New HT Receiver?

Carlman

Re: New HT Receiver?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2021, 05:14 pm »

The Piega center speakers are priced fairly and with an efficiency of 90 db/W/m are an easy load. Center and surround speakers are usually rolled off at 80 Hz ,...

Reasonable is relative but the only center channels Piega sells (like the tc40 or coax 111) are about 4700  euros. And good luck finding one (even pre pandemic)  If you know of a match to C8 LTDs that is reasonable and available, I'm all ears.
I'm going to make an offer on a used Legacy Silver Screen because I've heard them and while dis-similar is still a very good speaker and easy load, and not as off-sounding as a cheap small psb.

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2021, 08:40 pm »
I like Legacy speakers let us know if you like Silver Screen if you get it.

It looks like Piega changed the woofer cone material so even if you bought a new Piega center it may not sonically match your C8 LTD anymore. I have never heard a Piega speaker, online reviews say they are very fast, clean, precise and open. Is that what you hear?

Stereophile reviewed the Piega C8 LTD in Jan. 2004
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/104piega/index.html

Piega C8 LTD

The only center speaker I have heard that is also very fast, clean, precise and open is the Salk HT2C. The Seas W18 with its magnesium cone is as fast as the Piega's aluminum cone and the RAAL tweeter is easily the Piega's equal.
https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity+HT2C

I have a preference for sealed center speakers but Salk also makes a Supercharged Songcenter and the Song3 Center, one cost a little less, one a little more than the HT2C's $1895. Is that reasonable price? I think so. You would never reach the HT2C's limits, no matter how loud the soundtrack. And dialog is always super clear. You will need to bring an center channel amp to this party.

Carlman

« Reply #22 on: 30 Dec 2021, 06:44 pm »
Wow, thank you for your insights!
Yes, those are my speakers. I had the crossovers completely reworked by the late Rick Craig. 

Salks were on my list of speakers to try years ago, but Rick reworked the Piegas to be perfect.

Clean and detailed is definitely a good description.  Because of their sound, they are not great for heavy metal, or heavy rock that needs a little 'warm distortion'... but they're remarkable for piano, and live acoustic jams. Most music I like sounds great on them. 
I recently acquired some Revel Concerta s12 surrounds to replace my surround Piegas (model S4XL).  I wanted to get the speakers off the floor because they were intruding into a walk space.
To my delight and surprise, these Revels blend better with the C8's. :)

I bought them from a local guy, and he considered selling his center that matched, but ended up keeping it.  That gave me a little hope that I could find a center that was very reasonable.  For now, the legacy is the best choice but I am keeping my eyes open for a Revel as well.

Carl

« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2021, 12:29 pm by Carlman »

Carlman

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2022, 02:16 pm »
New challenge, how to mount this center channel...
For placement, I only have one option, above the screen wall mounted or ceiling mounted, near where the ceiling and wall join. 
The CC I have now is suspended by hooks and cables as a temporary solution until I could find a mount... I decided on but I was going to have there. 
10 years later here we are.

I basically want this:
https://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/products/bt517

However, time seems to have passed me by.  The style of wall mount is no longer available anywhere.  Seems like I would have one in the garage or closet somewhere. But I cannot find one. 

Maybe there's a more modern term for what I'm searching for, and these are used for something else now. I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

Otherwise my other option is to build something. While that sounds fun, I doubt my skills for building something to support a 55 lbs nice ($$$) speaker.

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2022, 03:04 pm »
If you do a search for crt wall mounts on eBay you might find something that meets your need.

Carlman

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2022, 07:44 pm »
I looked, found something close-ish.
If anyone here has anything, let me know.  I might post a WTB if I don't find anything soon...
Thanks,
Carl

Carlman

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2022, 09:33 pm »
If anyone is interested in securely wall-mounting a center channel speaker, I think this is a good option.

I bought it and am waiting for it to ship.. but I'll update if it is anything other than perfect for my application.  I know the front little 'feet' are kind of big which annoys me.. but at the same time looks really secure.  A pair holds 100 lbs.  Just wanted to post this if anyone else is looking for this kind of thing... not a lot of it out there.

-Carl

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2022, 06:29 pm »
If anyone is interested in securely wall-mounting a center channel speaker, I think this is a good option.

I bought it and am waiting for it to ship.. but I'll update if it is anything other than perfect for my application.  I know the front little 'feet' are kind of big which annoys me.. but at the same time looks really secure.  A pair holds 100 lbs.  Just wanted to post this if anyone else is looking for this kind of thing... not a lot of it out there.

-Carl

Carl,

How did this turn out?

I am deciding right now if I put the center channel above the tv or below it.

Thanks,

George

Carlman

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2022, 11:32 pm »
Because of the soffit and the crown molding with up lighting, it turned out, interestingly....
If you don't have all of those issues, and can mount to 2 studs, this bracket is definitely the way to go.
It had to be mounted a little higher than I wanted because otherwise it cast a shadow.
The little feet that I was worried about hide behind the grill so no issues there.
 Hopefully this link will work for photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/895zzv1649p5Knse7