Rachmaninov - Piano Concertos

Jonathan G.

Re: Rachmaninov - Piano Concertos
« Reply #20 on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:23 pm »
I'd like to throw in a mention of a rarity: Horowitz/Baribolli/NYP, an air check from 1943 (IIRC).  It's available from Appian Recordings, a UK historical label, here:

http://www.aprrecordings.co.uk/apr2/showentry.php?id=23

Sound quality is nonexistent. The performance borders on impossible, and I'm not sure which on which side.

Soundminded

« Reply #21 on: 30 Oct 2011, 02:34 am »
The Van Cliburn recording of the 2nd with Reiner conducting the Chicago SO is one of my all time favorite recordings. I've probably got a dozen versions includng Richter, Wilde, and a number of others but that's my favorite. I've got Van Cliburn playing the 3rd also with Kondrashin but I also like Ashkanazy and Argerich recordings very much. One and Four well I've only got Wilde playing those along with the Rhapsody. I've come to see Wilde as a great but under appreciated artist. His arrangements of some Rachmaninoff makes me want to buy the music and try it for myself. I'm thinking of taking a stab a the Vocalese. I'll probably fall flat on my face trying it but for $18 why not? Wilde plays on a Baldwin SD-10. It has a different sound from the Steinway D. I like it and it's a great piano but to my ears, I can see why most artists prefer Steinways.

Andre2

« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:59 pm »
Sergei R. fest in Houston !

Kirill Gerstein will perform all four Rachmaninoff piano concertos over 3 consecutive weekends coming January!!!

:thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D  8)

drjjpdc

« Reply #23 on: 6 Dec 2011, 12:58 am »
Yes I have to put in my vote for the Hough/Litton set of concertos, plus you get a great version of the Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini. One of my current favorites and the Hyperion sound is very good.

Andre2

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm »
Getting ready to go and listen to Rach Piano Concerto #3 tonight at Jones Hall in Houston.  :thumb:  :thumb:  :D  :D

http://www.houstonsymphony.org/rachfest/

Ericus Rex

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2012, 03:12 am »
That's impressive!  All 4 Rach piano concertos in two weeks by the same soloist.  He must have big 'nads.

jose

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2012, 04:24 am »
OK I'm about to (once again) impose my taste and preferences upon the general populace here.  Some of you may like your Rach ultra romantic and syrupy (ala Ashkenazy), or even ultra virtuoistic (ala Wild), but I would recommend a more ascetic approach, specifically the Hough/Litton set, which is drier and more flinty than normal, fleeter and less emotive.  In the ultra-romantic music on display here, it offers a nice tonic, a yin to the yang, which balances very nicely.  Recording is done live and is very good as well.  Not as rich as some others (Richter, Ashkeanzy, Wild, Rudy), but fitting in with the overall interpretation quite nicely.

Ashkenazy, Hough, and Wild are classics, but for a more contemporary approach, spectacular in terms of performance and recording quality, I recommend Dejan Lazic on the Channel Classics Label.

rbbert

« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2012, 06:48 pm »
Ashkenazy, Hough, and Wild are classics, but for a more contemporary approach, spectacular in terms of performance and recording quality, I recommend Dejan Lazic on the Channel Classics Label.

Looking at their catalog I see only Conc #2.  Are there others?

Turk

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2012, 07:41 pm »
Tyson,

Did you not like the Janus recordings?  I thought the 3rd was outstanding.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2012, 08:25 pm »
Oh yes, the Byron Janis performances of the 2nd and 3rd are both great.  I've never seen a recording of the 1st or 4th from him though, so he was outside my original scope (ie, full sets).  But he's one of the first I'd recommend to get to supplement any of the full sets mentioned here already. 

Turk

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:23 pm »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:55 pm »
Yep, I have that exact recording on SACD.  Decided to listen to it right now :)  I like Janis better than Horowitz. 

Of course, any discussion of the Rach's much include the composer's own recordings - poor sound, but phenomenal playing. 

jose

« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2012, 05:38 am »
Tyson,

Did you not like the Janus recordings?  I thought the 3rd was outstanding.

As far as I know, Mr. Lazic has only recorded second concerto. His color palette is incredible. The German magazine Stereoplay has chosen several of his recordings as (on the Channel Classics label) as "audiophile CD of the month."

He is also a talented composer: he recently shook the world of classical music a bit with his arrangement (not transcription) for piano of the Brahms violin concerto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10TDAOuLmnY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL8542113AB219F5C2

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2012, 07:43 pm by jose »

MTVhike

« Reply #33 on: 16 Oct 2020, 08:10 pm »
I very much like the 3rd with Van Cliburn / Kondrashin live from Carnegie Hall in 1958 reissued on RCA Living Stereo CD/SACD. Some may feel it is somewhat unusual performance regarding dynamics of both the pianist and orchestra, but to me it is very inspiring and exciting. Sound is fantastic, for me and for now this is the earliest top quality recording. Unbelievable, like it was recorded last night. No other RCA or Mercury I heard sounds that good. It is kind of frustrating that this level of sound quality is technically possible for 50 years now, but rarely actually available on discs.
I heard Van Cliburn play this live in Chicago, shortly after he won the Tchaikovsky competition.

Archguy

« Reply #34 on: 16 Oct 2020, 08:23 pm »
Wow, necro thread!  For my part I'm no fan of Sergei's own playing.  I'm too influenced by modern interpreters, most likely.  And probably the dreadful SQ plays a part in it too.

[Feel the same way about Stravinsky's conducting of his own pieces, and probably for much the same reasons.  Seems too chaotic for me.]

For that matter, I seldom listen to #2 for the simple fact that I've heard it way too often.
Still enjoy #3 though.  Ashkenazy/Haitink remains a favorite.

Yep, I have that exact recording on SACD.  Decided to listen to it right now :)  I like Janis better than Horowitz. 

Of course, any discussion of the Rach's much include the composer's own recordings - poor sound, but phenomenal playing. 

MTVhike

« Reply #35 on: 24 Oct 2020, 07:54 pm »
I heard the Hough performance on the radio awhile ago, and decided to get the set. It supposedly was available as an SACD, but I couldn't find it so I purchased the regular CD. I've listened to it all before, but I'm listening to the 3rd right now, and I like it, although it seems awfully fast. A few months ago, I stumbled into a YouTube of Yuja Wang's performance, and it's even faster! I'm not sure if I like it better, though. I also have Horowitz's 1978 performance, Rachmaninoff's 1939/40 recording, Van Cliburn's 1958 performance. I'd like to get Earl Wild's #3 (I have #1 and #4).

Freo-1

« Reply #36 on: 25 Oct 2020, 02:58 am »
Check out Anna Fedorova Dutch video recordings on You Tube.  Both Piano Concertos (2 and 3) are well done, and the performances are excellent as well.