PS Audio vs. D-Sonic

GoBlue1985

PS Audio vs. D-Sonic
« on: 13 Jun 2020, 11:06 pm »
I added a D-Sonic 2 channel to my Krell 5200 when I grabbed two more JTR 110s. I was going to use the D-Sonic for the side surrounds, but then I figured why not try for LR because its more wattage and I haven't heard class d. After about a month, its safe to say that the the difference is nominal for HT usage (my primary usage). But for 2 channel, I don't really love the sound of the D-Sonic. Just sounded a bit strained and sometimes a bit harsh as well. I am thinking of grabbing a pair of PS M700 mono blocks for my LR but haven't heard them either. Any input? I have read a ton, and it seems they have a class A input stage, so it should sound closer to the Krell sound I'm used to? I like the idea of having monos because when I do listen to music, would be nice to have all that power on reserve. I know its not necessary, but I"m just curious if anybody thinks I'll enjoy the PS Audio sound over the D-Sonic. Again, primary usage is HT and gaming, but will have some nice longer music sessions as well. Thanks for any input

Carl V

Re: PS Audio vs. D-Sonic
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2020, 02:18 pm »
You’ll never know till you try it in your system. For what it’s worth those PS audio 700 have a gain cell added. If you look around the Internet and here at AC you’ll see people questioning the gain cell’s 3rd harmonic distortion contribution. YMMV.  And as you said HT & Gaming It’s a wash.

alexbpm

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2020, 08:16 pm »
I owned the PS Audio m700 monoblocks, and I can confidently say that the Class D Audio (thats the brand name) 2 channel amp bested it in dynamics, clarity, soundstage and extension.  Haven't owned the D-sonic but I have owned a dozen or so Class A, AB, D amps.  The Class D Audio is my favorite for the money.  I picked one up used because an Audiogon forum member claimed it sounded as good as his Parasound JC-1 Monoblocks.  Bold claim, but I found it to be accurate.  I would try one first before spending the money on the D-sonic

bocky

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2020, 12:44 am »
I am curious about the PS too.

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2020, 05:12 pm »
I think the good thing about PS Audio is they offer money back guarantee, the best way to know anything is to try them in your own system in your room.

I can’t remember if it’s 30 or 60 days PS Audio offers, the best thing is to call them to find out.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2020, 04:11 am »
The gain cell in the M700's does add some intentional harmonic "flavoring." It gives the amps a sound signature that is different than simply stuffing off-the-shelf ICE modules into a box as many manufacturers do. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with what PSA is doing either. It's just something different. Some will like it. Others won't. Give them a try. That's really the only way to know if they're a good fit for your system, room, and listening habits
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2020, 03:12 pm by RDavidson »

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2020, 04:51 pm »
You might want to look into VTV as well https://vtvamplifier.com/  I have their Purifi model with buffer and Sparkos discrete opamps which gives you a world-class amp with the ability to match your listening preference through choices with different buffer setups.