Poll

vote only for one that you like it the most.

2B   SST2
5 (5.7%)
3B   SST2
4 (4.5%)
4B   SST2
28 (31.8%)
6B   SST2
3 (3.4%)
7B   SST2
22 (25%)
9B   SST2
1 (1.1%)
14B SST2
11 (12.5%)
28B SST2
14 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Your most favorite BRYSTON power amp

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Your most favorite BRYSTON power amp
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:56 pm »

I voted for the 7's not because I own them ( which I do ), but rather because I saw the 4 had pulled ahead and felt a need to restore a sense of balance and order to the world. It was simply the right thing to do... :D

D.D.

62Truck

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2012, 06:10 pm »
I voted for the 7's not because I own them ( which I do ), but rather because I saw the 4 had pulled ahead and felt a need to restore a sense of balance and order to the world. It was simply the right thing to do... :D

D.D.

Just like Skywalker...will bring balance to the Force.

larevoj

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:31 am »
I vote for 4BSST2  :thumb:

Here is why:

1) It has sufficient headroom to drive any standmount speakers in the world!
2) Perfect for a small to mid size room.
3) Very compact in size and when you add in isolation platform say SRA it is still a comfortable size for most rack.
4) I could have gone bigger monos or stereo but the 4BSST2 continues to surprise me with its quick transient response from absolute silent to explosive orchestra and its delicate highs delivered with such finesse...its as if the 4BSST2 is telling me "hey bud, I am not DONE yet!!".
5) Lastly this 4BSST2 was sold to me by a kind gentlemen whom in spite of struggling with breathing difficulties took the time and patience to shared with me why Bryston amplifier is the only amplifier I would ever need in my Audiophile journey. He has since passed and I am grateful for him.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:40 am »
The 4BSST2 is a very good amp!

SoundGame

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm »
The 4BSST2 is a very good amp!

"very good amp!"...vegas...I'm surprised at your lack of enthusiasm when it comes to mentioning the 4B.  The 4B-SST2 is a wonderful amp, the anchor in the Bryston family of amplifiers.  I'm not sure how much it makes up of Bryston's overall amplifier sales - perhaps James could let us know the latest stats - but, I'd guess that around 50% of Bryston amps are 4B-SST2 in C or P series.  That said, if I was asked which Bryston amp would be my "Favorite", I could not say anything else then the 28B-SST2, I can't see the 4B outperforming the 28B in any area - except WAF and strain on your back and biceps...LOL!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2012, 06:11 pm »
lol. Well, it's great actually, and I own one, an SST. But, imo, the 7s and 28s are the better amps. This is after extensive auditions.

PRELUDE

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2012, 07:21 pm »
Interesting poll or we should call it a racing between 4B and 7B and no vote for 6B.
If I did not have what I have now and somebody would offer me a pair of 28B or 2x6B, I would not even think about it and I would take the 2x6B for a three way active and would out perform most of the 1000w amps in the market.
Now,the 28B is an excellent amp which we all know it but the problem is the speakers not the amp.
If I would have to use the 28s, then I had to use some exceptional drivers and simple design or a full range driver(which is hard to find) and most likely I would go with a passive pre amp.
PASSIVE PRE AMP is not for everyone, but if you have enough gain from your power amp(28B SST2)and desire a clean sound then it is an excellent choice.
How ever you can change as many fuses,power cords,cables,amps or speakers that you are desire to but remember that the crossover inside your speaker box will always be considered as your first and worst enemy in your audio system.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2012, 07:52 pm »
'favorite' vs the one I bought..
Difficult.
The one i bought: Bryston 4B-SST2
the one  dream of owning: Bryston 28B-SST2 (pair)

I just do not have too much interest in the 7's...
If i went for monoblocks, i would go for the 28's.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2012, 05:27 am »
I vote for 4BSST2  :thumb:

Here is why:

1) It has sufficient headroom to drive any standmount speakers in the world!
2) Perfect for a small to mid size room.
3) Very compact in size and when you add in isolation platform say SRA it is still a comfortable size for most rack.
4) I could have gone bigger monos or stereo but the 4BSST2 continues to surprise me with its quick transient response from absolute silent to explosive orchestra and its delicate highs delivered with such finesse...its as if the 4BSST2 is telling me "hey bud, I am not DONE yet!!".
5) Lastly this 4BSST2 was sold to me by a kind gentlemen whom in spite of struggling with breathing difficulties took the time and patience to shared with me why Bryston amplifier is the only amplifier I would ever need in my Audiophile journey. He has since passed and I am grateful for him.

