Difference Between the Sensation amps?

WC

Difference Between the Sensation amps?
« on: 3 Jun 2011, 09:42 pm »
Currently the difference between the M451 and the M901 are the caps and the Propeller Posts right? I know that there is differing opinion on whether the the Sonicaps or the Auricaps are better. What I haven't heard mentioned is there any dicernable audio difference between the Brass and the Tcopper Propeller Posts? Since this appears to to be the main difference between the two models fr someone who hasn't heard either cap in the amp to determine which is better. I would be looking to add the platinum bypass caps also.

With the Dodd cap change out is that putting in Sonicaps and the platinum bypass caps? Would that be the same as getting a M451 with the platinum bypass caps?

WC

Re: Difference Between the Sensation amps?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm »
Can you still get snow as a color option? On the pull down menu for the M451, I saw two redbrick with columns, but no snow color.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm »
Currently the difference between the M451 and the M901 are the caps and the Propeller Posts right? I know that there is differing opinion on whether the the Sonicaps or the Auricaps are better. What I haven't heard mentioned is there any dicernable audio difference between the Brass and the Tcopper Propeller Posts? Since this appears to to be the main difference between the two models fr someone who hasn't heard either cap in the amp to determine which is better. I would be looking to add the platinum bypass caps also.

With the Dodd cap change out is that putting in Sonicaps and the platinum bypass caps? Would that be the same as getting a M451 with the platinum bypass caps?

another difference is the Auric hookup wire thats used inside the amp.
right now I'm using Clarity Caps SA3.3uf caps in my Sensation and prefer them over any of the other caps I've tried, the nice part about all of this cap madness is that you can self tune to your liking by simply switching them out with a different brand, I've personally tried over 10 different brand/series of caps. I don't run bypass caps in mine.
which cap sounds better is subjective, to many variables to list.

I believe the posts do make a sonic difference, small as it might be they do transfer signal better.

We are out of the white sides sorry.

I'm not sure what your refering to when you say "the Dodd cap change out"
we offer stock (Sonicaps) Platinum bypass upgrade (Sonicaps W/platinum bypass caps)
full upgrade gives you sonicaps + platinum bypass + sonicap .01 highpass caps.

let me know if you have any more questions.

Guys give him your cap feedback, I know quite a few of you have rolled some caps :)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2011, 11:29 pm »
heres a few pics. my caps are pretty big  :wink:

WC

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2011, 12:59 am »

We are out of the white sides sorry.

I'm not sure what your refering to when you say "the Dodd cap change out"
we offer stock (Sonicaps) Platinum bypass upgrade (Sonicaps W/platinum bypass caps)
full upgrade gives you sonicaps + platinum bypass + sonicap .01 highpass caps.

let me know if you have any more questions.

Guys give him your cap feedback, I know quite a few of you have rolled some caps :)

I guess I was talking about the full option with the caps. The one that is a $110 upgrade. What is the benefit on the 0.1 high pass caps?

No sweat about the white side not being available. Not quite sure what color I want or if I even want to spend the extra for the pillars. Tough decisions ahead. :?

dvenardos

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:59 am »
There is a jumper setting for using either the highpass caps (crossover at 80hz) or the full range caps so you will use one or the other at one time.

I like both the auricaps and sonicaps, I have not heard the clarity caps.
The auricaps have a warmer sound and the sonicaps are very neutral to my ears, so it depends on the signature of the rest of your system.

WC

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2011, 03:34 am »
There is a jumper setting for using either the highpass caps (crossover at 80hz) or the full range caps so you will use one or the other at one time.

I like both the auricaps and sonicaps, I have not heard the clarity caps.
The auricaps have a warmer sound and the sonicaps are very neutral to my ears, so it depends on the signature of the rest of your system.

I will be using a sub and the high pass caps. Well my system will be in flux. Most likely I will be using my Baby Advent II speakers and possibly some BOston Acoustics HD9's until I can afford an upgrade. I currently have an Yamaha AX-630 integrated amp, a Denon 5 disc CD player, and an HD tuner. I also have two iPods I use to connect to my system.

