Bryston now has a BIT

Alpha10

Re: Bryston now has a BIT
« Reply #200 on: 25 Sep 2012, 06:24 pm »
"BIT 16 -  £7,350 - $11,931"
That insane!!!  An equivalent US model is probably the BIT 20 at $3,200.  Assume distributor cost of ~$2,000 in Canada and even with VAT, etc. that is a rather large mark up.  Any idea where the money goes? 

Steve

I was going to be happy to pay up to about £3k (MAX) for the BIT-8, but as you say the UK prices are insane. I assume most of the cost goes on PMC distribution channel, most of whom are not really anything to do with the customer but deal with the retailers. They use to contribute to the UK forums but do not even do that now...

It is a shame I really wanted to protect my SP3/BDP/BDA and stay with Bryston, but I cannot see anyone paying those prices even die hard fans like me.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #201 on: 25 Sep 2012, 06:47 pm »
Hi Folks,

There is not a direct correlation between UK models and North American models:

Here are the specs.

UK international models, they are designed to output 240V at 50Hz. 
•   4A at 240V = 960 VA
•   8A at 240V = 1,920 VA
•   16A at 240V = 3,840 VA

North American Models (120V at 60Hz):
•   10A at 120V = 1,200 VA
•   15A at 120V = 1,800 VA
•   20A at 120V = 2,400 VA
•   45A at 120V  = 5,400 VA

Vipers

« Reply #202 on: 25 Sep 2012, 09:51 pm »

It is a shame I really wanted to protect my SP3/BDP/BDA and stay with Bryston, but I cannot see anyone paying those prices even die hard fans like me.

Cheers

I think I have to agree with you tbh Alpha, there is nothing I'd like more than a BIT to protect my whole system but it looks like I may have to go with another brand this time, unless PMC and Bryston would like to lend me one on permanent demo :wink:

tim92gts

« Reply #203 on: 26 Sep 2012, 09:46 am »
i guess it's another example of impediments to free trade. Duty, VAT and transport could easily cover half the markup.
Add in a bit of dealer margin and you're there.
Must say i've had excellent service from PMC, all of that costs somewhere. Good local suupport was important to me when i chose
the amps.
I've bought direct from USA in the past and price often doubles.
If you're lucky things slip through untaxed but i wouldn't fancy my chances of getting through customs with a BIT 16 in the baggage.

skunark

« Reply #204 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:22 am »
Hello James,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times (even from me), but I can't seem to find a post that states it.    Will the BITs be offered in a 19" faceplate?   The brochure seems to show the 19" version on the cover but only lists out the 17".   Perhaps a happy accident..

Thanks,

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #205 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:28 am »
Hello James,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times (even from me), but I can't seem to find a post that states it.    Will the BITs be offered in a 19" faceplate?   The brochure seems to show the 19" version on the cover but only lists out the 17".   Perhaps a happy accident..

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim

We have not introduced the 19 yet as most of the interest has been with 17. I think it is something we should look at though.

James

MellowVelo

« Reply #206 on: 18 Oct 2012, 12:20 pm »
James,

Do the BIT products isolate components from each other, i.e. are each of the duplex outlets isolated from each other? Does it make any difference to separate digital and analog sources, like a CD player and turntable, by plugging them into separate duplexes? Thanks for your help!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #207 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:13 pm »
James,

Do the BIT products isolate components from each other, i.e. are each of the duplex outlets isolated from each other? Does it make any difference to separate digital and analog sources, like a CD player and turntable, by plugging them into separate duplexes? Thanks for your help!

Its not a total isolation but due to the isolation transformer it is very high.

james

OgOgilby

« Reply #208 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:01 pm »
First off, I've owned a number of power conditioners over the years and have never been all that impressed, so you could say that I was a power conditioner skeptic. I hate to admit it, but I used to chuckle at glowing power conditioner reviews in the past. Now I am the proud owner of a new Bryston BIT.

Every conditioner I have purchased has always been with the intent of protecting our electronics and adding more outlets without messing the sound quality up. More often than not the conditioners harmed the sound in one way or another and certainly never improved everything I was hearing.

Turns out that the last conditioner I tried bleached the timbre. It was surprisingly hard to tell how much the sound was affected with no easy direct comparison, but I knew the timbre just didn't sound right. After going through way too many interconnects, speaker cables, wall treatments, and speaker placements, I was really at a loss.  In desperation I finally started plugging things directly into the wall outlet to see if that would help. Well simply plugging my preamp into the wall outlet improved the timbre noticeably. On the bright side, that conditioner did give me what I thought was a very black background. In fact, a fellow AudioCircle member visited last year and the first thing he mentioned was how dark the background was.

