>$1000
13 (39.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Your music purchases - what say you?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Your music purchases - what say you?
« on: 27 Mar 2012, 02:46 pm »
I was very interested by the many, varied replies to PRELUDEs topic of the price of audio systems and I could not help but wonder how much the average music enthusiast or audiophile spends on their yearly music purchases. This amount can be as diverse as the individual's music tastes and format they enjoy their music in. Some will have an extremely eclectic collection in vinyl, CDs and downloading while others, such as myself, will only have a single format. Throw into this mix, if the individual also enjoys many music genres, their music collection will be very large.

In my circumstance, my music purchases to date are approximately 60 CDs for this year and around the $800.00 mark - I also forecast that I will purchase another 60 or so CDs this year. Another interesting observation is that all my purchases have been conducted online. I would also estimate that my collection is in the 500-600 CD range and 3/4 of this are related to the Gothic genre.

This will be a larger than average year for me with respect to my music purchases as that I now have direct access to many groups that I have enjoyed over the years but was unable to purchase their music at my local "brick and mortar" stores. One feature that I never realized was the ability to use my iPod as a catalogue source for quick reference to ensure that I would not purchase any duplicates.

What say you  :scratch:

Be well...

HsvHeelFan

Re: Your music purchases - what say you?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »
I'm still purchasing 20 -30 CDs a year.  I'll order them at my local Barnes and Noble, if they don't have what I'm looking for in stock.  All it takes is a UPC code and they can get it in.  It usually takes on a couple of days.

I get the 10% B&N discount and usually can stack a 20% off coupon as well.

HsvHeelFan

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:02 pm »
8-10 cd's per year, 5-10 hi rez downloads, 100+ vinyl with a total outlay of about $1000-1200 annually 

SoundGame

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:23 pm »
I legitimately purchase all my music but focus on quality rather than quantity.  On average I purchase about two CD's / month, at around $15 per CD.  I don't usually get into collector sets and keep to the best of the artists albums rather than acquiring all their albums.  I don't do any downloading, as that would be only for hi-rez purposes, for which I currently have not acquired the necessary gear.  I do purchase vinyl but this is limited to probably a couple or so albums per year at a cost of around $30 each.  So annual purchases would be just over $400.

werd

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2012, 06:52 pm »
Rrrrrrrrrrr.....have you ever been to sea mateee?

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PRELUDE

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:15 pm »
I voted over $1000 but I must admit that I paid close to $2000 once a while.I like few genres and also like to find new music and it gets more and more expensive and even it gets worst when you cannot find it used.I have no interest for movies and I have never paid for cable in my life.But I go crazy for music. :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:31 am »

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ok buddy, gotta say you lost me.... :scratch:

Anyhoo :
I spend a silly amount of money on music. With fairly broad tastes and a love for hearing things I haven't heard before, I never have trouble finding things to buy. Latest score was a 50-disc classical box set I bought a couple of days ago. I've got about ten more discs on order right now. With my system nearly finished and with a thought to growing my SACD collection, it's going to get even sillier....  :shake: 

D.D.

werd

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:43 am »
Ok buddy, gotta say you lost me.... :scratch:

Anyhoo :
I spend a silly amount of money on music. With fairly broad tastes and a love for hearing things I haven't heard before, I never have trouble finding things to buy. Latest score was a 50-disc classical box set I bought a couple of days ago. I've got about ten more discs on order right now. With my system nearly finished and with a thought to growing my SACD collection, it's going to get even sillier....  :shake: 

D.D.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2095549696/tt0449088

Diamond Dog

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:48 am »

sfraser

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:03 am »

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

No but I have been blown into a pirates cove many a day!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:25 am »
I spent $1,000. on new to me used music in the last 30 days....  (and nearly as much the month before) :oops:
Yeah I had some extra cash from selling off weeded junk. But my spending is usually in the hundreds per month anytime.. 90% of that on used music, locally or Amazon.

I have a stack of about fifteen Lps i still have not listened to from last Fridays venture to the second hand store. Then the stuff arriving daily in the mail...

Besides all that to listen to, I am trying to reweed the Rock CDs again. just to thin them out a bit.
So I have a pile of those qued up to listen to, to see if i want to keep or toss.. (Beside the 'yeah toss those out' ones..) I plan on dumping a hundred out of a thousand as another round of cleaning up the collections.