So basically I am looking to upgrade my amp, speakers and turntable and add a DAC and a subwoofer. My finished system will sound much different than the current one and it will probably take some time before it is all set. Most of my current equipment is 20 years old, not sure if I will keep the replacements as long, but we will see. Going to upgrade the amp first for my birthday this year since the DAC probably won't be ready.

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2011, 03:51 am »
Don't buy the upgraded caps since you won't be using them. Have Jason upgrade the highpass caps only.
If you are upgrading speakers get on the list for the GR research N2X demo tour, they are a great match with the Virtue amp.

WC

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2011, 04:34 am »
I was looking at the N2X speaker kit. Since it fits a few of my criteria: it fits in my available space and since it is an AS speaker it won't be affect the sound all that much when pushed against the wall in my shelf cubbies. It would actually be kind of fun to build the speaker enclosures since they will be used in my workshop. :)

I may also use the preouts to feed the mains in my HT. That would use the full range caps right?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2011, 01:20 am »
I was looking at the N2X speaker kit. Since it fits a few of my criteria: it fits in my available space and since it is an AS speaker it won't be affect the sound all that much when pushed against the wall in my shelf cubbies. It would actually be kind of fun to build the speaker enclosures since they will be used in my workshop. :)

I may also use the preouts to feed the mains in my HT. That would use the full range caps right?

I will be assembling and selling some of the Gr-Research kits around septembe. will get pictures up once I get a few pairs finished.

I have never tried to use the preamp outs with the highpass engaged, anyone tried this yet? does it highpass the preamp outs ?

srb

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2011, 01:28 am »
According to the Sensation Owners Manual, enabling the high-pass jumper only directs high pass frequencies to the main speaker outputs, but pre-outs remain full-range.

Steve

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2011, 06:00 am »
I have never tried to use the preamp outs with the highpass engaged, anyone tried this yet? does it highpass the preamp outs ?

Jason, this feature is one of the reasons I specifically went after purchasing my 901.  The preamp outs are full range all the time, regardless of the highpass jumper.  I am currently running my sealed super V with the high pass engaged and out to the coaxials with the preamp outs (left to left, right to right) sent to the servo sub amps to give me the full-range signal necessary to use the crossovers onboard the servo amps.  I am using the high pass filter on the amp to keep the low frequency stuff away from the coaxials (which don't use it anyway, as the servos are crossed somewhere between 100 and 120hz), and also as a byproduct of this to give me more (!) headroom for the coaxials, with the main outs on the amp not having to do any heavy lifting.

Short version - GR designs like the super V and V2 (high efficiency mid/high combo with an independently amplified/crossed over low end) seem to be what the sensation amp was purpose-built for.

For what it is worth, with the sonicaps (platinums) in my 901, my coaxials are maybe just a little bit on the analytical side - almost neutral to a fault.  Based on your observations, I think you would really dig the sound with your capacitor choice; I think these speakers are very well paired with gear having a little tube-like flavor.

My biggest nit to pick is since going to the high-efficiency coaxials, the step increments on the volume control using the remote seem pretty darn big - I'm usually a little high on the volume for my listening preference or it gets noticeably low.  If the steps on the volume control were maybe half again as fine as they are now (food for thought for the Three?) it would work better for me with the higher efficiency speakers.  You would probably notice it with the super V, might not be so much with the V2

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2011, 04:59 pm »
Jason, this feature is one of the reasons I specifically went after purchasing my 901.  The preamp outs are full range all the time, regardless of the highpass jumper.  I am currently running my sealed super V with the high pass engaged and out to the coaxials with the preamp outs (left to left, right to right) sent to the servo sub amps to give me the full-range signal necessary to use the crossovers onboard the servo amps.  I am using the high pass filter on the amp to keep the low frequency stuff away from the coaxials (which don't use it anyway, as the servos are crossed somewhere between 100 and 120hz), and also as a byproduct of this to give me more (!) headroom for the coaxials, with the main outs on the amp not having to do any heavy lifting.

Short version - GR designs like the super V and V2 (high efficiency mid/high combo with an independently amplified/crossed over low end) seem to be what the sensation amp was purpose-built for.

For what it is worth, with the sonicaps (platinums) in my 901, my coaxials are maybe just a little bit on the analytical side - almost neutral to a fault.  Based on your observations, I think you would really dig the sound with your capacitor choice; I think these speakers are very well paired with gear having a little tube-like flavor.