I ended up calling James Tanner and mentioned my power conditioner/wall outlet timbre problem to him and he recommended trying a BIT. Interestingly James never promised any large improvements in sound quality - but he said there may possibly be some minor improvements. He did tell me that the BIT would protect my gear for years and wouldn't harm the sound at all. Sounded like the BIT was perfect for my setup, but I was still hesitant - the BIT costs at least twice as much as any of my previous power conditioners.

The BIT arrived and after maneuvering it into my equipment rack (not easy, since it is as heavy as my amp) I decided that I might as well plug everything (including my 14B SST2 amp) into the BIT and see if I could hear a difference. I wasn't expecting much and assumed that the BIT would need some break in time before I would be able to hear any minor changes.

Well, I was flat out stunned. James had completely undersold the BIT and I immediately notice that the music was smoother, and more "real" sounding than I have ever heard with my setup. By smoother I don't mean blurred or a loss of detail - there was actually more detail now. I'm not sure how to describe the smoothness I was hearing other than to say that the music seemed more effortless. Everything on the soundstage was more clearly defined and it was easier than ever to follow individual instruments or singers throughout a song. I finally am able to hear what people have described as "the back of the soundstage" and I can only attribute that to having a blacker background than I was used to. Instrument timbre is much better - shockingly so. I can't think of any aspect of the sound that hasn't been improved by the BIT.

To top it off, the Bryston BIT also should do a much better job at protecting our electronics. I couldn't be more thrilled with the BIT.

Well done Bryston/Torus and thank you James!

-Greg
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2012, 08:31 pm by OgOgilby »

scb

« Reply #209 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:29 am »
Can I use a bit20/torus rm20 on a 15 amp outlet? 

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #210 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:08 am »
Godfrey Daniel, yours is a helpful post, Og. (Og Ogilby, what a euphonious appellation.)

James and BIT owners, I'd appreciate your advice.

Background
I use an APC S20 for our source components because of its battery backup, as we get occasional brief power outages, just enough to have to reset gear. Yet, I'm not a fan of the MOV design. For our outboard components, two subs and the TV, which are on a dedicated 20-amp circuit, I use three of the compact Brickwall series-mode two-outlet surge protectors.

Question
My 6BSST(C) and two 4BSST(C) amps plug directly into another dedicated 20-amp circuit, so I'm interested the BIT. Would one BIT handle all three amps? Which BIT would be apt?

Got to go milk the elk,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #211 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:12 am »
James, I'd like to second skunark's request for a 19-inch faceplate for the BITs, ideally with handles. My 6BSST weighs about the same as the BIT-20, and the handles are very helpful in maneuvering this hefty unit.

Rich

drummermitchell

« Reply #212 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:19 am »
scb,you can use a 20a BIT on a 15a outlet :thumb:.
I'm sure if you order thru Bryston that they have 20a female(bit side) to 15a male plug(receptacle side)power cable.
Torus has also so I'm sure Bryston has them also.
I had sold my one 20a Torus which came with 20a male plug and the  buyer asked the same thing so I turned him on to Bryston and Torus for a 20a to 15a PC.
Only reason I sold the 20a as I had a long enough PC to plug my sub into the 60a Torus :green:.

scb

« Reply #213 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:31 pm »
Is everyone using the stock power cord on their BIT/Torus model?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #214 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:05 pm »
Is everyone using the stock power cord on their BIT/Torus model?

Not here. PM me if you want more info as I don't want to see this thread turn into another tedious audiophile slap-fight about cables and cords.  :roll:

D.D.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #215 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:22 pm »
Not here. PM me if you want more info as I don't want to see this thread turn into another tedious audiophile slap-fight about cables and cords.  :roll:

D.D.                       Good idea :lol:

scb

« Reply #216 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:32 pm »

D.D.

Hah, I thought about putting some sort of disclaimer in my post about that :)

Thanks

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #217 on: 23 Apr 2013, 08:13 pm »

D.D.

...just fair, DD! :thumb:

al.

spinner

« Reply #218 on: 24 Apr 2013, 10:15 pm »
 Yes, we have grown tired of subjective debates and we are becoming rather a boring group because of this fear. :|

rmurray

« Reply #219 on: 24 Apr 2013, 10:20 pm »
  seems to be the case sometimes :scratch: