DS-21 with egg

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: DS-21 with egg
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:18 am »
Hmmm...  Maybe DS-21 should give these speakers a try and see what he hears.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87808.0

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:00 am »
DS-21, thank you very much for the time it took to write your thorough reply.  I agree on some points, disagree with other points, but in any case have a very clear understanding of where you're coming from now.  I know when I first read some of your comments months ago, something bent me a bit the wrong way.  I'm glad I took the time to ask your thoughts and try to understand your perspective instead of keep my head stuck in the sand.

Best of luck with your project, and if you haven't, you may be interested in following along with HAL's full (wide) range, digital crossover/driver correction open baffle project.  I know now that open baffle isn't your thing, but I think based on some of your other comments, the digital crossover work HAL is putting in might be something that could help or be applied to your future projects.

Cheers!

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:21 am »
OMG Trung, thats the funniest video I've seen in a long time......the comments and replies made me pee a little.....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:22 am »
Jon,
There is no plan to sell the digital crossover for DIY applications.  It will be dedicated to the speaker that it was programmed for the specific correction. 

No user software tools are being made available to do the measurements, software design or DSP programming.

TrungT

« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:31 am »
If you enjoy the first video, you may like the next mods:
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS WITH OPEN BAFFLE SPEAKERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyazIVUfLo&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsGJrRF_mto&feature=youtube_gdata

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:39 am »
He comes across like a heavy smoking electrician who just ate at Denny's and is filming this inside his work van, rather than an MIT engineer   :lol:

Anyway, DS-21, please flesh out your arguments.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:52 am »

Anyway, DS-21, please flesh out your arguments.
Ahhh, no, please don't.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:17 am »
I learned a lot from the speaker caulking video.

1.  Caulk will make "cheap-ass" speakers sound "really, really good"

2.  Caulk will improve the sound of the speakers "up to 100%"

3.  Argh matey, keep your eye on the "blowhole"

All in all, a pretty good day.

Steve

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:27 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Hi hope that are not too many guys like him !
I would let him touch or even come close to my speakers.
Don't give that guy a tube of silicone sealant when he's near your refrigerator
or he will seal tight the door, claiming it has some leaks. (LOL)
It's 2.30pm here and I am sure I will laugh until bed time,
I might even dream of that guy.
May I suggest that you move that post to the Joke circle.

Guy 13

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:30 am »
Ahhh, no, please don't.

might as well have it out.

And no, I think the guy in the video says something like "better than 100% of all high end, because all the air gets out the blowhole.."  :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2012, 09:43 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Who cares about improving an all plastic speaker any way?
Would you put that white baby powder stuff all over your tweeter,
regardless of the price/quality of it.
His language is not the language of an engineer or maybe it is,
a chemical engineer. (Chemical=power/angel dust...) (LOL)
The one of the best You Tube video I have seen.
Please keep them coming.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2012, 09:45 am »
Hi DS-21 and all Audio Circle members.
How about sending us some pictures of your actual sound system.
They say: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:34 am »
Despite the unfortunate delivery, I think that DS-21's remark about designing speakers for the room (rather than the other way around) bears repeating. is it any wonder that high-end audio is increasingly marginalized and ridiculed when the "basic requirements"' involve modifying your house?

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #33 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:27 pm »
Well John, its a hobby that many are passionate enough that they do just that, many have dedicated rooms for the purpose.....not as crazy as it sounds if you think that a lot of people dont just modify a room in their house but where they live for a passionate hobby.

Some move close to a golf club, some live near to lakes to water ski or fish.
Close to mountains to down hill....
Know any one with a over size garage for their motor home?
Some live close to airports to fly.....some live down town for the night life.
I live in the country and built a barn for my horses....the list goes on and on.

If your really into something, and it takes a big part of your life like audio does for us, is
having a dedicated room.....how ever its arranged, really that big a stretch?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:33 pm »
The easiest way to take care of WAF in my case was when we built our house 18 years ago, I built a dedicated audio room.  It was easy to do when you are starting from scratch.  Lots of good books on the subject.

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm »
I think you guys just proved the point...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:21 pm »
No modifications were needed.  The house was built from scratch around the listening room.  That solved any issues caused by an audio system install. 

I listened to speakers that were designed to integrate with the room.  One being Klipsch K-Horns.  None were my cup of tea. 

Here is a standard living room with sound treatment.  No room modifications needed.  Just sound absorbtion and diffusion.  I helped with some of the installation. :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;image=59400

JohnR

« Reply #37 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:57 pm »
No modifications were needed.  The house was built from scratch around the listening room.

Listen to yourself. Please.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #38 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:30 pm »
It is unfortunate (but probably inevitable) that some would turn Toole and/or controlled directivity into the new audio religion.  Audio is always about engineering trade-offs.  On a given day, in a given room, in a given system, with whatever music, systems of all types can sing sweetly, whether OB, horn, wideband, planar.  And whether CD or not.  We all know this because we've all experienced it first-hand, assuming we opened our ears and minds.

Toole is researching the general case -- what do people say they like, under test conditions?  Then he averages their responses.  While totally fascinating as research, it doesn't dictate how we as individuals build our systems.  There are a lot of terrible-sounding CD speakers out there (and a few good ones) but we probably don't agree on which ones.  And there are many which can sound sweet which were engineered with other design goals, with CD as an afterthought.  That's just trading off as always.

To wave one's hand and dismiss all but a few speakers (or design approaches) as "incompetent" in deliberately provocative language has nothing to do with actual engineering.  It's just people "listening to the Internet" instead of spending that time measuring, tweaking, listening and exchanging first-hand information.

And there's probably no need to say, but if you go back to Toole, the supposed leader of this revolution, you will find he is humble and very measured in his conclusions.  And he is not against room treatment.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:56 pm »
The VMPS RM50 speakers are a CD design.  They still needed room treatment to sound their best in his room. 

As long as you enjoy what you have that is fine.  It would not work for everyone. That is the fun of the hobby.