My biggest nit to pick is since going to the high-efficiency coaxials, the step increments on the volume control using the remote seem pretty darn big - I'm usually a little high on the volume for my listening preference or it gets noticeably low.  If the steps on the volume control were maybe half again as fine as they are now (food for thought for the Three?) it would work better for me with the higher efficiency speakers.  You would probably notice it with the super V, might not be so much with the V2

Thats right I forgot that we used separate opamps in their own preamp stage for the preamp output section!

you should try the Clarity caps or even the Auricaps if your seeking warmth with less analytical highs.

Let share your volume step issue with Seth, in the case of high efficient speakers I would agree with you, in the case of my speakers I usually have my sensation about 1/3 of the way up when listening and even 1/2 way sometimes.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2011, 08:39 pm »
Yes, volume steps are big on the remote when you're running 99db speakers ;-)

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2011, 03:19 am »
Thats right I forgot that we used separate opamps in their own preamp stage for the preamp output section!

you should try the Clarity caps or even the Auricaps if your seeking warmth with less analytical highs.

The opamp/preamp stage configuration on the preamp outputs is interesting to know, as I thought there was a very (I can't use the word VERY strongly enough) subtle difference in the character of the sound between my bottoms and coaxials running off the mains output.  With my cap choices, the bottom end has just a touch warmer (rounder?) sound to it - nicely blends a little more body into electric bass guitar.

In regards to rolling caps, I'm running a tranquility signature DAC and don't want to put too much of the tube-sound secret sauce into the mix - I don't want to lose the details I'm getting now.  Besides, I'm getting some more stuff brought in to try out to get some more air back into the setup.  Might lose a bit of body, though, so it will be interesting to see how it works out.  I figure once I get the basic signature of the speakers' sound to where I'm at my own personal "happy medium", probably my last step before attacking source and power cords will be to switch to a set of your nirvana speaker cables to get some good copper in the end of the chain and add just a slight touch more warmth if need be.

Yes, volume steps are big on the remote when you're running 99db speakers ;-)

Yeah. . . well. . . you know. . . ;)  Just some food for thought, as these great sounding lower power amps are a solid pairing for use with higher efficiency speaker setups, without having to completely switch to flea-power tubes.  I think pretty soon I'll be at about 91-93db efficient after I change things up, so I shouldn't notice as much. 

Right now I rarely go over a quarter way up the volume knob unless I'm watching a movie (lower gain on the signal from the computer) or giving someone a demo of what the system's got to give.  If I go much past half way up the dial, not only is it uncomfortable to be in the room more than a few minutes, but just past there it will just barely start to soft clip - these coaxials are efficient, sure, but once you start getting on them they get a bit power hungry (and reading their pedigree, I can see how that makes sense).

WC

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2011, 06:31 pm »
Don't buy the upgraded caps since you won't be using them. Have Jason upgrade the highpass caps only.
If you are upgrading speakers get on the list for the GR research N2X demo tour, they are a great match with the Virtue amp.

Are the upgraded caps Sonicaps or something else?

dvenardos

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2011, 07:03 pm »
You can get sonicaps or auricaps.
To my ears sonicaps are neutral and the auricaps are warmer.

Are the upgraded caps Sonicaps or something else?

WC

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2011, 07:50 pm »
You can get sonicaps or auricaps.
To my ears sonicaps are neutral and the auricaps are warmer.

When you make a selection regarding the caps you have four choices:

Auricaps
Sonicaps
Platinum Bypass for $45
Full Replacement (0.1uF, 2.2 uF, Platinum bypass) for $110

Which caps are in the full replacement option? I'm just a little bit confused. :?

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:27 am »
Yeah, should be two options for full replacement, one for sonicaps and one for auricaps.

Auricaps
Sonicaps
Platinum Bypass for $45

Which caps are in the full replacement option? I'm just a little bit confused. :?

brother love

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2011, 01:49 pm »

Auricaps
Sonicaps
Platinum Bypass for $45

The full monty upgrade is all Sonicaps.  They sound great! See this link for info on the Sonicap capacitors: http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap.htm

Pic courtesy of another Virtue Audio thread (although I think this shows 3.3 uF capacitors for full range):