((Right now I am listening to Laurie Anderson Bright Red.. deciding to toss or keep, and that seems a keeper... Next up Audioslave Audioslave) ((tossed Audioslave, now up is Babylon Circus: Dances of resistance))

jaxwired

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:33 am »
I spent $1,000. on new to me used music in the last 30 days....  (and nearly as much the month before) :oops:
Yeah I had some extra cash from selling off weeded junk. But my spending is usually in the hundreds per month anytime.. 90% of that on used music, locally or Amazon.

I have a stack of about fifteen Lps i still have not listened to from last Fridays venture to the second hand store. Then the stuff arriving daily in the mail...

Besides all that to listen to, I am trying to reweed the Rock CDs again. just to thin them out a bit.
So I have a pile of those qued up to listen to, to see if i want to keep or toss.. (Beside the 'yeah toss those out' ones..) I plan on dumping a hundred out of a thousand as another round of cleaning up the collections.

((Right now I am listening to Laurie Anderson Bright Red.. deciding to toss or keep, and that seems a keeper... Next up Audioslave Audioslave)
Thining out a CD collection is like thining out a closet.  Never try the stuff on.  That just leads to hording.  If I haven't worn it or listened to it in a long time, it's out.

Elizabeth

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:45 am »
Thining out a CD collection is like thining out a closet.  Never try the stuff on.  That just leads to hording.  If I haven't worn it or listened to it in a long time, it's out.
Been there, done that too.  :wink:
I can handle it.

Laundrew

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2012, 11:34 am »
"I legitimately purchase all my music..."

:thumb:

I could not agree more. It is amazing the amount of pirating that goes on with respect to movies and music. I always support the bands that I enjoy by purchasing their music. I wonder how individuals whom pirate music/movies would feel if their employers decided not to pay them for a days work.

I don't usually get into collector sets and keep to the best of the artists albums rather than acquiring all their albums. 

I like to try and collect all of the band's albums as I like to see how their music evolves. I am a little guilty of hoarding, if I do not enjoy an album, I will keep it instead of selling it. Forgive me as I am weak.

:wink:

Be well...

Diamond Dog

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2012, 11:43 am »

I could not agree more. It is amazing the amount of pirating that goes on with respect to movies and music. I always support the bands that I enjoy by purchasing their music. I wonder how individuals whom pirate music/movies would feel if their employers decided not to pay them for a days work.

I like to try and collect all of the band's albums as I like to see how their music evolves.

+1 and  +1

D.D.

Laundrew

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2012, 11:52 am »
Greetings D.D.  :D

I also forgot to mention "or devolves," I have some real "gems" sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

:duh: :lol:

Be well...

werd

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2012, 06:44 pm »
:thumb:

I like to try and collect all of the band's albums as I like to see how their music evolves. I am a little guilty of hoarding, if I do not enjoy an album, I will keep it instead of selling it. Forgive me as I am weak.

:wink:

Be well...

:lol: the irony of this statement led me to bust a gut. You realize thats the biggest complaint from artists about their record label.....

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:22 am »
I've got a new M.O. when it comes to music now...

I've checked out about 40 or so CDs from my local library in the last few weeks.  Ripped them to my hard drive.  Before you all start panicking and acusing me of illegal activity, here's my plan - listen to them a few times.  If its something I'd like to own, I'll buy a copy.  If not, delete.

I borrowed a few friends' iPods in the past and did the same thing.  Discovered a few artists and albums I'd passed over before.  I bought the stuff I really digged, and deleted the crap.

Check out your local library.  An easy way of hearing some new stuff, and in CD quality rather than mp3 from the online services.  And it's free. 

werd

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:41 am »
I've got a new M.O. when it comes to music now...

I've checked out about 40 or so CDs from my local library in the last few weeks.  Ripped them to my hard drive.  Before you all start panicking and acusing me of illegal activity, here's my plan - listen to them a few times.  If its something I'd like to own, I'll buy a copy.  If not, delete.

I borrowed a few friends' iPods in the past and did the same thing.  Discovered a few artists and albums I'd passed over before.  I bought the stuff I really digged, and deleted the crap.

Check out your local library.  An easy way of hearing some new stuff, and in CD quality rather than mp3 from the online services.  And it's free.

Rrrrrrr

Elizabeth

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:26 am »
I buy nearly all used music. So my sense of investment is small. Anything i do not think of as decent music gets either tossed or resold.
Sometimes I think I just do not yet understand this music, so I keep it, or I am just not into it now.
I hoard stuff. but not just to hoard piles of stuff. It has to be pretty good to keep it around.
Consider I have 6,000 Lp and around 3,000 Cds.. I am always buying more.. but I keep the catche at the same level...