New Sensation M901 finally here, burning it in...

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: New Sensation M901 finally here, burning it in...
« Reply #80 on: 18 May 2010, 02:09 pm »
Hey Harold,
If the issue is that ribbon cable, James had the same problem after Jason did the mods.  He was able to manipulate it manually... anyway, we're sending you a new unit and we'll figure out what is up after-the-fact.
Seth

antonio

« Reply #81 on: 18 May 2010, 07:16 pm »
i'm playing my 901 from more then 200 hours with a jt dynamic (speaker kef q7) and
it sounds very good. also my friends think so...and someone is thinking about have a 901 too...

a question.

i have made a test: i have replaced jt dynamic with a pair of stabilized laboratory power supply 12v in series (is approssimatively like a battery power?).
i'm not sure at all, but my feeling is that bass are more controlled, braked and also bit lower.
someone thinks that is a my wrong impression or could be a technical reason like "laboratory  power is more stabilized than jt and quality sound gets improuve"?
« Last Edit: 19 May 2010, 05:08 am by antonio »

PSB Guy

« Reply #82 on: 19 May 2010, 06:16 pm »
i'm playing my 901 from more then 200 hours with a jt dynamic (speaker kef q7) and
it sounds very good. also my friends think so...and someone is thinking about have a 901 too...

a question.

i have made a test: i have replaced jt dynamic with a pair of stabilized laboratory power supply 12v in series (is approssimatively like a battery power?).
i'm not sure at all, but my feeling is that bass are more controlled, braked and also bit lower.
someone thinks that is a my wrong impression or could be a technical reason like "laboratory  power is more stabilized than jt and quality sound gets improuve"?
Not sure what a stabilized laboratory power supply is, but if it's a battery based supply, I'm not surprised by what you're hearing. Many people have found that batteries give the best results with any of the Virtue amps. Could you post a picture of the power supply you're using?

antonio

« Reply #83 on: 19 May 2010, 09:05 pm »
hallo psb guy.
here a foto of  laboratory stabilized 12v power supply.

PSB Guy

« Reply #84 on: 19 May 2010, 11:37 pm »
That's an interesting set-up, Antonio. I was always under the impression that the more current you could supply to these amps, the better off you would be. It seems that your solution there can only supply 5A max, while the JT will deliver up to 10A. But, I guess it works for you, and that's what matters  :thumb: Anyone else care to chime in?

Light-Echo

« Reply #85 on: 20 May 2010, 02:55 am »
I have a question. What regulates the output of a battery PSU? The demand of the amp? Is this not the ideal PSU then if your battery supply is up to the demand? I have (2) 12v x 26ah batteries for my M-901. Does this not appear then to be the ideal PSU?

Regards
Dave

dvenardos

« Reply #86 on: 20 May 2010, 04:27 am »
Regulation is needed to handle the fluctuation of the voltage on the AC line, with batteries the voltage is constant, gradually decreasing with the discharge rate of the battery. I have not tried batteries but the main benefit seems to be the elimination of all the AC line noise. And yes, the batteries will supply all the current that the amp pulls until it is run dry so to speak.

I have a question. What regulates the output of a battery PSU? The demand of the amp? Is this not the ideal PSU then if your battery supply is up to the demand? I have (2) 12v x 26ah batteries for my M-901. Does this not appear then to be the ideal PSU?

Regards
Dave

antonio

« Reply #87 on: 20 May 2010, 06:53 pm »
psb guy,
i'm sure that 901 needs more than 5A.
the pourpuse of test was just to verify "how quality sound changes from psu like jt antek to linear stabilized power input".
in case of positive test, i'll buy a pair of cyclic sealede 12v battery 10 or 12 AH.
results of test:
i'm sure that nois is become NULL!!!! :eyebrows:
but my problem is about quality change of sound: with a linear stabilized it seems better in bass (like no out of focus), but seems less open on high... :roll:
i need a very experienced people that helps me to understand if difference is real or not.

(nad c454bee, rcf q7, sensation 901, nirvana rca cable, monstre power cable, jt dynamic 30v,10A)

Parkfly

« Reply #88 on: 22 May 2010, 04:52 am »
I just have to make a follow-up post applauding the excellent
support I have received in correcting some issues with my
Sensation amplifier and Piano player.

Seth of Virture Audio is not only a man of words, but a
man of action. Thank you for your help far beyond my
expectations!

Harold

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #89 on: 24 May 2010, 02:34 am »
hello seth, finally got around to hooking up the battery poer supply to the sensation m901 and all i can say is this thing makes music.  i'm using an old onix xcd-88 cdp with pnf interconnects and yacca speaker cables and onix reference one bookself speakers 86 db. 4 ohm. can't wait to try the piano.  what are the individual cost of doing various upgrades to the m451?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #90 on: 24 May 2010, 02:54 am »
Hey Marvin,

So glad to hear that you're all plugged in and jammin'!  There's something toe-tapping about these amps with a decent set of speakers, isn't there?  Thanks so much for posting!!!  Maybe one day James will finish his review so it will be out there in public - just how good the damn thing is.

