA in PIO sets for the Cornet or Cornet 2 phono stages.  I don't have the 0.001uf caps yet but they are on their way.   

I have been getting more and more feedback about the teflon caps from folks with Hagerman and other equipment.  It has been completely favorable so far.

Here is another place to try these silly cheap teflon caps.  My speakers have extremely detailed upper mids and highs.  This weekend I soldered in some FT-3 0.10uf 600v caps bypassing the caps I was running for the 3" titanium midtweeter and the Foster ribbon tweeter. 

So far I am very happy.  Nearly every trace of white noise splash is now gone.  I am hearing transients without glare.  I can turn up the volume higher without my ears beginning to beg me to turn it down.  I need to get back to some of my choral pieces because when you have 50 singers at top volume sometimes the sibilance can diminish the overall gestault of the music.  I sense that the sibilance will be better managed. 

It is interesting how a resistor or a cap can alter such as thing as sibilance.  However my Cornet 2 was quite a bit less sibilant than the Pass Xono, the Manley Steelhead, and the Thor (which has a very decent phono stage).  Now my speakers seem to be less sibilant as well!  That is excellent.

Tomorrow I will get out my Simple Dreams album (Linda Ronstadt).  Blue Bayou is one of my torture tests for speakers and electronics.  I am going to try playing this really loud and see what becomes of Linda's voice. 

I wish I had soldered the FT-3 caps into my speaker crossovers a half year ago when I first read Bob M's comments.  It is not a simple affair for my speakers.  This is something I need to rectify when I build my own custom speaker cabinets in the future. 

It sometimes takes me a bit of time to get to all the projects I have slated to get to.  Here is to getting to your projects! 

Happy Holidays.