Hi larevoj,
Not only was he kind, but a very wise gentleman. I am sorry to read of his passing. I do believe there is great karma in your amp. Please enjoy it in great health for many years. I really liked you post. Another reason why I keep coming back to the Bryston Limited forum even though I don't own Bryston. I will someday proudly own Bryston. Thank you!

Diamond Dog

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2012, 05:34 am »
I will someday proudly own Bryston.

Get 7's. We need the vote to pull this thing off.  :D

D.D.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2012, 05:38 am »
Get 7's. We need the vote to pull this thing off.  :D

D.D.

I voted for the 28's early. Sorry DD. In the voice of Ralph Cramden, "I am going straight to the top" :)

Diamond Dog

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jun 2012, 06:36 am »
I voted for the 28's early.

Vote early. Vote often.  :green:

D.D.

PRELUDE

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:08 pm »

Hi larevoj,
Not only was he kind, but a very wise gentleman. I am sorry to read of his passing. I do believe there is great karma in your amp. Please enjoy it in great health for many years. I really liked you post. Another reason why I keep coming back to the Bryston Limited forum even though I don't own Bryston. I will someday proudly own Bryston. Thank you!

Your Conrad Johnson will cry if you do not marry it to 7Bs.I know more then few that are enjoying this combo.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jun 2012, 04:35 pm »
Your Conrad Johnson will cry if you do not marry it to 7Bs.I know more then few that are enjoying this combo.
Or 28BSST-2's  ;)

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2012, 06:53 pm »
I'd have to re-wire my old house to power 28's.

I'm still really happy with the endless hours of musical enjoyment that I get from my 2001 vintage 4B-ST.

I actually look forward to powering the big system up and listening.  The depth of stuff that you can hear is just amazing.

HsvHeelFan

tim92gts

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jul 2012, 09:49 am »
Just felt i should show some love for the 14B, got my left one back on Saturday following a lightning
strike repair and they're as good as ever.
Great service from PMC too.

larevoj

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm »
Hi Tdinut, I used to call him up and chat about everything under Bryston and he has wealth of audio information in his head. Its really sad to see him go...he is the one whom strongly recommend me to take up the RM16 (now BIT16) knowing I have limited space to house monos in my setup...

I have to agree we have something special here in Bryston Audiocircle. Though at times we may not agree eye to eye on every subject of discussion but thats how it is in a big family  :thumb:

Hi larevoj,

mv038856

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2012, 06:50 pm »
To name a favorite Bryston amp is a tough call, indeed.

I do like the 2B-LP for its simplicity and its 1U form factor.

I love the 14B for its sheer endless power and its finesse at low levels.

From an engineering standpoint, I like the multichannel amps, namely the 9B and the 6B, best. With the 9B ST a new and improved signal routing and grounding took place which distinguished this amp from the previous ST amps. And if you take a 6B SST into your hands you literally feel its compact power. The top cover of the modules looks even more precious as it is not the usual metal sheet used on the other Bryston amps. The additional care taken on the 6B amps is one reason why a 6B, being more or less a 3 channel version of the 4B, costs more than 50% more than a 4B. The only thing Bryston missed on the 6B is that they moved the power module to the other side of the amp's chassis, compared to the 9B (looking from the back, it's located on the left for the 9B and on the right for the 6B). This way, the heat sink of one channel is on the very left side of the amp's chassis when seen from the back. When rack mounting the amp, some racks offer brackets where one can put the equipment on, supporting the equipment chassis on the left and the right side, taking torque from the front panel. Those supporting brackets would, however, cover the leftmost channel's heat sink completely and therefore cannot be used with a 6B.

This, however, did not prevent me from voting for the 6B 3-channel amp as my favourite Bryston amp, for its sound and its look and feel, especially with the black 19" PRO front panel.  8)

Cheers!

Markus

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jul 2012, 05:20 am »
Hi Tdinut, I used to call him up and chat about everything under Bryston and he has wealth of audio information in his head. Its really sad to see him go...he is the one whom strongly recommend me to take up the RM16 (now BIT16) knowing I have limited space to house monos in my setup...

I have to agree we have something special here in Bryston Audiocircle. Though at times we may not agree eye to eye on every subject of discussion but thats how it is in a big family :thumb:

If we all agreed, there would be no need for any forum and that would be very boring. Cherish your memories, they are special.

Joe

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jul 2012, 01:47 am »
OK,Why do not tell us which one is your most favorite and why if possible.

Prelude,

What about a poll on C / Pro models?

I find myself wondering why didn't I purchase a 4B SST2 PRO ... perhaps I'm still in time.

Fernando.