M451 upgrades are really at the discretion of the upgrader.  Both Jason and Gary Dodd have been upgrading these amps.  Labor's around $50, parts at list on Madisound or PE... Much has been said about the DC blocking caps.  My little VirtuCaps are nice but not as nice as Auricaps, Mundorfs, Sonicaps, etc.  Wiring on the M451 can be upgraded.  Posts are brass and not a big deal if you're running brass connectors on your cables/speakers anyway.

Seth

denjo

« Reply #91 on: 14 Aug 2010, 09:17 am »
What is all this sensation about? Well, that was the question which intrigued me and this weekend I borrowed a 901 (without tube buffer) with the ultimate JT Dynamic PSU. I was quite surprised to see how small the Sensation 901 was. In fact it is one diminutive amplifier - cute, as they would say! On the other hand, the JT Dynamic PSU was almost as big and certainly much heavier than the amplifier!

I hooked it up to my Harbeth SHL5, speaker cables are Auditorium 23s (bi-wired) and IC is LFD's Grainfree. The hookup was very easy and painless! I powered up the Sensation and saw the red light turn blue! No pops, no clicks, no hiss - just dead quiet! From cold, the sound was quite unimpressive and sterile. "Not another digital amplifier sound!" I mused! But, I had read from other posts that the Sensation takes a couple of hours to stabilise and smoothen out. I patiently waited and fed her with some iRadio music. About an hour later, I observed some improvement but still not what I had expected. Maybe there was an expectation gap from reading the gushing reviews here! I gave her another hour and the sound was much smoother, less digital sounding. I felt the chassis and the right side was comfortably warm to the touch. After 3 hours I decided to place the Sensation on three Cardas myrtle blocks - one in front (dead centre, just below the volume pot) and the other two on the left and right rear-side. I turned up the volume and "WOW"! The soundscape grew larger, musical notes hung between the large soundstage. I have never heard such a dramatic improvement from the Cardas tweak! This suggests that the Sensation is very sensitive to placement and would benefit greatly from suitable tweaks.

I have read elsewhere of Seth's warning that analog tuners within 4 ft range of the amplifier might have problems with interference. Well, I am pleased to report that my analog tuner sounds just fine and the rod antennae is sitting right on top of the Sensation with no adverse reaction that my ears can detect!! However, I do realise how uncertain radio interference can be and will report back if there are any dramatic changes for the worse.

Well, so far I am very impressed with the Sensation 901! Although it is still early days, I have never heard such a dramatic improvement in my audio system! I am tempted to wonder how the 901 with Dodds tube buffer (and perhaps cap upgrade) would sound! Can it sound any better than this?

I will report back with further observations soon!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #92 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm »
They get better and better... 8)

Cheerwino

« Reply #93 on: 2 Sep 2010, 01:29 am »
Just got the notice from "Mama Virtue" my Sensation 451 with Dodd Buffer and full cap mod is on the way!

Also getting a 5751 GE triple mica black plate from our buddy OzarkTom!

Can't wait for all the new toys!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #94 on: 2 Sep 2010, 01:34 am »
Enjoy!!! :icon_lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: 2 Sep 2010, 11:07 am »
Just got the notice from "Mama Virtue" my Sensation 451 with Dodd Buffer and full cap mod is on the way!

Also getting a 5751 GE triple mica black plate from our buddy OzarkTom!

Can't wait for all the new toys!

Will you be using them with The Horn Shoppe Horns?  I thought you used a Truth?  No?

Cheerwino

« Reply #96 on: 2 Sep 2010, 11:58 am »
Will you be using them with The Horn Shoppe Horns?  I thought you used a Truth?  No?

Are you suggesting I have more gear than I need?  :lol:

You're right, I have Horn Shoppe Horns and Truth buffered preamp (with First Watt F1 amp / Virtue One). The Horns are staying so, I'll swap other things around for fun and enjoyment and maybe ultimately set up another system.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: 2 Sep 2010, 12:33 pm »
Are you suggesting I have more gear than I need?  :lol:

You're right, I have Horn Shoppe Horns and Truth buffered preamp (with First Watt F1 amp / Virtue One). The Horns are staying so, I'll swap other things around for fun and enjoyment and maybe ultimately set up another system.

No sir!  Never have more then one needs.  I can attest to that.   :duh:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #98 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:15 am »
I received this note from a customer over the weekend!

The amp arrived yesterday and I set it up.

There's definitely a burn-in period!  The first half hour or so there was a *huge* amount of static!  The noise level was so high I could hear it from across the room and it masked low-level music.  An hour later it seemed to quiet down - I'm pretty sure not because my ears adjusted.  Was this from the tube buffer?

The sound in general seemed a bit muffled and shut in.  Now, after a night of being on, the sound is definitely clearing up.... Despite the burn-in issues I could hear from the beginning the potential of the amp - a sweet, smooth midrange shone through.  Can't wait until it finishes burning in and I connect the battery PSU - hopefully the noise floor will drop even more.