HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

Yep.  This is going to be a crazy day!  Will see you at Danny's

HAL

The open baffle line array project for GR-Research listening session is going very well indeed.

HAL

Day one testing and listening done with Danny's passive crossover.

Tomorrow will get the dspMusik connected for digital crossover trials.

It was good to see S Clark at Danny's for the day.  Lots of fun!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Wow, what a day.  I've heard some pretty amazing stuff at the various RMAFs that I've gone to, but nothing like what I heard at Danny's yesterday.  I'll wait to be specific until I know when and what Danny, Rich, and Gary want to release for public consumption, but it's simple to say that this was THE best audio experience I've ever heard.   :o
I know that that kind of hyperbole gets bandied about too often, but this system just truly was absolutely amazing.  Throughout the day, I kept listening for passages where my LS9's would have kept up.  I think there were a couple of times when I thought my system was about as good on a particular passage.  Just for a minute. Maybe not that long.
Most of all, it was also wonderful to see Gary up and active. 

HAL

The audio equipment for today's dspMusik crossover trials with the new open baffle planar line arrays.

HAL

I am one happy camper after today's crossover design and listening session at GR-Research!  :D

Now time to pack up and get ready to head home tomorrow.   :cry:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

You're "retired"!   ;) :P

S Clark

I am one happy camper after today's crossover design and listening session at GR-Research!  :D

I take it that the dsp-Music worked well, and was able to recreate the magic that was in the room yesterday (except that mystery motorboat noise that came and went at its own caprice).  My experience is that each change usually has its steps forwards, and its steps backwards.  What were the positives that you heard?

Phil A

You're "retired"!   ;) :P

Let's not pick on us poor old retired guys.  Beware as we are perfectly capable of gumming someone to death :green:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Let's not pick on us poor old retired guys.  Beware as we are perfectly capable of gumming someone to death :green:
Oh I'm not picking on him but merely saying that if he wants to stay, stay.  No need to be sad about going back home...he's retired.   :D

HAL

Only sad I am not taking the OBLS home!  :o

S Clark

Only sad I am not taking the OBLS home!  :o
Believe me, I know.  I've been listening to my LS9's today... and they just don't measure up.   :bawl:
Wow.  They really don't compare. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
OB Line Sources (when done well) spank pretty much everything else out there.  ESPECIALLY if ribbons and/or planars are involved :) 

Anyone have an idea of how these mystery line sources compare to the Mockingbird line sources?  Cause the Mockingbirds I heard 2 years ago are straight up the best speakers I've ever heard. 

HAL

Tyson,
The OBLS were in use today with the dspMusik like your demos using Danny's MAC mini so he could use his demo tracks. 

My listening impressions are that these are the successors to the LS-X speakers that are in the back of his listening room.  These are better in many areas, and improved in some areas with the dspMusik since I could electronically time along the servo woofer array to the main baffle for improved integration in sound quality.

I would suggest that anyone interested in a demo contact GR-Research soon before they go to the owner with the passive crossovers.  I have removed the MS-2 and dspMusik from the system to go to the next person in line for a demo. 

Danny does have pictures from today for a thread on the OBLS and his observations.

HAL

Danny and Scott doing the lonewolf42 pose with the OBLS speakers.

What a great week this has been!

HAL

Time to build a MS-3 to go to the InDIYana event on 17 April with dpd. 

The chassis was running Windows Technical Preview Pro, but will be installing Windows 8.1 today on another mSATA drive for the system.

The MS-3 with the 1TB SSD arrived at the customers place when I was on travel.  Looking forward to hear the comments.

Big Red Machine

Like the HAL logo, looks good.  My lowly old MS2 is still cranking away and doing its thing (staying out of the way)!

HAL

BRM,
That is excellent news! 

We used my MS-2 at Danny's this week with the dspMusik for the OBLS crossover listening.  Still sounds great to me.

TomS

Time to build a MS-3 to go to the InDIYana event on 17 April with dpd. 

The chassis was running Windows Technical Preview Pro, but will be installing Windows 8.1 today on another mSATA drive for the system.

The MS-3 with the 1TB SSD arrived at the customers place when I was on travel.  Looking forward to hear the comments.
Rich, Are you coming to InDIYana yourself?

HAL

TomS,
No, but dpd will have an MS-3 and dspMusik for demo's.

Just got back from Texas and getting ready for Axpona.  Will not make it to the event.