A/Vs on a porch

cody69

Re: A/Vs on a porch
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:09 am »
You might also consider the X-LS or X-LS Encore kits listed here in my circle on AC.

This is an attractive suggestion... I was automatically gravitating towards the AV-1s since I have a pair in my shop.

Are any adjustments needed to the X-LS enclosure size for a sealed (non-ported) configuration?

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:28 am »
This is an attractive suggestion... I was automatically gravitating towards the AV-1s since I have a pair in my shop.

Are any adjustments needed to the X-LS enclosure size for a sealed (non-ported) configuration?

The X-LS need about .5 cubic foot sealed or just over 1 cubic foot ported (X-SLS version). So the standard .5 cubic foot box with no port is ideal. Bass response for it sealed will be much lower than an A/V-1.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm »
Regardless of the outdoor speaker you choose don't mount them high. Try and get them as close to ear level as possible.

The outdoor speakers I've listened to inside don't sound nearly as good as they do outside. My Algonquins don't cut it inside but I love them outside. Speakers playing in free air without room coloration can be quite intoxicating.

I've porch tested all my speakers and like what I hear except for the OB's. With my OB's I suppose they need a room for their box.

freerider

« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2011, 08:20 pm »
Having heard the 805's I wouldn't classify them as "good" either. To me they might be similarly bad.

:lol: Alternative perspective!

I had a chance to demo the Axiom M60's in my living room, and do side by side comparisons with my Polk RTi12's.  IMO, my Polk's had better build quality.  Axiom veneer looked like plastic, and they weren't very heavy (47lbs per speaker vs 88lbs for Polk).  Axiom owner and I thought their sound was basically equivalent, with my Polks being brighter for some tracks, and the Axioms having a warmer tone on other tracks. 

Now my room is untreated, and my equipment is all low cost (Emotiva amps, HK receiver), so this info is really only important to me.  But I knew after that demo that I would never be buying Axioms.  Plus, the Polks were 2/3rds the price (on sale).

It was after this demo that I started researching AV123, which lead to MFW-15's, then LS6s, and finally to GR Research. 

Polks soon to be replaced with LS6!!

cody69

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm »
The X-LS need about .5 cubic foot sealed or just over 1 cubic foot ported (X-SLS version). So the standard .5 cubic foot box with no port is ideal.

As long as I maintain .5 cubic foot, can I adjust the dimensions of the enclosure without impacting sound quality to a significant degree? For this application, I'd prefer an 8" cabinet depth -- vs 12" depth of the plans. I'd lengthen the length of the front baffle to make up the difference. Note these will be the sealed design (not ported).

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:44 pm »
The deeper they are the deeper they sound. You never want the shape to be square, and rule of thumb is that the width needs to be only 2/3rds to 1/2 of the depth.

So if it were me, I'd keep them deep.

Doublej

« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm »
Would a coaxial driver sound better than a traditional woofer plus tweeter arrangement in a high mounting position?

cody69

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:07 am »
Thought I'd post an update on this thread. Following the advise from Danny and a few others, I built a pair of X-LS speaker to use in my outdoor gazebo in the early Spring (March). I waited a full season to post back how they performed, so I could let others know how they held up in the outdoor environment.

First a bit about the speakers. The speakers are located up under the roof of the gazebo where they are well protected from direct moisture. Since they will be exposed to ambient humidity (I'm in NJ) I built the cabinets sealed (non-ported) to keep the internals dry. I painted the MDF cabinets with several layers of hammered finish (slightly textured) paint that dries to an indestructible finish that holds up well to the elements.

The X-LS cabinets have internal bracing, which combined with heavy duty floor tiles and thick foam, are really solid. I found cutting the tile to fit around the bracing to be tedious, next time I'll save time and use No-Rez for damping. Before I took the speakers outside, unplugged the A/V-1s in the shop and played the X-LS to break them in. I'm not sure if it was the extra damping I added to the X-LS cabinets, or the larger woofer, but I thought these sounded better than my A/V-1s.

I ran some conduit under the deck and inside the gazebo, then since the distance was rather long, pulled some large (10AWG) Belden cable.

I absolutely love the sound from these speakers. Inside the gazebo, even when playing at low levels, sound amazing -- light years above the outdoor speakers I listened to previously, that cost several times more than the X-LS. They also do a nice job of projecting sound outside the gazebo on the deck and a nearby patio.

They were outside from mid-March to the day before Hurricane Sandy hit us. My plan all along was to bring them in for the winter, and it seemed like a good idea to not take any risks with this hurricane. In terms of how they held up after a year I can say they look perfect. No signs of any adverse effects from being outside.

Overall, I have to say I am really pleased with these.

BTW, I have them paired with an amp fed from an Apple Express connected via toslink to a DAC. It sounds great and the convenience is ideal. I can sit in the gazebo and use my iPad/iPhone to either stream pandora or use Apple remote to control a mac mini inside the house that has all my albums. It's very handy and works flawlessly.

I don't have a picture of the speakers in the gazebo, guess I've been too busy enjoying them -- they're mounted to the header supporting the rafters and are angled slightly down to the listening area.